Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Orphan Works bills: Don't let Congress steal your copyrights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RurouniKJS
Newb

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Orphan Works bills: Don't let Congress steal your copyrights Reply with quote

I didn't see anything in the politics forum related to this, but it really ought to be stickied on the main homepage or something.

There are two bills in Congress, one in the House ("H.R.5889 The Orphan Works Act of 2008") and one in the Senate (S.2913 "The Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act of 2008"), known informally as the Orphaned Works Bills. An "orphaned work" is a piece of intellectual property that is not being actively used even though it may be under copyright. The stated purpose of this legislation is to make it easier for scholars to "fair use" work for papers and research. But the real ramifications of this potential law would pretty much destroy artists' livelihood.

The short version is that if these bills pass, anyone could legally browse Fanart Central and use your artwork or make a derivative version of it without paying you for it. In fact, if someone got ahold of your PERSONAL SKETCHBOOK they could use THAT art as though they owned it.

For the long version — and to TAKE ACTION — go here:

http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/home/

If you're of voting age in the United States, LET YOUR CONGRESSPEOPLE KNOW that you OPPOSE this legislation. And then be prepared to fight future versions of this legislation, because there are powerful forces lobbying to get it passed.
London

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

http://realitysquared.deviantart.com/journal/18227968/
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opposing bills I don't understand turns me on too.
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shut up
bishielover75
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: