Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Need help drawing the inside of a volcano, basically.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moon_Bind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Need help drawing the inside of a volcano, basically. Reply with quote

Alright, so I've been told I needed to practice my perspective, since I seemed to draw a lot of things from profile. Taking the advice, I decided to practice and chose a subject: Cizon, my adopted lava drake.

The idea was right there on my mind: him swimming peacefully in lava, but seeming to stop and be interrupted by something. The following is what I've got so far:

[img]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/Draconi666/Cizon.jpg[/img]

Now, I wanted to draw him on a lava pool, on the inside of a volcano. The problem is, I don't exactly know how to do that. I know that the lava itself is more about the colouring, but I have no idea of how it would possibly act with the drake's body going in and out of it. lava is not like water, it's much more...solid, I guess.
And then there's the rocks, which are supposed to be the back of the drawing, coming over to the front along that corner I left free, as if the viewer is peaking at the drake.

So, any suggestions on how I should go about this? I have no idea on how to draw the rocks or the lava.

If you spot anything on the dragon I can change, feel free to point it out too. Rolling Eyes
luckycloverluck
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is google pictures of lava flows and see how lava behaves when countered with obstacles. That way, you can get a good picture of what would happen if your great serpent flowed through it. Smile

If you feel that the fandom is worthless, then fighting the urge to pass judgement on a picture based on that fandom is a rather good idea.

That is, of course, unless you want the fangirls/fanboys coming after you with foaming mouths.
+++++++++++++++++++
"Thy pen is mightier then thy sword."
"But Miss Lefae!"
"THOU SHALT NOT FORGETETH THAT, PUNKETH!!"
Moon_Bind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I've tried that already, but, unfortunately for me, lava doesn't have many obstacles in it's way Wink
It's very hard to find pictures in which it does have an obstacle, and it's nearly always a straight wall, or it's flowing down something, not exactly good references.
luckycloverluck
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

Well then, since lava is a sticky substance, I'm assuming that it would be "stretched" into a sort of cone shape from the base of where the parts were sticking out. I'm also assuming that the lava would act like a mix between corn syrup and glue when it interacted with something, and of course, would "drip" like such.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling here... Embarassed

If you feel that the fandom is worthless, then fighting the urge to pass judgement on a picture based on that fandom is a rather good idea.

That is, of course, unless you want the fangirls/fanboys coming after you with foaming mouths.
+++++++++++++++++++
"But Miss Lefae!"
Moon_Bind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, not all lava is sticky, it highly depends on how acid it is...I suppose I could just double this acid lava, and then it would act pretty much like water, which would make it so much easier to do...

But then, there's still the rocks problem XD
luckycloverluck
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make them float away from where his body protrudes from the lava, I guess. XD Kind of like ripples in water, no?

+++++++++++++++++++
"But Miss Lefae!"
thedudedisturbed
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would be pretty "acidic" there(never heard that word used with lava, I thought the consistency would be dependent on temperature)
in the top of the volcano. it would be just a little clingy, and just kind of be sliding off of him I think, given what little I know of lava.

and then you would have the rim of the volcano rising like a wall behind him,going off the sides of the page. I would draw like, solid rock with deep furrows in it. dark shading at the top or mid way up the rim depending on time of day.

I recommend cities for perspective practice.

hope this was helpful
You probably recognize a pattern beginning to take shape. Not of the Fibonacci variety either, where said repetitions are woven into the very fabric of nature in some kind of cosmic mathematical coincidence that makes you wonder if there really is a design to everything after all, but more of Grandmother's quilt variety, where said repetition makes you wonder where in the world people can purchase such hideous floral pastel patterns and why they think you'll want to display them in your living room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: