Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dejavu, do I smell the 1900's?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theWriter
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Dejavu, do I smell the 1900's? Reply with quote

The political system today, much like it was in the early 1900's, is a system that flirts with the money-makers and shits on the voters once reelected. Senators, representatives, the occasional governor exist here and only here for the money that will line their pockets.

I agree with this statement. I'm not totally behind it, but not totally against it.

This has been the flaw with democracy in a country where the only way to become any type of political official is to have money. Our representative democracy bases itself on the idea that the officials we elect will do their job, but at the same time we've created a system where the only time we're paid attention to is when the polls are tromping in and an election year is around the corner.

How do you fix a system like this? In a world where technology is off the charts, and we have the ability to watch politicians doing the work (or not doing anything at all), the majority of them kiss ass and dawdle all the time because they know they're being watched by us...the voters. And while this is a good thing, because naughty Mr. Senator can't stick his thumb up his ass and dork around without voters yelling down his throat, it has also made a system so media-conscious that it won't make the tough decisions because it's afraid it'll "piss a few people off".

So how do you fix this? And should you?

Respond appropriately, and think hard. This is one of those JEDI questions.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

democracy also uses the failed assumption that people are smart enough to know what is best for them.....and what they want for that matter. And care enough to vote.

Also assumes there are 2 or more different options, not 2 parties that are more or less the same.
theWriter
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what system is better? Democracies like those in France with 80 bizzilion parties? Can you FIX the cement two-party system?

I am curious, Denis. What do you think?
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 2 party system is pretty badly flawed.

I don't know France politics well enough to comment on it specifically, but Canada (and I think much of Europe) have a hand full of parties which works better than 2.

The best political system would be a super smart non-corrupt liberal minded dictator. Not that it would actually happen.....Could maybe work if the dictator was so rich and powerful that any bribes/favors/contributions he could be offered would be too trivial to care about.

Overall tho, due to human nature, pretty much any polital system is fucked
UltimaMewtwo
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am smelling some of the 1920s economically. The stock market has hit record lows, the housing market is mostly dead (my mom's a Realtor to boot), and when the housing market is thrown off, something else has to follow like the taxes. Hopefully, we won't get a second Great Depression.

Now as far as political parties go, in today's sect, you can't have your cake and eat it too. There are constantly opposing values among yourself, and the candidate. Media also gives the same candidate power. Who are the ones winning primaries? The ones with the most media, McCain, Clinton, Obama, and the occasional Huckabee. Money pays for it. The other candidates had great values by some standards, but where did they go? Out of the race. Not enough moolah.

It would be great if we had a Democratic President and a Republican VP, or vice versa. That way, both sides would be put together, but that won't happen anytime soon. That miracle centrist is nowhere to be found.

Member No. 5,524
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slavetotheWALL
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one; I have been annoyed that you have to be rich to run for an office President Bush has also proven you don't have to be much of a college graduate either. Much of the US government is flawed and needs to be changed; for one the electoral vote is a bad idea I believe that it should be based on everyones vote not the majority of the vote.

If only there were a way to actually figure whether or not the person running for office would do good or not. One thing that doesn't make sense is why we have about 10 people running for office and like 100 running for Mrs. America?

Another thing that annoys me is all of the money that is put into an election... it's stupid.
UltimaMewtwo
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's down to 4 people actually, Clinton, Obama, McCain, and Huckabee.

Member No. 5,524
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
auron6658

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe democracy can be summed up in the following statement: Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all of the others tried so far.
UltimaMewtwo
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, necro!

Member No. 5,524
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: