Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Professional Writing?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Writing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jailcrow_of_Mandos
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering who else was involved in- I hate to say 'real' writing- but writing that gets published or you hope will get published? I'm the Feature Editor of my school's newspaper, so I do a lot of writing and laying out there. We have six issues a year and just went to a larger, 'broadsheet' format. I've also submitted my first novel for publication and received two rejection letters so far Very Happy It was surprisingly a refreshing feeling that got me more determined on sending out query letters again.

But in any case, what do you do ^.^?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
silver_dreams
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, kudos to you!

i haven't really done as much 'professional writing', i have done a few poems and completed an entire book and a 25-chapter unfinished sequel with a co-author of mine. it's been a hope of mine for a long while now to get a book published, and i'm currently working on a story that hopefully will work out well.
Jailcrow_of_Mandos
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah neato =) My friend Dave and I are compiling short stories as a sequel to my book, and I'm working on species histories and languages for another idea I had right now. Ugh, I bought that Writer's Market to find publishers, but I think at this point it could be easier to self-publish -.- 700$ vs. months of waiting. Which way do you plan to go? And have you ahd to write a query letter yet? -.- Oh, I hate them. It's so ahrd to sumamrize two years of work into one page Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DG-sama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in highschool I was a reporter for the school newspaper off and on. I mostly did reviews for stage productions. In my senior year I was the arts and entertainment editor/editor-in-chief (cause the actual editor-in-chief was a lazy ass bastard I did all the work . . . .)

God damn you signature WORK!
Jailcrow_of_Mandos
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know how you feel about the whole Editor-In-Chief business -.-' We ahd a great one alst year, but this new one is sort of a ditz. They offered the position to me, but I thought it would be too much work since I have so many interests to contend with >.> That's pretty neat, though =) We didn't get a lot of reviews for the stage productions last year, but there is a new girl who likes to take them on. Oddly enough, she's blind >.> excellent writer, though XD

But yes, this new Editor-In-Chief is goign to drive me crazy... One of the other writers said that if she didn't get her act together, she would take over the position. This is my senior year, and I don't want to bog myself down in newspaper and let my other grades slack >.>
xWildfirEx
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am photographer for the school paper. Cool

But no, no professional writing. I don't have the self-disipline to sit down and write an entire novel, so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jailcrow_of_Mandos
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That's great! I love writing-- and drawing, but I couldn't take a decent picture to save my life =) The photographers on our paper are all pretty good. They have to sue all these different type sof film and discuss angles and what not with the teacher, but...yeah- considering they're msotly for sports, I don't see why they bother Razz
silver_dreams
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my school doesn't even have a newspaper...
silver_dreams
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did submit like seven poems for last year's literary magazine in my school, only 2 got accepted cos of lack of entries, sadly. Entered the book i had completed with my co-author into the literary contest, but some idiot effed up and put it into 'children's book' category, of which it is NOT. <_<
Jailcrow_of_Mandos
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just edit in that paragraph of my query letter...This is what my book is about =_ -- though I'm getting much more involved with my odler favorite story again ^.^ :

I am requesting permission to submit my manuscript for evaluation. The working title Nuranen is a medieval fantasy of approximately 92,000 words. The novel begins simply with the main character, a young immigrant blacksmith suffering in the poverty of a war torn country, Nuranen, while trying to maintain his childhood hope and innocence. He aids and befriends a group of travelers, who he soon realizes are from an enemy country. Urged by the suffering of his people, he agrees to help them put an end to the Nuranen monarchy. As the plot becomes clearer to them, though, they realize the true enemies are mages from a previous war that have infiltrated Nuranens government. They serve a dark order called the Black Wind, which consumes them while giving them gifts of unnatural abilities.

The market for this book are fantasy fans from young adult and up, taking advantage of the rise in popularity in that genre. It is better than other books of the genre because of its reflection on morality throughout, taking common themes in our lives, answering questions of the common people through real characters, while retaining a mystical atmosphere. The story shows how ordinary people mature and return to morals they had forgotten along the way, each being tested by the offering of power in exchange for what they hold dear. The people unite together to defeat evil in an epic battle and renew the pride and dignity that had disappeared due to their greed.

Guh, I hate writing query letters. They always sound so lame no matter what you do -.-
n8comics
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reject their rejection letters.
silver_dreams
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Laughing

"THis is on behalf of your rejection letter; I'm not accepting it"
xWildfirEx
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like getting letters.

*tries to think of sosmething about professional writing to save her spamming ass*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silver_dreams
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a lot of ideas for novels, but my problem is i can never stick to just one and end up combining them and changing them until they become too complicated for me to understand my own notes. @_@
RiRiana
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a few novel ideas right now, and I've been working on a fictional history book for about 8 months. I hope that I'll be able to get something published, but I don't know yet. My writting is still improving and I feel like I HAVE to keep rewriting everything as I become a better writer. Its incredibly frustrating!!! Grr!
Jailcrow_of_Mandos
Still very bored

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gar! The pain! There is a branch of my school called "The Academy," where kids go to work at their own pace because they either want to leave early or likely have learning disabilities, since our school is just that easy. A small group there got a children's book published about a lobster that goes to college! One, the drawings were terrible, and two, I doubt any child will ever grow up to say how the story about the lobster going to college influenced their life. When I was a kid, I read The Great Illustrated Classics series. The way things are going-- those are the only books (and Dr. Seuss) that should be allowed in children's libraries :/

Anyways...I got another rejection letter! That makes three, now. >.> But I'm moving on while waiting for the other four and making the [u]Silmarillion [/u]into a screenplay. It takes a lot less effort, really, and it's something I've wnated to do for some time.

That's great that you're writign a amde-up history, RLL. That's what my [i]Void [/i]stories are about, but I haven't gotten past the first hundred or so years yet >.> need to establish the culture roots first--- which is why it's on hold for a few months ^.^
kenshinswife
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm yearbook this year for my school and personally...I hate it!!!! I like writing my stories..not the schools...but the pictures are fun.... ^_^
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Writing Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: