Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sega Dreamcast
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarVoyager
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Sega Dreamcast Reply with quote

Why in the world did they discontinue this great system? Personally, i would kept it going... What are your views?
Uchiki
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I used to love that system!! Shenmue and Soul Calibur were me ultimate faves on Dreamcast. Methinks that Sega should step into the console scene once again. Maybe they're planning to in secret?
Alpha_zero
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't they get bought over by Nintendo after the Dreamcast's sales plummetted and the N64 literally won the console wars...? Now they're just another part of Nintendo. Atleast, that's how I've udnerstood things,
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Didn't they get bought over by Nintendo after the Dreamcast's sales plummetted and the N64 literally won the console wars...? Now they're ju
st another part of Nintendo. Atleast, that's how I've udnerstood things,[/quote]
Nope. Sega remains a third-party and it's own company. While they primarily make games for Nintendo's consoles, they also make games for Sony and Microsoft.

Also, N64 never was against Dreamcast in the console wars. Dreamcast is considered the start of the generation after that along with PS2 XBox and Gamecube. And N64 never won a console war. Both it and the Sega Saturn got owned by the Playstation.

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Alpha_zero
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Little bit wrong there, huh?
Kes
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked all the consoles except for the Xbox.
N64 might not have won any console war's but it still was a good system, same with Dreamcast. But even the most greatest systems will stop being made, because there will always be a bigger and newer system that takes over from the old.
HerculesRockefeller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamcast got discontinued to the horribly low Japanese sales for the syste, drove Sega bankrupt.
KeheiZero
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs to be said South Park style.

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeega Dreamcast.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]N64 might not have won any console war's but it still was a good system, same with Dreamcast.[/quote]
Agreed. N64, in my opinion, was a big win for Nintendo. It got 4 of what are considered the best titles in history. Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time, 007...not to mention really fun titles like DK64 and Banjo Kazooie. It basically defined 3D platformers.

Also, I loved Dreamcast aswell. Sonic's first debut into 3D was a success, IMO, too bad he couldn't follow up for the second...And that VMU idea was genius.

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Uchiki
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kes"]I liked all the consoles except for the Xbox.
N64 might not have won any console war's but it still was a good system, same with Dreamcast. But even the most greatest systems will stop being made, because there will always be a bigger and newer system that takes over from the old.[/quote]

I loved the XBox! Knights of the Old Republic and the Dead or Alive games kicked some a** on that console. Star Wars Battlefront 2 was too addictive, also.
LunaticCrow
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamcast was a winning console. Jet Grind Radio, Samba de Amigo, Sonic the Hedgehog- Winning titles too. :B Alot of smaller companies in japan make 2d shooters for it still.

I'd like to confirm something, though- I've heard a few theories on why it crashed so bad, and the most believable in my opinion was that it was released at the wrong time, when people were transitioning into the newer consoles?

t/f?

Oh yeah, I used to take my Chao with me on my VMU. <3
zakuman
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sega bought by Nintendo!!!? What the hell? On what planet did anybody hear that?
No the reason the Dreamcast failed was it did come at an awkward time. And Sega's previous endeavors left them in major debt. I would've liked it, had they not pulled the plug so soon. They pulled the plug a month before the PS2's release.

But yeah, as dissappointed as I am with Sega's lack of success, I would be seriously pissed if Nintendo bought them. And no, they don't exactly play favorites.
[quote]While they primarily make games for Nintendo's consoles, they also make games for Sony and Microsoft. [/quote] I actually think Microsoft got the better half of Sega's titles on the last gen of consoles. With the Smilebit titles, Jet Set Radio Future, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. And other sweet titles like Otogi. What sweet titles did nintendo exclusively get? Phantasy Star 3 : Card battle Rolling Eyes Well, nintendo did have the Monkey Ball games exclusively for a bit.

Whatever, reading this thread is killing me.

Yeah, I'm a huge Sega fan. And it'd be nice if they made a new console. But nobody would buy it. Cept a a very small handful (myself included). As it stands, they are finally making profit as a third party developer. So at least they're staying somewhat alive.

And um, yeah what console war did the N64 win? Seriously.... Evil or Very Mad
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]No the reason the Dreamcast failed was it did come at an awkward time. And Sega's previous endeavors left them in major debt.[/quote]
Yeah, theres a lot of things to blame for it's early fall. I think it either should have come earlier so that it could gain more momentum in order to help brace itself for PS2 or later so that it could take the chance to improve it's hardware capabilities to be more on par with Gamecube and XBox.
[quote]But yeah, as dissappointed as I am with Sega's lack of success, I would be seriously pissed if Nintendo bought them.[/quote]
I wouldn't. I think with the release of the Wii, Sega should get on board quickly to catch some of it's success. It would also make Nintendo a huge powerhouse of original titles and seriously shake things up. And, as it stands, hardly any 3rd Party companies can afford NOT to take Nintendo seriously right now.
[quote]I actually think Microsoft got the better half of Sega's titles on the last gen of consoles. With the Smilebit titles, Jet Set Radio Future, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. And other sweet titles like Otogi. What sweet titles did nintendo exclusively get? Phantasy Star 3 : Card battle Well, nintendo did have the Monkey Ball games exclusively for a bit.[/quote]
Microsoft may have gotten the [i]better[/i] titles but Nintendo did get the majority of games they made if you take into consideration all the GBA games and the unnecessary amount of Sonic games they made for the GC. Also, i'll bet you'll see some of those Xbox titles ported over to Wii with new controls and all that, now.

Project_X
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason is because SEGA saw Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube as a huge gold mine for software so they ditched the Dreamcast and joined the first-gen trio....
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible. Probably one of the reasons. There really isn't one main reason for it, as I already said. And unless you talk to Hajime Satomi, you probably will never find out. Confused

Project_X
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. That [i]is[/i] the reason. Found it out...*sigh*
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Source of that information?

Project_X
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G4's "Icons" and good ol' dad
Pretty informal show. You should watch it sometime! ^-^
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch it all the time. Take what you see on G4 witha grain of salt.

Never take anything they say like: OMG! THEY SAID IT! ITS GOTTA BE THE TRUTH!!!!

At the end of the day, they can get away with saying anything about video games they want. Doesn't make it any more or less true.

Project_X
Still very bored

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shakes head* no. Yu Suzuki, founder of SEGA, said it himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: