Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The FAC Dictionary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: The FAC Dictionary Reply with quote

Because people ask questions about what these terms mean, let's start work on a dictionary for FAC terminology. Feel free to suggest terms, but keep in mind, it must be a term related to FAC, or a term we commonly use in here.

- - - - -

[b]Abuse Team[/b] - A group of FAC site staff responsible for investigating reports of suspected art theft, and posessing the authority to delete pictures from FAC if or when art theft has been confirmed.

[b]Animal-Eared[/b] - See [i]Kemonomimi[/i].

[b]Anthro[/b] - Shorthand for "anthropomorphic character", a subject which is primarily animal-based, but which incorporates some humanlike qualities (such as standing bipedal). See [i]Furries[/i].

[b]Approval Panel (AP)[/b] - A group of FAC site staff responsible for screening and reviewing submissions to FAC for compliance with official submission rules and policies.

[b]Art Theft[/b] - Submitting a work to one's gallery which is in fact the creation and copyright of a different user. It is not necessary for the person to attempt claiming credit for the stolen work, because other users will assume that the picture is their creation and give them credit, instead of the original artist (hence, the person is "stealing" praise from the original artist). Art theft is THE most severe violation of FAC submission policy, and will result in progressively severe punishment, up to and including being banned from FAC.

[b]Art Trade[/b] - An agreement in which two artists each fulfill one request for the other.

[b]Auto Approval[/b] (AA) - A feature by which regular, established FAC members do not need to have their submissions screened by FAC site staff.

[b]Avatar[/b] (avvie) - A small, thumbnail-sized (64x64 or smaller) picture that appears underneath your username on every forum post you make. This is a picture that people will associate with you, and it will help identify your posts.

[b]Bumping[/b] - To add a short reply onto a topic which is far down the list in a subforum, solely for the purpose of making that topic appear higher up in the list where other users will more easily see it. 'Bump' posts can be spotted by the fact that they offer no actual discussion or contribution to the topic at hand, and many such posts say nothing more than, literally, "bump". Bumping a topic is generally not allowed.

[b]Category Team[/b] - A group of FAC site staff responsible for keeping the category heirarchy organized. The Category Team processes requests for new submission categories and oversees the addition of new ones, and also has the authority to organize mis-placed pictures into their proper sections.

[b]Commission[/b] - To hire an artist for the creation of a specific scene or character art the user has in mind. The user will pay the artist for their time, and the artist will deliver/ship the finished work to that user in exchange.

[b]Copyright[/b] - A legal term acknowledging the author/creator/owner of a work.

[b]Copyright violation[/b] - See [i]Art theft[/i].

[b]Cross-posting[/b] - To post the same topic in multiple sections of the forums, as a means to make it more visible and encourage more people to participate in it. This is not allowed, and will usually result in the closure of all topics by a moderator.

[b]Denis[/b] - Nickname for "cstdenis", FAC's proprietor and webmaster. His legal name is unknown.

[b]Double-posting[/b] - To make two consecutive replies to the same thread during a single visit, a single day, or a generally short span of time during which it is unlikely for anyone else to have responded already. May also refer to posting the same thread multiple times within a single area of the forums. Double-posting is not allowed because, in most cases, you can use the "edit" feature to make additions or updates to your original post.

[b]Doujinshi[/b] - A comic strip or manga created by a user and uploaded ("published") to their user gallery in sequential order. Also used for fancomics.

[b]Exorcism[/b] - See [i]Necromancing[/i].

[b]Fanart[/b] - Any artistic work created by one artist which is inspired by or based upon the work of another artist (or, usually, a commercial studio production such as anime or videogames).

[b]Fan-Character[/b] - A fictional character thought up by one artist, [i]based on or with respect to an existing work or series by another artist[/i]. Fan-characters can often be referred to as the name of their series plus "OC"; e.g., "Inu-Yasha OC", "Harry Potter OC", "Sonic OC", or so on. Because they are based upon a series, fan-characters are by definition a type of fanart.

[b]Fan Comic[/b] - A doujinshi based on an existing work or series.

[b]Flaming[/b] - To deliberately attack, threaten to harm, or otherwise verbally abuse another user. This is a violation of forum etiquette and will be punished.

[b]Forum(s)[/b] - The FAC discussion boards as a whole, or an individual discussion area (subforum) inside the discussion boards. [i]Does NOT[/i] refer to individual topics of discussion themselves.

[b]Furries[/b] - A loosely-defined fandom centering around animals. Furry artwork encompasses themes such as kemonomimi, anthropomorphism, fursonae, and other fictional animals.

[b]Fursona[/b] - An animal character (usually an anthropomorphic) based on the artist who drew them.

[b]Hijacking[/b] - Attempting to abruptly change the subject of discussion in a forum thread, and resisting efforts by other users to return to the original topic.

[b]Kemonomimi[/b] - Translates as "animal ears". A genre of art involving characters who appear human but with added animal features, such as furry ears, a tail, and sometimes gloves that resemble paws. Often associated with the furry fandom.

[b]Kiriban[/b] - A unique (and usually high) number produced by a counter (such as # views, # faves, etc.) . On the FAC forums, when your post count reaches certain values, you will receive a hidden member title based on that number, until you make your next post, where your member title will return to normal.

[b]Modding[/b] - May refer to moderator action, i.e. the editing/censoring of another's post by a forum moderator. Has a completely different meaning when used in an RP context.

[b]Multiple-posting[/b] - Any number of consecutive replies to a single topic by the same user, with no replies from other users inbetween. The most common form of multiple-posting is the [i]Double-post[/i], but in some cases 'bumping' may also be confused with multiple-posting.

[b]Necromancing[/b] - An occasional term for the bumping of a [i]very[/i] old topic, one which has not seen any replies within weeks or months. As with bumping, this is generally not allowed and may result in moderator action.

[b]Newbie[/b] - Any user who is new to FAC, or new to FAC's forums. This is intended as an observation of fact, and should not be construed as an insult even though newbies may make common errors such as double-posting, or asking a question which has already been covered in the Site FAQ.

[b]N00b (noob)[/b] - Any user who continues to act "new" to the forums even after other users have adjusted to the rules. Some n00b's continue to double-post, spam, or hijack other topics even after being repeatedly told how to avoid doing so. Unlike [i]Newbie[/i], this IS an insult.

[b]Original Character (OC)[/b] - A fictional character (usually a human character), wholly conceived and depicted by an artist. Generally, an OC is completely original, meaning that it is NOT based on any existing work (anime series, videogame, etc.). Compare with [i]Fan-character[/i].

[b]Posting Party[/b] - A situation where two or three members rapidly post back-and-forth replies to each other in a given thread, usually to the exclusion of other members' input in the discussion. This may be viewed as spamming.

[b]Request[/b] - An idea or concept for a drawing which a user offers to a specific artist (or to other artists in general), for them to fulfill. Unlike a commission, there is no exchange of payment or delivery/shipping of the actual result between the artists.

[b]Role-Playing[/b] (RP) - On the FAC forums, we use a freeform style of roleplaying that does not rely on established architecture (statistics, numbers, probability or dice -- i.e. things you would see in a D&D roleplay), but instead flows and progresses like a novel, where multiple users take turns narrating the story through the actions and perspective of the character(s) they play.

[b]Smiley[/b] - A small image used to help convey emotion in a user's forum post. For example, ending a sentence with the Rolling eyes or Razz smiley may indicate that the user is being sarcastic and that the preceding comment should not be taken seriously.

[b]Spamming[/b] - Deliberately posting a reply to a topic with no relevance whatsoever to the subject of discussion, for no apparent reason other than that the "Reply" button was visible and responded when clicked on. More generally, spamming can also include [i]bumping[/i], [i]multiple-posting[/i], [i]cross-posting[/i], and posting a topic to the wrong sections of the forums.

[b]Thread, topic[/b] - A page (or series of pages) recording discussion of a certain specific issue, located inside of the forums.

[b]Trade[/b] - See [i]Art Trade[/i].

Last edited by Stratadrake on Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 pm; edited 7 times in total
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Denis is FAC's president, then I nominate Strata as secretary.

:thumbs up: What would we do without you, Strata?
Ogrim_Doomhammer
Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strata simply makes everything clearer..... for all of us Wink

www.pandora.com Find New Music You Like.... Free
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add avatar hijacking.

process of copying the url of a person's avatar and using them yourself.

[img]http://forum.fanart-central.net/uploads/av-18287.jpg[/img]
I eat foreskins!

LunaticCrow
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foreskin is delicious, that is why the jews hate it.

Will there ever be a :teach: defintion or whatever in this? :0
Paru
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand job with this, Strata. :)

Most of this applies pretty well to all art sites, actually.
Ogrim_Doomhammer
Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian and Brad, remember that this isnt random....

www.pandora.com Find New Music You Like.... Free
Hawk4444
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW i actually can't think of a single thing that wasn't mentioned in that list.

if i figure something out i'll be sure to post it here. Nice work on the FAC dictionary.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exorcism - A rare and extreme case of bumping, generally to topics which have gone for months without any replies.

Though that was 'thread necromancy'...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: