Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Prejudice Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fade
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be alot more prejudice going around today (or within the last 100 years or so) than back before the crusades. What do you think of this statement? Are you prejudice in any way, and Why?

My answers to the questions above are as follows: True one might go even further back and say that it started to increase with christianity. No, I don't dislike large groups, minorities, etc. without reason or exception. I see the world in varying ways and reactions and don't discriminate.
theWriter
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongly disagree.

Prejudice has been around since the arrival of man. Man has always had prejudice towards a certain people of race, orientation, etc. It's just that before the Crusades, prejudice was rarely documented. You fail to read about the thousands of people butchered by the Crusaders on their way to Anitoch...among others. Prejudice has ALWAYS been influenced by a religion or powerful leader. Christains, for example, beat the s**t out of any Muslim they could lay eyes on before, during, and after the Crusades. There has always been a rivalry between Islam and Christianity. Always. Not to mention, the Jews have almost always been the scapegoats. They've made the perfect victim since the three majors came around and it seems still not to have changed.

Stratadrake
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe it's prejudice itself, but people are a lot more aware of it these days, and a lot quicker to cry wolf on the subject, knowing that prejudice is such a social "Evil" that a good accusation of it will gather people to your side like flies to a trashcan.

Opinion though. Prejudice seems to be a blanket label for if you dislike someone but can't explain why. On one hand, if somebody seriously creeps you out when you're near to them (and I mean in a very "makes your skin crawl" sort of way), there's nothing prejudicial about that, there's got to be a reason somewhere. Maybe you can't identify what the reason / possible reasons are, but....
bungakawa2000
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongly disagree here too. I'm questionning how you came to the conclusion that prejudice is some sort of modern invention. Just for kicks, go back and read the first books of the Old Testament or any other very old stories. It's choke-full of prejudices, both perpetrated by the "good guys" and the "bad guys". The difference is that today, information gets around a lot more and a lot faster. Prejudice can be recognized as prejudice. It takes but a few minutes, or at most a few hours to confirm or dispell any judgement you hear about a given set of people. It was not so back in the days. Stupid example, but in 10th century, if you lived in what is now France, chances are the only things you knew about Italy, Africa, Great Britain or India were second, or rather 12th hand tales from travellers who put their own heavy slant on their original stories, slants only increased by the successive retelling. And it'd take one a lifetime to check things out for himself, so there was little choice but to accept prejudice as reality without much questionning.
Fade
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I messed with the time period. I mean BEFORE the crusades - heck - Christianity, the prejudice groups were fewer in number and farther in between. I goofed Sad sorry.

I'm saying Ancient Egypt, Greece, and China (which, yes, is a bad example 'cause the whole country is sexist). In both ancient Greece and China Homosexuality was highly common, particulary among men. In Egypt and Arabia there was a mingling of several races. Under Turkish rule the Muslim's and Jewish populations of the Arabian and Turkish pennisulas actually got along. It wasn't until WWI that those fractions started warring. Really the world wasn't nearl this bad until Christianity turned into a popular religion - amusing that's actually when Jewish people really became the scapegoats. And now I'm babbling.

And sorry again for not being clearer with the time periods.
bungakawa2000
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prejudices were different back then, no argument about that. However, you haven't demonstrated they were fewer.

In ancient Greece, women and strangers were second class citizens. They certainly had their fair share of ethnic/cultural tensions with their neighbors, like any society has. It was a bad idea to be openly agnostic.

It is a fallacy to say that because a prejudice found in our current society didn't exist at some point in the past, that therefore there were less prejudices in the past. You have to take into account those that existed in the past but have disappeared (or at least have a much smaller effect) in our current society too. Also, you have to look at the degree of such prejudices. Stupid example: it can be argued that women are still at a relative disadvantage in some aspects of life in western civilizations. You cannot possibly put this on the same level as places and eras were the murder of a woman is shrugged off with "it was just a woman".

Really now, demonstrate that:
1) prejudices were fewer in past civilizations. Not just different, but fewer, and:
2) that the increase in prejudices (assuming you successfully prove point #1) is intimately linked to the rise of Christianity through Europe.

Then you will have proven your point.
Fade
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. To tell you the truth I just wanted to see what people's oppinions on the subject are. Thank you for pointing out the holes in my arguement, and providing interesting facts for me.

P.S. About women, the discrimination against them occured in nearly every part of the world at one point or another, so that, in my view, is an interesting thing to bring up. Especially because my goal in starting this topic (besides learn stuff) was to compare how certain groups were treat worse as time went on. I totally forgot that some were treated better. Good job making me think. Go you! Very Happy
Astri
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for treated worse, I'm going for homosexuals ~.^ Granted, the status kind of fluctuates, but you can't say that from being as common as a quick sneeze to being a secret never to be admitted on pain of death is anything but downhill. Now it seems to be going uphill again though, which definitely a good thing.

I kind of wonder why the status was harpooned so drastically. What motivated people to change their opinions so horribly downwards? And no, Christianity is not an answer. I am the last person to defend Christians (well, perhaps not the last... [looks around expecting to see virulent anti-Christians]) but the religion itself is not the reason for the drop. Something inspired Christianity to lampoon homosexuality, and I wonder what it was...?
Disgaea's Overlords Dance in Worlds Beyond Infinity while Mifuyus Magical Multiplying Mole reads the epic Chronicles of Yord, and you learn that your Craving for Finding a Heart of Snow is Taboo in VG unless you dare undertake The Combine of Sin...
Fade
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point I'm curious myself. Though I get the impression that even the founders [of christianity] don't know. Though that would be a good thing to research...
Bleak_Lead
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a strange arguement.... Prejudice is nothing compared to the middle-ages or before that. Slavery is probably the greatest form of prejudice and that's all but destroyed in civil society. America and Canada have come to the point where ranting on a street corner can be seen as a hate crime. If u hate gays u have the right to say you hate gays. If ur a racist that's perfectly fine and u should be able to speak ur mind about it. I think we've progressed too far in this regard. back then u insulted someone above u on the food chain and ur head would roll, today wealth and power are seen as evil in and of themselves and the poor and rich are always seen as equals to the point that any who would say otherwise would not be taken seriously.
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what foodchain? There is no food chain, darwinism or any kind of theories where it suggests some species are more adapted than others were never meant to be applied to humans.

What the fuck, "we progressed to far in that regard"? So you are saying people finally respecting people of other races and government ensuring all races get equal opportunity in the workforce is a damage to the society? and that the rich and the poor has so much of a genetic and biological difference, one must be dealt differently in judicial and societal level? Guess what, I'm a sitehelper, you're not. You're lower, I'm free to insult you, right?

Come back when you can actually come up with a good argument, ones that involve historical evidences (that doesn't just invovle shouting out "slavery!" but why that is a form of a prejudice) and perhaps a little bit of a common sense.
Bleak_Lead
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

food chain as in levels of hiarchy in a monacharial society, u know with surfs, knights, dukes, princes, kings, emporeors... that sort of thing. Im saying that part of having no predujice is not whining about everything using the excuse of race as why society is bringing u down. Im way too lazy to explain every detail but one example would be a immagrint from ANY country complaining that he can't get a job because of his race when it reality its simply because he can't even speak the launguage... obviously this mainly refers to Mexicans, who are some of the coolest people on the planet. That's why the Mexicans that actually take the time to learn the launguage hate it when their own ethnic group whine about this stuff, I live not too far from Mexico so my friends have actually told me this before.
Fayore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: lolololololololololololololol Reply with quote

The thing is, we don't. You just have some sort of construct in your mind that immigrants complain about not being able to get a job just because they can't speak English? Let me assure you, that is not the case, especially in larger cities, and hearing anyone whine about how they can't get a job because of modern society is rather hilarious, simply because it probably doesn't happen that often.

You realize that you're expressing prejudice yourself in clearcutting the subject so it only refers to immigrants is an example of yourself showing prejudice, you know. Whatever happened to caucasians trying to get a job but weren't bilingual, and just blamed it on the employer being of a different race? It's the same for all people, not just immigrants.

PS. I dunno about America, but Canada is, y'know, known for its multiculturalism? I have never heard of a case where an ethnic group as a whole could be taken as still using the discrimination card when it comes to not getting a job. So please don't loop Canadians into this cultural cesspool thing you have going on (lol, prejudice). :\ I'm pretty sure you don't learn about Canadian history and culture in your Social Studies/Humanities/etc. class. :V

Quote:
If u hate gays u have the right to say you hate gays. If ur a racist that's perfectly fine and u should be able to speak ur mind about it.

Not true. 8D You get in serious trouble + status of social outcast and worthy of derision if you try to pull that here.

PPS. What you're using as an example isn't prejudice, it's discrimination. Both are two very distinct terms. (And that means your argument technically doesn't mean anything in this thread!)

...And now that I think about it, your post makes very little sense. Can't even figure out what your stance is, much less connect it to the real topic. Whining about how "society brings you down" isn't prejudice; it's not even discrimination. It's just whining about how "society brings you down." :l
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitzy
Super Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of people don't seem to grasp the difference between discrimination and prejudice, as Fayore stated.
Prejudice comes from a term meaning to 'pre-judge' somebody. Things such as "all Asians are really smart and know martial arts', 'all Americans are fat and patriotic', or 'all Canadians say 'eh' and play hockey'.

So this is hardly even about what races are 'looked down on'. It's more or less, when you judge a person by their race. Or if you're assuming that a certain person of a different race or country is exactly like everyone else from that country/race.

It can even be as simple as assuming that someone who is black is from Africa, when they could have easily been from anywhere else (this is why I don't call anyone black 'African-American').
Though typically prejudice deals with unjust judging of others, it can even be explained as assuming that all children are spoiled brats (though that leans more towards discrimination).

So before you make a post, make sure you know what the topic is about, alright?
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod edit: NO, BAD DOG!

"Your toast is burnt and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff!" ~ Caboose, Red vs. Blue
gamefox120
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I tell you what. Im sick of All this Fussing people Must under stand that all Races have been looked down and enslaved I mean I am White And according to my scotish
roots The scots have been enslaved by the British countless times But you dont see me
Raising Hell about it. People should just suck it up and Know that all races have their short comings and High pionts. So every body Chill its the 21st Century!
Kamakazi
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.

Ok guys, this has been directly cut and pasted off dictionary.com. Being Prejudiced is not bad, being bigitted or racist is. And everybody is prejudiced about something. It doesn't have to be people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: