Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Time travel: If we could, should we.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavetotheWALL
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Time travel: If we could, should we. Reply with quote

This is speaking of moving at the speed of light (Another words can only move forward not back). If we were to travel at a fraction of the speed of light and come back what would happen?

Well we humans are not perfect replicas of our ancestors so we would not be greeted by humans we have seen from the past. We could be greeted by 20ft tall spiders.

What if we wanted to go to another galaxy? Problem when we look into the deep dark sky we see the past not the present so if we were looking at a galaxy 400 billion light years away from where we are standing that galaxy is 400 billion years old (something like that) and who's to say that once we would get there the galaxy is gone. Completely.

On the other hand it could save our lives... giving a select few to repopulate on another planet.

Discuss.
Nyte
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something i learned in physics the other day is that you can move backward in time the only problem is that we're already going forward. so if somehow u could revearse the flow of time then technically u could go back ward
Horgh
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Time travel: If we could, should we. Reply with quote

slavetotheWALL wrote:
This is speaking of moving at the speed of light (Another words can only move forward not back). If we were to travel at a fraction of the speed of light and come back what would happen?

Well we humans are not perfect replicas of our ancestors so we would not be greeted by humans we have seen from the past. We could be greeted by 20ft tall spiders.

What if we wanted to go to another galaxy? Problem when we look into the deep dark sky we see the past not the present so if we were looking at a galaxy 400 billion light years away from where we are standing that galaxy is 400 billion years old (something like that) and who's to say that once we would get there the galaxy is gone. Completely.

On the other hand it could save our lives... giving a select few to repopulate on another planet.

Discuss.

lol w t f, 400 billion years old? The Universe is only 13.7 billion years old.

lrn2physics
Xx_TheForgotten_xX
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Time travel: If we could, should we. Reply with quote

slavetotheWALL wrote:

What if we wanted to go to another galaxy? Problem when we look into the deep dark sky we see the past not the present so if we were looking at a galaxy 400 billion light years away from where we are standing that galaxy is 400 billion years old (something like that)

Light years are actually harder than that to calculate, but if an easy way may be suggested, they are usually in hundred-thousands(100,000) year increments(sp?).

but as the general topic states, time travel.
I personally would not enjoy that idea if it wa possible, say we could travel back in time to oh I don't know, prehistoric times, or ancient Roman times.
Say that e touhed a stick, and said stick broke, what cold this cause in the future?

I may be just thinking too much into this, but every action tht happens while we were there will be reflected in the future when we arrive back.

It wouldn't be a great idea.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time Travel can definitely not be like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. xD
London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The realities are collapsing!
hueyfreeman
Still very bored

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept that time travel would cause the creation of another universe that's history would diverge from the moment the time traveler arrived. This frees us from such dilemmas as the grandfather paradox having each possibility implying its own negation. or cutting out the middle man and killing yourself as a baby, auto-infanticide, that is a cool word. This idea appeals to me since, ya know the whole quantum physics thing about infinite possibilities (I've probably shared this idea before somewhere). predestination paradox seems more far-fetched and is most likely a bad plot device used in science fiction. hmm, back to the future part 2 made absolutely no sense now that i think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: