Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
new type of image search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unfocused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: new type of image search Reply with quote

A new search engine that will search for images not with keywords, but with pixel information. This means you can upload a photo of the Mona Lisa and the search results will be pages of websites that have an image of the Mona Lisa, not just that same image, but altered versions of it as well.

I found this article and thought that it may help with finding stolen art and references and such. Of course, it is meant for other reasons but I think this will help in the online art world, a lot.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/219744/visual-search-engine-is-photographers-best-friend.html

[quote]
[b]Visual search engine is photographer's best friend[/b]
12:15PM, Monday 18th August 2008

A new visual search engine could help photographers keep track of their photographs whenever, and wherever, they appear on the internet.

The TinEye search engine, developed by Canadian company Idee, allows users to search by uploading a picture rather than typing in a keyword. It then conducts a pixel by pixel search across the internet, flagging up all instances of that image even if it's been cropped, merged or digitally altered in some way.

"TinEye does for images what Google does for text," says Leila Boujnane, the CEO of TinEye. "We are not limited by words, Google can only find an image if a particular search word is in proximity to it. We have the ability on a large scale to tell somebody where one of their images has appeared and how it's being used."

And the technology is not dependent on the quality of the input image, according to Boujnane: "Anything you would consider a preview image or low resolution image would work. I can take a photograph of a picture in the Louvre with my mobile and upload it to TinEye and it would dump me on the page of that Wikipedia page related to that painting."

Unsurprisingly, Boujnane believes TinEye could provide an entirely new way for image companies and amateur photographers to track how and where their images are being used, without the need for digital watermarks. To that end the company is launching an alerts service, which will immediately notify a user when

However, Boujnane is keen to point out that the use of the technology is not limited to copyright enforcement.

"It's being used by researchers who need to find where an image came from to provide attribution, even people who are trying to find out who people are in old photos," she says. "We had somebody who had a photograph of a soldier who'd arrived on the beach at Normandy and they couldn't find their name. They did a whole bunch of searches on TinEye and found a tiny little photo on an American website that listed everybody who'd gone to Normandy with a photograph. That's exactly when TinEye is useful, when you have an image but no words."

TinEye is currently in beta, with a focus on expanding an image index which currently stands at "several hundred million", a number growing by a "few hundred million per month."

The company claims the search engine could come out of beta as early as next month, but in the meantime you can [url=http://tineye.com/login?redirect=/faq]find out more about TinEye here.[/url]
[/quote]
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really interesting.
It says pixel by pixel, but how exactly would you even begin to program something as complex as that?
This kind of system is said to even find altered pictures. That's not totaly un-manageable, but would be very complex and time consuming to program.

No one, in their right mind, would built anything like this without some hefty pay, so the company must think it'll make a killing...

Very interesting indeed.
I'm sure it would no doubt help with the art submissions checking, nice find.
setzaroth
Cold Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats pretty crazy
setzaroth
Cold Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats pretty crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: