Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
need some tips on colouring in photoshop CS2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axel4eva
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: need some tips on colouring in photoshop CS2 Reply with quote

heh heh Laughing

i luffles 2 use CG 4 my pics but... i need tips on colouring

Very Happy

so if u have any helpful tips then plz tell me!!! Wink
bishielover75
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post some examples of your coloring so I can offer tips? I need to know what your weak points are before I can point them out.
hellmasker
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I use this step to coloring a human head :

1. Using [b]Hard-Round Brush[/b] with [b]60% Flow[/b] for [b]Midtones[/b]
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/renotenz/1-1.jpg[/img]

2. Using [b]Hard-Round Brush[/b] with [b]45% Flow[/b] for [b]Highlights[/b]
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/renotenz/2-1.jpg[/img]

3. Using [b]Hard-Round Brush[/b] with [b]50% Opacity[/b] and [b]25% Flow[/b] for [b]Shadows[/b]
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/renotenz/3-1.jpg[/img]

4. Using [b]Soft-Round Brush[/b] with [b]40% Opacity and Flow[/b] for [b]Unites those colours[/b]
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/renotenz/4-1.jpg[/img]

5. Adding extra highlights and shadows with the same way
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/renotenz/5.jpg[/img]

6. Blur the lineart using Gaussian blur(It should be in different layer)
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/renotenz/6.jpg[/img]

7. Copy the [b]color layer[/b], move it to the [b]top[/b], and set it to [b]Overlay[/b] mode, and decrease its [b]Opacity[/b]
[img]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/renotenz/7.jpg[/img]

That's all. Hope that can help you. Anyway for further reference, [i]please[/i] look at my picture : [b]Face of Kadaj[/b]. I use the same way to color it.
I'll appreciate your comment.
bishielover75
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god, that's boring. Firstly, you just used boring, basic skintones, which gives that the same look as a 7th grader that just learned how to use their colored pencils. Where are the extra colors? Skin has more colors in it than just tan, peach, and brown. And... Why the fuck do you want to make the lineart fuzzy? It looks like shit. If you're trying to go for the line-less look, then just do that. Don't use lineart. Because fuzzing out the lines like that hurts mein eyes.

OP, don't listen to this person.

.. Oh, wait, I see why you're fuzzing the lineart. It's to hide those shitty areas where the fill tool didn't fill. lol. lrn2color.
luckycloverluck
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishielover75, no need to rip their head off; yes, you may think it (the colouring) is a bit boring, but you could've worded it in a nicer way. Wink However, this thread is for helping others, and I will not try and push the subject.

Anyways, I had the 30-day trial version of Photoshop 5.0, and I really liked it (though I prefer Paint.NET and Artweaver, so to speak, and I can't afford Photoshop. However, there are a few tips I can give, but I could help a bit more if you posted some work like Bishielover72 said:

-[b]Use your brushes creatively[/b]. For example, back in my earlier days as an artist, I used the Dune Grass brush for fur textures.

-[b]Tutorials are your friend[/b]. Seriously, sometimes surfing the Internet for a good tutorial can make the difference between a bad piece and a good piece of artwork.

-[b]Study other people's pieces[/b]. Surf FAC and see how others might apply colour, texture, etc., then experiment in Photoshop. You also might want to go to museums and take a look at old paintings (or use the Internet to do so), and study that as well or instead.

Hope I was of some use! Very Happy

If you feel that the fandom is worthless, then fighting the urge to pass judgement on a picture based on that fandom is a rather good idea.

That is, of course, unless you want the fangirls/fanboys coming after you with foaming mouths.
+++++++++++++++++++
"Thy pen is mightier then thy sword."
"But Miss Lefae!"
"THOU SHALT NOT FORGETETH THAT, PUNKETH!!"
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously LOL'ed at that "tutorial" above. Rolling Eyes

I whole heartily agree with Bishielover75 on the lineart. [b]Blurring it only makes it worse.[/b] It looks not in-focus. Now it feels like I am looking at the drawing with my glasses off! [b]Don't blur lineart unless you really need it to be blurred (i.e.: showing motion)[/b]. That's a big no-no.

The lineart is really . . . . unprofessional-looking, to put it thoroughly, in that "tutorial". I suggest that you clean up any messy lineart like that in Photoshop with the white pen tool or the eraser. Also, unless you are really going for that "sketchy" look in your art, [b]I highy suggest that you ink in the lineart with pens (i.e.: microns, pigment liners, artist pens, etc.).[/b] It looks very very grainy and unattractive.

Any "spots" or eraser grains or other tiny fragments you find in the drawing, use the white pen tool to go over them and erase them.
hellmasker
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstable, I didn't post any tutorial. Note that. That's just a sharing of mine. That picture isn't meant to be a 2D CG, actually. It's just a blueprint for my 3D learning in pencil.

Bishielover75, you are right if I'm not a pro at CG, but at least I can respect people, as this forum moderator said "be respectful to others."

Axel4eva asked for tips, so what I've done there is just giving my own way to colour.

I don't care you think my job is bad or not. Don't care if you even LOL at it, but at least, like Edward_Elric, eventhough he LOL'ed at mine, he give some good suggestion. That's what I can call human, rather than beast.
bishielover75
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hellmasker"]Firstable, I didn't post any tutorial. Note that. That's just a sharing of mine. That picture isn't meant to be a 2D CG, actually. It's just a blueprint for my 3D learning in pencil.

Bishielover75, you are right if I'm not a pro at CG, but at least I can respect people, as this forum moderator said "be respectful to others."

Axel4eva asked for tips, so what I've done there is just giving my own way to colour.

I don't care you think my job is bad or not. Don't care if you even LOL at it, but at least, like Edward_Elric, eventhough he LOL'ed at mine, he give some good suggestion. That's what I can call human, rather than beast.[/quote]

That's nice.

I'd offer help but I don't want to waste my time if I don't know what they actually want. I'm not sure if they're asking for coloring techniques, technical photoshop crap, color theory, or what. "Coloring" is kind of a vague thing to ask for help with.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hellmasker"]I don't care you think my job is bad or not. Don't care if you even LOL at it, but at least, like Edward_Elric, eventhough he LOL'ed at mine, he give some good suggestion. That's what I can call human, rather than beast.[/quote]

Sorry I LOL'ed but it wasn't in a bad way. Your tutorial wasn't that professional, but hopefully you will improve. Practice makes perfect, remember that.
hellmasker
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I understand about your LOL. I even didn't think you're about to blame me.

Peace forever!
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that I was able to help you. :]
London

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you're doing this weird overlay business or why you have all these grey spots in your line art. Why don't you just leave your sketch as the bottom layer and put your colors over it with blending mode set on multiply? It would at least make those grey flecks less visible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: