Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Why Are You Here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said it before when miss perfect what bitching about the "petty topics", negative threads always last longer. Because you can go on and on about how much you hate something but "Dude, ____ is cool." "Yeah, it rocks" gets old real fast.
RoseDagger
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined about a year ago. I found the site while i was looking for fanart on google. So i looked around and decided that i like the site. I joined and at first but didnt do much art it was mostly my stories i was waiting for comments on. I still dont have a lot of art but i enjoy drawing and being in the forums.
^_^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the site the same way. Anyone able to guess what fan art I was looking for? Very Happy I saw how awesome this site was so I got an account and started posting. I've only been here for about 3 months, so compared to most members in the forums I'm still sorta a newbie. Sorta.

I love this site. Check it out every day. Kind of a routine.
grand-high-idol
Newb

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hang around here just to post my art--my friend told me about this place, actually. And meh, although I don't get much commentary it beats posting on other places at times. Although I still post my major works at DA...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Celtic_Guardian_Gurl
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here 'cause it's prolly the best fanart site around, in my opinion. It's WAY better than Mediaminer, which is either dead half the time or super-slow, and I don't have a bloody clue who runs it. It's just...better. Well, there's that and I love drawing, as well as having people who actually think what I do is more than scribbling.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to make your life and trip here as difficult and painful as possible

*giggles*

Nah, i'm only kidding, but i can't promise anything either. *coughs*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Powtaz
Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um yah. lol, well, my friend was posting art here way before i joined. i said "kool". he said "join"
i said "why"
he said "because i want comments"

lol.
so i joined, well, i commented, and then like he made me come back, because i appearently livened up forums that i went to, and the one at fanart was borring, a little too borring,...
lol, that crazy place.

and then it turned into this because of fallen lasher and kate.

i like to think ive helped. lol. but ive only been here since the day these forums were made. lol. i was here before YOU. muhaha. i was even here before lasher, gasp. lol. kate and fallen beat me though, they mustve used magic.
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You weren't here that much sooner than i. Beside's, i'm still more special than you Razz
Powtaz
Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, maybe like, 6 months longer, not that much, lol. and yes, yes u are.

wtf?! appearently ive been here longer than kate....?
well, that just makes no sense.
no sense at all.

...well, im confuzzled, lol.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I here? I'm looking around right now. I like to write and like to draw, and my Angelfire account doesn't have enough space for both :lol:

I've hung around on a few small discussion boards elsewhere, one member over there has an account here (and gave a reference to her FAC art) so that's how I learned about here.

[quote]Elfwood makes you take a quiz, wait two weeks for a decision on your art, and will reject you for something as petty as a desk not looking "fantasy" enough or a weapon belonging in the sci-fi section, but the sci-fi section rejects it as belonging where you first submitted.[/quote]

I've known about Elfwood for awhile, never registered there though, I didn't even know about that but I did notice they had like a 50 drawing and 30 story limit, and I felt that was too restrictive.

And so here I am. I haven't "unpacked" my stuff yet, but I do look forward to it.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose lots of reasons.
I've only been to one other fanart site and already I like this one a lot better.

While a great deal of people really get to me on this site (mostly like 12-15 year olds who don't listen and just make a mess of everything) there's still a lot of really good people here (especially the ones that I've come to know a great deal like the other mods)

I like to look at other people's art, like to see them develope their skill and style. it's interesting to see how people's personalities reflect on their pictues and it's also psychologically interesting to see how pre-teens/young teens (the majority of our site) act and form communities.
(this site has convinced me that 14 year olds shouldn't be allowed to vote just yet..)

And as much as it drives me crazy, I think it's good for me to interact with these kinds of people so much. learn more about them and try my GDbest to help them (if anything, help them out of their OVERLY dramatic sense of mind....)

I really like helping run the site too. I feel like I'm really doing something that people appreciate (or don't lol)
But also, while few, there are some really helpful critiques i get on my art/writings n.n

FAC may not be perfect, but it's home.
CheetahSmith
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Fanart Central... I came across it when I was looking for fanart and I took a look around. Nice nice... left abruptly, hoping to see it again.

I first posted artwork on on Mediaminer.org in 2K2. It was good at the time, but then the site's server shut down. I had to go someplace else. Elfwood seemed to be too restrictive, so scratch that. I joined Deviant Art for a while, but it was to disorganized and, again, to restrictive. (What? I have to pay with money I don't have to use this site to it's full potential? BAH! Screw you DA!)

I really wanted to share my artwork with the world, and I had no options at the time. Well, that changed. I found this site on a Google search for fanart, and low and behold after looking around... I joined. ^^

I would have to say that this is the best fanart site. It has all the attributes that a good site should have. It's easy to use, good and fair rules, very organized and efficient, fairly fast in loading the content... Ah, good, great, nice, decent, wonderful, and an assortment of other positive words. ^^

And the galleries themselves give you the option of viewing the text or thumbnails. There are content warnings, and a [i]whole[/i] lot of categories to put artwork in... ^^

So, I have only more thing to say.

Hurrah for Fanart Central! ^^
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CheetahSmith (Cheetah)"] I first posted artwork on on Mediaminer.org in 2K2. It was good at the time, but then the site's server shut down. [/quote]
yup, me too.
And when they brought it back up, the only people left were rich @$$ holes T.T
Squidman
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined this site predominantly because it was the only one that would load quickly on the old relic school computers.

I actually am fairly fond of the FAC review board. They're one of the easier to work with ones on the net.

I've been a member of Elfwood for close to four years, so I was there when they went through a really rough time (people sending death-threats to the people who ran the site and calling them Nazis). That forced them to put up a stricter system to pass pictures. They needed it, but it could be pretty harsh and slow. I haven't posted there for about a year because the last pictures I submitted took more than a month to actually show up on the net. Plus, whether or not your pictures got up could depend on the personal preference and mood of the particular person working the review queue that day. I remembering once I submitted some glamour-shot style picture of a gladiator guy with a sword wearing a speedo because it was funny (I even submitted it to the Sci-fi gallery for references to modern clothing) but it was turned down because they didn't think it was appropriate. At the same time, the gallery a couple down from mine was full of nude women. Also, I was told by the review board there that this was not considered fantasy.

Now, I understand how stressed the board there was. They had lists of thousands upon thousands of pictures to attend to with people complaining about them all the time. They were remarkably civil people for that amount of pressure, however, and common courtesy could carry you far and get a quick response.

However, it really makes me appreciate FAC. Upload your pic, fill out a couple of fields and it's usually up in a couple of hours as long as you classified it right and it's less that 600 pixles wide. That system works.

The only big thing that ever really bothered me about FAC was how unorganized and difficult to find pictures it was. Fortunately, the clean-up crew has done a first-class job of putting everything where it belongs and making this into a really tidy place.

So I like FAC because:
-It looks nice but doesn't take forever to render
-It has an awesome review system
-The mods are good at filtering things, so you don't get pages of broken links and every 10-year-old in the world's tracing of the latest Shonen Jump cover
-Since I'm isolated in the North and don't have much competition in my town of some 950 people, the contests section is a great way to get criticism and push myself harder
-No overly-restrictive gallery limits
-As long as you follow the basic rules, your stuff goes through
-Other stuff that I had thought of, but escapes me now
-It's an overall great site

Feh... sick of typing.... FAC=Good

::[url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user.php?aid=Squidman]FAC[/url]::[url=http://coelasquid.deviantart.com/gallery/]DA[/url]::[url=http://coelasquid.blogspot.com]Blog[/url]::[url=http://pirate-squid.livejournal.com/]LJ[/url]::[/size][/color]
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]The only big thing that ever really bothered me about FAC was how unorganized and difficult to find pictures it was.  Fortunately....[/quote]

I've always wondered what the "Furries" category is for, especially in comparison to Misc/Animals....
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
ragingflea002
Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend saw some of my art and suggested the site, saying that it was awesome(she tends to exaggerate, but she's the best). I looked into it, and overlooking the people who are immature enough to flame others work instead of simply not saying anything, I joined. I haven't endured any harsh criticism, yet. I have made a lot of friends in the forums, but I haven't not made enemies. I'd name them, but I already posted a topic involving one and any others people wish to state(I'm hoping the moderators will notice and look into the problems).
It's a great site, overall. I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: