Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mary Sues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Writing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venette
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Mary Sues Reply with quote

What is the [b]worst[/b] Mary-Sue you've ever read? Did you, or do you, have a Mary-Sue?

What's your opinion on them?

I personally think SOME of them are good, if they don't take it too far. But the ones that go along the lines of:
Name: Angelinda Belinda Jane
Boyfriend(s): Inuyasha, Sesshomaru, Naraku, Kouga, Miroku
Early life: Because her village died in a horrible accident, Angelinda Belinda Jane was left alone. And the radiation caused her to turn into a half demon...

Those get SCARY!!
RisanF
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that not even a Mary Sue is necessarily a bad thing all the time. It all depends on how they're utilized in that individual thing. It's a nebulous thing.

But yeah, there are some real stinkers out there. One Mary Sue fic absolutely cracked me up; it was so bad.
PhoenixWrightFangirl
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's truly bad I will just avoid it and warn others about it. Oftentimes there are self-insert fics where the main character is based off of the author and just happens to date a lot of main characters through various forms. I've seen a couple that are so well written, it reads just like a regular fanfic and unless they told you, or you knew what they looked like you might not even be able to tell it's a self-insert fanfic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bowiegranap
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesley Crusher, a canonical Mary Sue.

Anita Blake series, particularly after the first few books. Another canonical Mary Sue.

The main character of "Ancient Future", yet another canonical Mary Sue. Early 20's, blond, slim-yet-well endowed, has several masters degrees in various fields (astrophysics, biochemistry, architecture, philosophy) , has several black belts in various martial arts, time traveller with lovers in every era, all fighting over her, goes back in time to start several (beneficial) events that make up our world -- women's rights, democracy, martial arts, chivalry, etc, rides a motorbike.
Ashvati
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new here. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that a Mary Sue is when you insert yourself into fanfic or fanart, usually in some shameless way, right?
xx_Toxic_Bubblegum_xx
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst. Mary Sue. Ever.

Ebony Raven Darkness [insert endless name here] Way.

HOLY ZOMBIE JESUS BATMAN.
The only thing that bitch was good for was making me laugh at the lulz until I pee'd a little.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys ever heard of an avatar? It's a pic that people identify with users.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah some of the mary sues are indeed...weird. However I am not a mary sue, I make a DIFFERENT character for one I have my eye on for instance here is a few.

Sarahfina (Created for Riku though is stalked by Hao Asakura...shush xP)

Sephera (VERY OLD character, starts out with Sephiroth however he goes insane and tries to kill her. She then winds up with Vincent Valentine)

Gloom (Created for L aka Lawleight)

Medea (still pending on whom she winds up with)

However I also support crossover couples so I aint a complete mary sue xD

Kid (Chrono Cross) X Edward Elric

Rider (Fate Stay Night) X Kabuto Yakushi

Diva (Blood plus) X Sasuke Uchiha

And since I have time on my hands and my eyes arent killing me from lack of glasses just yet I will give a quick bg story on em xP

Sarahfina Nightroad Fair is the sister of Diva and the descendant of Hector (Castlevania COD) and is a Devil Forgemaster, one of the few left if not the only remaining in the blood line. She is also the daughter of the famous Zack Fair. She holds a power deep inside her of the white dragon and Sephiroth sought this power and in his desire for the destruction of the world, he attempted to kidnap Sarah when she was a child. Zack managed to get Sarah to safety, sending her to her godfather Abel Nightroad whom she lived with ever since. Many years later Sephiroth raids the roman cathedral after learning Sarah's location, Abel sends her off to a distant world in where she meets the infamous Riku.

Sarah is a multi crossover character and she can fit into any rp I do so yeah she's kinda a vetran character. She has long black hair reaching past her waist. A nice curvy build for her age, and ebony blue eyes. She wears mostly dark clothes and form fitting ones and has a knack for wearing happy bunny merchandise. She has an upbeat attitude and a friendly personality. She can seem shy at first but give her time.

Sephera is pretty much a lab created assassin whom works for the infamous Los Illuminados (RE4). On one of her missions she crosses swords with Sephiroth and nearly bests him which makes him none too happy but yet he gains respect for her. Eventually Shinra and Los Illuminados begin working side by side helping one another out and that's when Sephiroth meets Sephera once more. Over time they develop a good friendship and before long they have a son together (Xaliirekur) However once Sephiroth learns of his origins he goes insane as we all know. Sephera tries to put a stop to Sephiroth's madness but is badly wounded in the process, she goes into a deep sleep for many years inorder to heal. Eventually Vincent Valentine finds her and tells her all what happened and she tells her tale to him on how she knows the one winged angel. They gain a good friendship and Sephera teaches Vincent to loosen up abit more and to smile.

Sephera at first glance looks like a twin sister of Sephiroth, due to her long billowing silver hair and aqua-marine eyes, she has a fair build for her age and is very tall too. She wears mostly black tight clothes for when on missions but lose or comfy outfits for everyway wear. She is kind and usually acts silly, but get her angry and it will be the last thing you do. She has a strong sense of justice and will protect anyone, weather it be a stranger or a friend.
HaleyAyumi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no one mention this, but...

Etsuko Ajibana is a mary-sue. She's some YuGiOh OC who falls in love with Atemu, has his kids, (yes, even in the PAST) and hates Anzu for insert reason here. Not to mention she has DMG's spirit in the past. One, Mana has DMG's spirit, not Etsl*tko. It makes no sense.

Really, I facepalm at YGO Mary-sues. They're so bad, they make Ebony Raven aka Enoby look epic.
#1 MagoichixGracia FAN!
[img]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg257/orochi91/GraciaMagoichi.png[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sarah used to be a yugioh character but she as you can tell has come very far from that. Only thing that links her to yugioh is the tattoo on her stomach considering she holds a white dragon (Not blue eyes) withen her soul. xP

Really; snatching up DMG? D; not cool yo!
HaleyAyumi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really; snatching up DMG? D; not cool yo![/quote]

Agreed.

Another mary-sue is Blair (another YuGiOh) mary sue. Really, she gets pregnant by Yami No Maliku (aka Yami marik), then falls in love with Kaiba, and...I don't know what words to describe her. Really, if I had a psychopath boyfriend in REAL life, I'd get help.
#1 MagoichixGracia FAN!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm did she get [i]raped[/i] by Yami Marik or was it willing? Cause yeah psychopaths seem to love raping in fanfics (Trust me I turned Hao Asakura into the king of all rapists xD -shot!-)

Also she probly went after kaiba for da moneh. I mean hell the guy makes Oprah look like a begger! Wink
HaleyAyumi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SweetxinsanityxSarah"]Hmm did she get [i]raped[/i] by Yami Marik or was it willing? Cause yeah psychopaths seem to love raping in fanfics (Trust me I turned Hao Asakura into the king of all rapists xD -shot!-)

Also she probly went after kaiba for da moneh. I mean hell the guy makes Oprah look like a begger! Wink[/quote]

Actually, I'm NOT so sure. Maybe Yami marik got her pregnant because he tried to be like Broly, but failed epicalleh.

Another Mary-Sue is Kairi (NO, NOT FROM KINGDOM HEARTS) she's a YGO sue, who, I swear to god, looks like the love child of Anzu mazaki and Gracia from Samurai Warriors. Not to mention her creator gets all emo because people say she looks like Kairi form KH. Well, no sh*t. And she's in love with Maliku/Malika, I think, but I can't remember.

And they were 5 YGO OCs who had their own group called B*KeWT.

Blair
Kat
Etsuko
Wu (not Dynasty Warriors)
Tiffany
...I swear to god, when I first heard of the name, I was lol'ing so hard.
#1 MagoichixGracia FAN!
HaleyAyumi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to double post, but there was a fanfic I remember reading in the Mortal Kombat section with some sue named Yumi Avery Uzumaki or something like that. Really, an Uzumaki in MY Mortal Kombat? Not to mention the fanfic was awful. Really, self-insert is stupid as sh*t ala Sonsaku Hakufu from Ikki Tousen (aka Sh*tty HOEsen), falls into the mortal kombat games, falls in love with Sub-Zero, Sub-Zero defeats Scorpion, author copy-pastes the lyrics to My immortal from Evanescence (I know I spelled it wrong) Sub-Zero makes out with the fourteen year old, and...that's it.

Really, it only got ONE flame. A shame, really.
#1 MagoichixGracia FAN!
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least it aint as messed up as someone pairing Mandy up with Grim from what I've seen on the net ._.
White_Dragon
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of the main characters in a story are mary-sues, then I am turned off by them. :C I don't mind them if they're just side-characters or played for laughs, but mary sues are, well... cliché. And I certainly don't want to read about a predictable cliché character.
Kamri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellla!
Off Twilight, I hate those books and movies.
HopelessLover
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol mary sues = half the rp characters used on this site.

unoriginal = the other half

Though imust say the absolute lulsiest was aquaeevees.

his character: 'powers up and levels the city'

Like....come on. If your gonna sue it, do it right, Like my Solar :3 Hes virtually immortal can raise the dead and can nearly kill himself to pull off something similar to aquasue powering up, only theres proper sacrafice ie he's completely powerless for a few days afterwards. I'd go into further detail but im sure a few of you will see more soon enough ;3 And yes hes a completely different character then another one with a similar name.

also looks like noone mentioned this but LOL MY IMMORTAL

Last edited by HopelessLover on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
HopelessLover
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SweetxinsanityxSarah"]Well at least it aint as messed up as someone pairing Mandy up with Grim from what I've seen on the net ._.[/quote] Rule 34
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar, the term of mary-sue in this thread is NOT a powerhouse godmodding power player. It is what the others said; a character like Ashley from Resident Evil four, or the worst one soo far; Isabella swan. (They should have cast the chick that played in the latest Transformers movie and Jennifer's body; then at least she would look like she could win a guy unlike the fugly chick they cast for Swan.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Writing Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: