Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Q: What "Media" should I select?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Q: What "Media" should I select? Reply with quote

[b]What do I specify for the "Media" option on the submissions page?[/b]

Here's a quick guide to the Media option box (as of September 2007) on the submissions page:

[b]Traditional Media[/b] -- Artwork created by hand, with no computer assistance beyond scanning, resizing, exposure adjustment or cropping.

[list][*][b]Drawings[/b] -- Artwork created using pencil, pen, crayon, charcoal, or other dry-blending (and usually transparent) media as described below.

[list][*][i]Charcoal[/i]

[*][i]Colored Pencil / Crayon[/i] -- also including conté crayon.

[*][i]Ink / Markers[/i] -- Inked lineart, shading using color markers, or so on.

[*][i]Graphite / Pencils[/i] -- Sketches and drawings using plain, ordinary, [b]non colored[/b] pencil.

[*][i]Other Drawing[/i] -- Other drawings created through a media type (or combination of media) that is not listed separately. [b]This option is NOT intended for digital art.[/b][/list:u]

[*][b]Paintings[/b] -- Artwork created using brushes and wet media, i.e. paint.

[list][*][i]Airbrush[/i]

[*][i]Acrylics[/i]

[*][i]Oils[/i]

[*][i]Watercolor[/i]

[*][i]Other Painting[/i] -- Other types of paint (or a combination of) which are not described using the above options. [b]This option is NOT intended for digital paintings.[/b][/list:u]

[*][b]Crafts / Physical Art[/b] -- Art pieces created using crafts, such as sculpture.

[list][*][i]Plushies[/i] -- Dollmaking

[*][i]Sculpture[/i] -- Includes carvings

[*][i]Other Crafts[/i] -- Other types of craft items. Textiles, etchings, and so forth.[/list:u][/list:u]

[b]Digital Media (CG)[/b] -- Artwork created primarily through computer programs. This includes pure digital composition as well as traditional artwork with significant computer modification (such as digital inking or coloring of a traditional-media sketch).

[list][*][i]3D Modelling[/i] -- Computer art created as a 3-D shape or wireframe model and rendered from a specific perspective using a 3D program, such as pieces created using 3D Studio Max or Bryce.

[*][i]Oekaki[/i] -- Computer drawings created using oekaki applets such as Shii BBS or Paint BBS, or other programs featuring basic layer and transparency/alphablending functions (but not supporting advanced features like blurring or gradients).

[*][i]Digital Drawing or Painting[/i] -- Computer drawings created using Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint Shop Pro, or the GIMP, programs which feature a full array of tools and features such as blurring, gradients, complex layers and selections, customizable brushes and so on.

[*][i]MS Paint[/i] -- Computer drawings created through the use of MS Paint or other drawing programs lacking layers or transparency/alphablending functions. In other words, these programs offer very few tools beyond pencil, line/curve/shape, bucket fill, rectangular select and copy+paste.

[*][i]Pixel Art[/i] -- Computer drawings that adhere to the practices of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_Art]Pixel Art[/url], meaning that they were created on a pixel-by-pixel basis using only the pencil/line and (occasionally) bucket-fill tools, and usually from high magnification (e.g. 4x~8x). Pixel Art is often (but not necessarily) created using MS Paint, and does NOT utilize any "automatic" functions such as layers, alphablending, blurring or filtering.

[*][i]Other CG[/i] -- Other computer drawing techniques which do not fall into any of the above categories.[/list:u]
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: