Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Jthm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with Jenni (my best friend tonight) and we got on the subject of JTHM (a comic we read way back early high school).

We noticed there were a lot of kids on FAC who loved this comic T.T;; to the point that they were saying they were going to marry Nny and all that jazz...

What's funny, is most of these "fans" are the very people that creator, Jhonen Vasquez, is mocking in the comic. (a type of personality we like to refer to as "wiener goths")

They skip past all the dialogue that pertains to the actual storyline of JTHM and skip to the random murderous rants of Johnny and Happy Noodle Boy T.T;;;;

Basically I'm posting this in hopes of finding others who've noticed.
So, anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't read the comic, but I see that in a lot of things. People don't realize it's mocking [i]them[/i] and love it all the same. Hey, it goes way back, "Hamlet" anyone? Very Happy
Lexar
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or for the less informed crowd: starship troopers. The dutch movie director had set the movie up to be a sceptical view on the way americans fight wars, with the media, and the propaganda and such, but nobody in the US got the message, and just saw a film where soldiers shoot at big insects.
clarion
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lexar (Lexar)"] Or for the less informed crowd: starship troopers. The dutch movie director had set the movie up to be a sceptical view on the way americans fight wars, with the media, and the propaganda and such, but nobody in the US got the message, and just saw a film where soldiers shoot at big insects. [/quote]
Wasn't that the point of the book it was based on? :D

I've never read JTHM so I can't comment on what it does or doesn't do, but Vasquez certainly draws an obnoxious breed of fanchild.
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Raymei (Raymei A. L. Klisea)"] What's funny, is most of these "fans" are the very people that creator, Jhonen Vasquez, is mocking in the comic. (a type of personality we like to refer to as "wiener goths") [/quote]
Exactly! There's even this one part in issue #7 where it's not so subtle. Nny actually comes right out and says to Jimmy, You f***ing idiot!! Admire me?!! You s***! I'm the villain in this f***ing story!" And then he tears appart his insides while telling him to be a better judge of character, yadda yadda. If people read that and still don't get it, then they're just morons (for lack of a better term, considering this isn't unmoderated).

[quote]We noticed there were a lot of kids on FAC who loved this comic  T.T;; to the point that they were saying they were going to marry Nny and all that jazz...[/quote]
What's scarier is that there are actually JtHM slash fics and yaoi fanart. :ph34r: Jhonen says "It makes me ill. Ill to my belly. My ill-prone belly."
CheshireGoddess
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jhonenfreak (Amy H)"]
What's scarier is that there are actually JtHM slash fics and yaoi fanart. :ph34r: Jhonen says "It makes me ill. Ill to my belly. My ill-prone belly." [/quote]
Seems like any 13 year old girl teenager lovestruck on anything "cool" at the moment can make ANYTHING and ANYONE gay <_< I will admit yaoi isn't that bad but when people find a way to make a cheap gay couple in EVERYTHING its just plain annoying and retarded Grr!
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jhonenfreak (Amy H)"] If people read that and still don't get it, then they're just morons (for lack of a better term, considering this isn't unmoderated). [/quote]
like I said, they don't read the stuff that actually matters T.T;; just the cursing and random shouts like when he was yelling about hating the word "wacky"
*rolls eyes*

Several specific people keep rising to mind but I'm sure (by responses) you know who I'm talking about without actually naming them T_T;;;

And I never saw Star Troopers o_o but now I want to lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CheshireGoddess
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Troopers is actually pretty good, I found it funny Cool
Beatlechick90
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CheshireGoddess ()"] [quote="jhonenfreak (Amy H)"]
What's scarier is that there are actually JtHM slash fics and yaoi fanart.  :ph34r:  Jhonen says "It makes me ill.  Ill to my belly.  My ill-prone belly." [/quote]
Seems like any 13 year old girl teenager lovestruck on anything "cool" at the moment can make ANYTHING and ANYONE gay <_< I will admit yaoi isn't that bad but when people find a way to make a cheap gay couple in EVERYTHING its just plain annoying and retarded Grr! [/quote]
Oh yeah, I know, don't even get me started on that Beatles slash fiction. Rolling eyes
Hanami

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that series. I own all seven books, the Squee! series, and the Director's Cut. I had originally gotten them for the random violence, but there is quite a bit of plot and character evolution and what have you.

But yeah, Jhonen makes fun of goths and people who read it for the blood a LOT. Examples are Anne Gwish and Jimmy. But the little fucks just love it even more for those reasons. Probably think they're getting paid homage to. (Bad Grammar! Woo!)

I'm just rambling now. So it's time to stop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ragingflea002
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Or for the less informed crowd: starship troopers. The dutch movie director had set the movie up to be a sceptical view on the way americans fight wars, with the media, and the propaganda and such, but nobody in the US got the message, and just saw a film where soldiers shoot at big insects.[/quote]
I got it, but who cares? It's a film to entertain, so it's really a moot point on the "politics".
And damn you for not bowing down to Uncle Sam. WE WANT YOU!!! Grr!
Hanami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That movie is pure s**t. He may have been trying to make some point or another about propaganda, but it was lost among the "let's go shoot things!" messages. It just seemed like any other action movie. Has anyone actually read the book? It was butchered. I should have a transitional topic. But I won't.

The book was butchered into a craptastic movie = the long and short of it.

I am rambling again...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jailcrow_of_Mandos
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious in Starship Troopers just because every frickin person in that movie was American- if I remember. It was a pretty stupid movie- yet comes on the sci-fi channel like every day. Where were the British people to fight the giant insects Razz ?

Yeah, I love JthM because of that very irony. I skip the bloody parts because frankly the drawings aren't really too incredible, but I love Vasquez' sense of humor, especially the whole Flusher bit. i thought that was a pretty creative concept- and then discovered it in several other stories as well and was no longer impressed. Still funny at parts, though.

The part that comes to mind is when they're at the movies and making fun of his boots, and that lady starts going on and does spell it out word for word :/ Literally. Just goes to show how stupid these people are, I guess. It makes me sad. Glad my grammy took me to the library when I was younger so I wouldn't grow up to be a dip s**t Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pyrodragon125
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jthm....hah...
I never thought I would see this topic.

My ex-gf loves these comics. She loves Invader Zim, so when her dad got a series of Jthm for her she flipped. She made me read parts of it but I just smiled and nodded. It didn't interest me all that much considering she was making me read all the murder scenes. I believe "Holy s**t what the hell is this?" was my first reaction when she opened the book straight to a bloody corpse. I really just wanted to have some fun before her parents came home BUT that's not the point. Rolling eyes She's the perfect example of what you're saying, Raymei Laughing
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lexar (Lexar)"] Or for the less informed crowd: starship troopers. The dutch movie director had set the movie up to be a sceptical view on the way americans fight wars, with the media, and the propaganda and such, but nobody in the US got the message, and just saw a film where soldiers shoot at big insects. [/quote]
Correction: The propaganda was one of the first things that really popped out at me from the film, though I don't think they do [i]that [/i]good of a job of conveying it.

I can also see some of what Reymei is talking about in Invader Zim, though it is not as prominent.

[color=black]"Your toast is burnt and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff!" ~ Caboose, Red vs. Blue[/color]
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="VR_Jay (Will)"] I can also see some of what Reymei is talking about in Invader Zim, though it is not as prominent. [/quote]
In a way it is. All these fan girls keep repeating Gir quotes such as, "I'm gonna make toast!"... but they never really mention the actually funny stuff. One quote I liked for example:
[quote]Tak: The great thing about your people, Dib, is that most of them don't notice. All the see is another faceless corporate venture, not a plan for world conquest.
Dib: Wait, is there really a difference?[/quote]
It's the irony like that that's really funny, but many people don't seem to notice it.

Half of my fanart comments are Gir quotes and not real comments. <_< Not that I don't like them, but jeez.
Mountain_Dewroo
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! And all of them love Dib
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They love it a little [i]too [/i]much. Maybe you haven't noticed, but there is far too much JTHM and Zim yaoi s**t out there. WTF?

[color=black]"Your toast is burnt and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff!" ~ Caboose, Red vs. Blue[/color]
Pyrodragon125
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I can also see some of what Reymei is talking about... [/quote]
Surprised Will you've been around long enough to learn how to spell Raymei!! Tisk tisk I'm very disappointed. Razz

And yea that's pretty creepy that they have a little boy on green alien yaoi...... WTF?
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack! I misspelled Raymei! Spelling error, flog me now. Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: