Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Need Mechanical Advice (possibly software too)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Need Mechanical Advice (possibly software too) Reply with quote

My cpu's on the fritz, and I'd like to know you guys's opinion before I go and pay some douche to do something I could do.

My cpu's restarting randomly, like if some one was to come in the room and press the button and run away. It happens at all times, in 10 minutes or 5 hours. It's shut off while I was trying to run my anti-virus, and it'll restart when I try and open my iTunes. I try and use Photoshop, and it'll restart. However, after it restarts I can usually get the program up and running, only to have another one restart me. Sometimes I don't even need to try a program, I'll change the song I'm listening to and it'll restart on me. It pisses me off, and I need to know wether this is a virus or something else wrong with my cpu.

This one I'm almost damn sure is a virus, and it's a bitch. I can't acsess my internet. I can get a connection up and running, easy. But When I try to get on the net, it restarts my cpu or it take me to a blank page and it says that I'm not connected or something.

All this wouldn't be much of a problem, except I can't run my anit-virus or download a new one. So, help me please?
London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download an antivirus program on another computer and transfer it to yours?

My computer used to restart on me all the time and it turned out that it was just overheating. Once I ripped it apart to get at the fans (there was a layer of lint like a centimeter thick on each) it worked fine.
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do that, but I don't have very high hopes for it working. On my 'rents cpu right now, I think I could load an anti-virus right onto a disc right?

As for the dust, I've just been too lazy to do it... I guess I'll go do that now.
unfocused

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have malware. Some malware prevents you from opening up programs as well (which is a kind I have actually had). But the kind that restarts your computer has GOT to be the worse. Sounds really frustrating. Do you have another means of internet access? Are you able to run programs sometimes for at least 30 minutes?

If you can, you can download Malwarebyte's Antimalware to get rid of the virus. [url=http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol][u]Here[/u][/url] is the link to it on Download.com, and [url=http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3001-8022_4-10804572&ontId=8022_4&spi=b85a4b0f8adea029549cba9697d36449&lop=txt&tag=idl2&pid=11102549&mfgId=6290020&merId=6290020&pguid=YrrWdwoPjAYAAECxUNcAAAC7&destUrl=http%3a%2f%2fsoftware-files.download.com%2fsd%2fcln1DDBE3YTqcLIHlZE-L7fhF0F7aSKDDbOyk3ELDlT8c2ZKH-EBNaqX7wIDgoh2MPLFt69BWT9Gz1FKL8Xe8-BzJ1L5lSKN%2fsoftware%2f11102549%2f10804572%2f3%2fmbam-setup.exe%3flop%3dlink%26ptype%3d1901%26ontid%3d8022%26siteId%3d4%26edId%3d3%26spi%3db85a4b0f8adea029549cba9697d36449%26pid%3d11102549%26psid%3d10804572][u]here[/u][/url] is a direct download link just in case that doesn't work (I suggest just using this second link now).

You can also run a free online scanner by Kaspersky, to see if it is indeed a virus (if the above method doesn't work). http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/default/pages/default/check.html?n=1255119613303

It's a good scanner but it takes a while to scan. And it won't remove anything for you, so you still have to download a program. If you have a friend with internet access, have them download the Malwarebytes setup file and burn it to a disc for you.

If all else fails, take it to a repair shop or replace it entirely. I finally lost my battle with a virus, so I ended up getting a new computer. I made sure it was better and I now make sure I am protected well. And, most importantly, I make sure to check sites out first before visiting them. Get the Firefox addon WOT, it blocks some sites that are potentially dangerous.
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:It's not dust. That bastard's clean as hell on the inside.

James, I use Malwarebytes. Whenever I scan it lets me get up to 80 or some odd Malware, then it says there's an error and the program shuts down, or the cpu restarts.

I've only my parent's cpu for 'net, nothing else on my own cpu. I can't do anything online from it.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spontaneous reboots like this can be bad ram (or other bad hardware).

Download and burn this ISO image and boot off it. Leave it running overnight or something and see if any tests fail.
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip

If it reboots while you are running off the CD, you know it's a hardware problem.

If it passes the memory test without rebooting (it will show the time it's been running) then it could still be other hardware problem (bad cpu, mobo, or power supply). You can burn another bootable cd that can do a burn in test. Leave it to run overnight or whatever and see what happens with it:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If it doesn't reboot when running off the CDs, then you should probably back up your data and reinstall windows.
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir, you asume I'm so much better at this than I actually am. How do I boot off the cd? What do I do if it is a hardware problem?

And I did put in some new RAM, but that was two months ago and my sis's been on it pretty much every day, she says it never happened to her...
ThomYorke
I dream of mod position

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are being haunted!

Get an exorcist.
xEdwardx
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Blair is inside your computer. Must be one hell of a virus.
unfocused

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To boot off a cd, just put the cd in your cdrom drive, then restart your computer. When restarting, you'll get a message in white letters on a black/blank screen (during the normal bios check) saying something like "press any key to boot from cd." Press any key. Your computer should run the disc.

EDIT: BTW, if you have 80 or so threats, and you can't remove them with Malwarebyte's, then this whole ordeal might end with you getting a new computer, reinstalling Windows, or sending it to a repair shop. That's if Denis' solution doesn't work.
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks unfo, the CD's running right now.

The problem isn't that MB won't remove it, it's that it says something happens to it in the middle of a scan. Dunno what it's technically called, but when it happens windows asks you to send an error report off... dunno if that means anything different or not, maybe I should just redownload MB...
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's crashing. That also potentially points to bad ram, but it could just be your windows broken or a bug in the program.
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says it's about 91% of the way through, and there's an ocean of red at the bottom of the screen. Is there a reason for that?
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDK, take a pic and post it. "Ocean of red" doesn't tell me much...
TheWolfsFang
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cam, can't take a pic. Looks kinda like this

[color=green]Memtest86[/color][color=red]+[/color] [color=green]v4.00 [/color]| Pass 32%####
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
[u]Walltime[/u] [u]Cached[/u] [u]RvsdMem[/u] [u]MemMap[/u] [u]Cache[/u] [u]Ecc[/u] [u]Test[/u] [u]Pass[/u] [u]Errors[/u] [u]Ecc Erorrs[/u]
13:46:83 959m 12k e820 on off Std 0 133 0 ((These numbers corospond to the thing above.))

[u]Tst[/u] [u]Pass[/u] [u]Failing Adress[/u] [u]Good[/u] [u]Bad[/u] [u]Err-bits[/u] [u]Count[/u] [u]Chan[/u]
[color=red]8 0 0010915c38- 265.5MB 6754c533 67548533 00004000 136[/color]
And then there are lines and lines of these red numbers, all the same with variations in the numbers. Does that help at all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: