Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Object showing through transparent jewel...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kittyshootingstar
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Object showing through transparent jewel... Reply with quote

Okay, so it's taken a lot of pride-swallowing to ask for help on this, but I'm absolutely clueless on this one. I'm doing a picture where part of a character's body is going to show through a large jewel, and I don't just want to make it plain old transparent, I want realism. I need help with how the light will diffuse through the stone and show on each of the cut edges.

If it helps any, I'm trying for a simplified brilliant cut (Think general diamond, or for Sonic buffs, Chaos Emerald [which, incidentally, is what I'm doing.]). The character will be hanging onto the flat top of the gem, and the chibified body will hang behind it, with some empty space between the feet and ground.

I can post a picture of my sketch, too, if needed.

Thank you in advance for any help that can be given!
falkonns_flight
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you would do any pride-swallowing, lol. As an artist you're going to need to take criticism well in the future. Anywho...
Seems to me you need to find out where the general light source is going to be from first of all. Best suggestion I can offer is go buy a prism or a cheap crystal that looks like what you have (u can buy a cheap one for like 5 bucks) because each facet will show a different reflection, and a different field of depth, as well as different color saturation. And a post of the sketch would be nice for reference
As for the cut, you may take a look at general jewelry sales sites. Like the ones that let you create your own wedding ring, etc. It may help as well.

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again...as well it should be. If you're not sure it's dead, put a bunch more holes in it, should fix the problem...
falkonns_flight
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps double post lawl

Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again...as well it should be. If you're not sure it's dead, put a bunch more holes in it, should fix the problem...

Last edited by falkonns_flight on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: