Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Only people who don't UNDERSTAND art would say this:
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything with a devout following of rampant millions is bound to draw criticism. Anime just happens to top the list. Criticism of anime is like criticism of Nintendo: a lot of anime is targeted towards the "younger" set (especially whatever actually crosses the western seaboard these days), so everything else gets unfairly tarnished with the "kiddie" brush. People view it as being for little kids, and in so doing associate that anyone who actually likes it must be a "little kid" themselves.

Not all anime is created equal. There are, of course, quality-made anime series which aim more for grown audiences than the kids.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
AmayaHayate
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime is an overall media for all ages. They have as far as hentai and as little as hamtaro. Like Stratadrake said, all the kid's stuff makes it through the American filter. This treats manga/anime like some superficial thing, when actually anime is more intelligent than any child's cartoon. Even children's anime (for 5 year olds) is more intelligent than teen titans or 'sophisticated' marvel cartoons (teen titans is a bad example, sorry). What do you think this says about America? That the country's morally immature and money-hungry? So then it seems anime becomes an immature art form.

Hmm...does that mean I have to severely taint my art in order for it to be pleasing for adult audiences? The content usually spells out whether it's for children or not as does the size of the eyes and the overall 'seriousness' in the characters. I guess if you make it personal, then it defies perception on what is art and what isn't, so therefore it can be as acceptable as fine art. Before I ever transitioned into the anime style, I always looked at other anime-style original art. I liked the tone to it, or something about it really stood out to me. Perhaps original characters don't get hit as badly as the popular ones do in terms of annoyance, but it's the popular ones that really throw any creativity to trash.

I became involved with the style because of the power of expressions and the ability to convey strong, but subtle moods. I know that sounded corny, but it's true. The Japanese knew what they were doing without a doubt, but anyone with another style can do the exact same if they know how to do it effectively. People who mimick the bugs bunny style or close to it are doing the same thing - they're taking the American style and applying it to their art. It can have the same effect as anime in art.

But what I'm finding really funny is I have an an online sales gallery running. The art is posted accordingly to popularity. I'm competing with fine arts, there're virtually no other artworks in anime style there except mine except like 3 in a small section, and I was like a needle in a haystack when I first started - the most popular get front page, the least popular go in the back. Ironically to my first post, there're hundreds of pages possible, and I moved up on first page/first thumbnail position on a lot of my anime stuff so fast that I surpassed those who were there before me in one month - and those unpopular ones are still in the back from when I first signed on. I think it's because anime is as popular as it is annoying depending on originality and media it's done in. I'm not trying to brag, I'm bringing up an observation. I'm starting to think the originality is what makes it artistically valid.

This all happened after I made the first post. Anyone here can post their original anime, and I bet you anything they would make top ranking too either because of the style popularity, or the originality.
flying-poptart
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think whatever expresses yourself in a deep passionate way, that's true art. Anything can be art. Anime happens to be art. People mistake it for just a simplified "thing" that people get too into but you could say that about anything. Anime art varies more than people say it does.

Naoko Tekeuchi, the woman who created Sailor Moon, was an amazing artist.

Heres one of her pictures:
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/updike/90/generations.jpg

http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/updike/90/funky.jpg

Yeah. Anime art can be really detailed and awesome. It's some of my favorite art because you can do whatever you want with it!
London

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some professional manga artists are quite good, and some non-published manga artists are also quite good, but most of the art produced by fans is poorly drawn and lacking both style and originality.
cheese456
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fun drawing anime. I think people shouldn't try and worry about what others think of their art too much because eventually they'll start changing the way they do things completely and make something only because someone told them to. It's hard to put into word what I mean, but if you're not making a piece of art that defines you, than is it really worth doing? Yeah, anyway. I think the person who posted this hasn't replied for a while...so ...
hakutheblindedsoul
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe art is anything that conveys a certain feeling and has effort put into it. From Da Vinci's sketches to my little sisters doodles that she gives me, they're all art. Now, when it comes to taste, that's an entirely different matter. We all have different tastes. I feel that when I draw, I put a little bit of myself in it each time. It's something that I've worked on, and even if the style isn't visually appealing to some people, the effort should be acknowledged. That's what I think. And yes, anime is not technically art, but I did start off drawiing with a Christopher Hart's How to Draw Anime book when I was 11. The pics that are inspired by animes, however, are certainly art.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/shizuru2.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/NatsukiShizuru.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/thMyu.gif[/img]
RammsteinSkollexxx
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: retard Reply with quote

anime is NOT art. in true art, you feel a connection, you think, and it's a true joy to look at. though i agree you are never too old for anime, unless you are a Jap with lots of studies and learnings-ANIME IS NOT ART. And btw STFU "art is just a bunch of oceans" there are so many genres, you just don't look. I don't see any-one selling anime (except Japs, note right now I exclude Japs), do you really think anime is art? Look at some anime, and what do you think? Really, what do you think??? Aside from single words (like kawaii), do you really find a connection? Do you get good memories, think of any-one, or truly think it is a work of art? No you don't. Unless you're a Jap, you are just trying too hard. Mustard.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anime IS art my friend. It is 'the disney of japan' as some put it and for the older anime shows (Inuyasha, Strait Jacket, Blood the last vampire) it is the metapocalypse of japan. Im sorry but anime is here people whom hate anime, either change the channel, dont look at the anime artwork, or sit in a corner and throw a tantrum, its not going away. xP

Reason why I like anime soo much is because it expresses great emotions that you cant get from spongebob or wow wow wubzzy or Ben 10. The style is somewhat easy too, and usually those who start off with anime drawing can be able to step up the talent latter and draw greater things. I couldnt do realism back then if it killed me, but now I can draw Jack sparrow!

If you dont like anime oh well but dont try to prove its not art cause it is:
Japanese animation is what is known as anime. Case closed.
hakutheblindedsoul
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: retard Reply with quote

[quote="RammsteinSkollexxx"]anime is NOT art. in true art, you feel a connection, you think, and it's a true joy to look at. though i agree you are never too old for anime, unless you are a Jap with lots of studies and learnings-ANIME IS NOT ART. And btw STFU "art is just a bunch of oceans" there are so many genres, you just don't look. I don't see any-one selling anime (except Japs, note right now I exclude Japs), do you really think anime is art? Look at some anime, and what do you think? Really, what do you think??? Aside from single words (like kawaii), do you really find a connection? Do you get good memories, think of any-one, or truly think it is a work of art? No you don't. Unless you're a Jap, you are just trying too hard. Mustard.[/quote]

I DARE you to go say that to the artists on DeviantART, idiot. There are artists on there who SELL their anime artwork, and guess what dude? People are buying. And a large number of anime artists are better more accomplished that what any of us could hope for in years. Try pokefreak for example. You just TRY to draw as good as he does.

Anime is a STYLE of art. Just like impressionism, cubism, etc. It is a style, derived from the Japanese. What impression you get from anime inspired art is up to you. If you don't get anything from anime inspired work, guess what? That's your own deal. But I know that, personally, anime art can evoke lots of feelings in me, from joy to anger to sorrow. Art is up to interpretation. Art is art.

Look, it's okay if you don't like anime as art, but there are many out there, who aren't Japanese, that do consider it art, and enjoy it. So, if your goal was to insult a bunch of people, you succeeded. Congrats. Hope you're happy, troll. Rolling Eyes

And I agree with everything that SweetxinsanityxSarah said. It's okay not to like it, but you're gonna have to deal with it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/shizuru2.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/NatsukiShizuru.gif[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Nefika/Mai%20HiME%20Otome/thMyu.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: