Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Living with stress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Life Assistance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuinAndDonnelly
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Living with stress Reply with quote

Hey all,
Stress and pressure are sort-of problems that I deal with all the time. I'm constantly stressed and very ambitious, but I live with it, it's tough at times though. I've never missed a college deadline so far and I hate having assignments hanging over me, so I do them ASAP, my course is totally based on continuous assessment so I'm under pressure all the time. It's difficult because I don't like to think much because then I tend to over-analyse situations and get even MORE stressed! (I listen to my iPod before I sleep or leave the radio on so I don't have bad thoughts in my head)

For my final exams for Secondary school (that's the place in Ireland you go to before College/Uni) I was put down a lot because people thought I wasn't working for my college course (it's a points system in Ireland, each subject has a max of 100 points and it's based on 6 subjects so it's out of 600) BUT in the end I got 510/600 way above what I needed but I think that's what my tension and stress is based on. The feeling that people think that I'm not good enough...

Problem: I can't relax, I've rarely relaxed and I'm feeling down.
Sora121
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can really say is welcome to reality. Sounds kinda harsh but that's the truth of it.

You've got to find relaxation in whatever form you can, and know when to just let something ride.
I'm sure when you think it out, you actually have a good deal of time where you just sit in frustration. Instead of being all wound up just walk away from what you're doing, forget it for a bit, and go do something that relaxes you.

Its surprising what a cup of warm tea or coffee and just 10 minutes of sitting in the sun can do for your head.
When you go back to your work you'll feel refreshed and may even have found the answer to your frustrations. So try that some time, and urge your friends to go out every now and then, its okay to reward your efforts with some fun too. Smile
Hawk4444
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea or coffee is an EXCELLENT idea. its so relaxing on a cold day. Try the many flavors of tea too. Tea can be like candy. your all ooooo whats oolong or ooooo whats earl grey? plus you can add things like milk, honey or sugar, etc.

and remember the phrase, "stop to smell the roses"

well do just that. if there are flowers pick one n stop to smell it and enjoy its scent. Sit down somewhere relatively isolated and close your eyes. Listen to the leaves blowing in the trees, the birds chirping, if its night time listen to the sounds of nighttime or stare up in the cosmos and see all the lights twinkle.

try some meditation, just sit n breath deeply, clear your mind and think of happier thoughts or just do the above and enjoy your moment it'll refresh you and help with stress. i know this helps me out.

also try yoga, its known for its effects on stress reduction and its an excellent way to excercise. b/c its one of the 3 excercised you can do. strech, strength, and cardio.

just try n find activities you like to do. for me its cooking. i love to cook while listening to a variety of music. Its a rewarding way to lower stress might i add. ^_^
SmilePrettyVanity
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My anxiety always causes me to stress, but tea usually helps! If you have a pet, just kind of use it as a therapist that won't talk back. xD I know it sounds kind of crazy but it really does help if there's something you need to get off your chest. And I agree, exercise is a great way to get all that negative energy off! Or go to a park and read your favorite book. =] Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress- Hope you feel better soon!

- She has blue eyes and believes in a little something called fate. <3
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
liggybird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find using positive affirmations helps a lot.

Affirmations are simply words I repeat over and over either silently in my head to myself when I'm out or openly out loud when I'm alone. I use either single words like 'relaxation' 'calmness' 'confidence' or sentences like 'I am feeling relaxed' 'I make the right choices' etc.

You can use whatever appropriate word or phrase you like (or choose from several to suit particular stressful situations).

There are a few simple rules I tend to apply when doing this. One is, in the case of a single word, to choose a noun (rather than a verb, adjective or adverb I suppose) so for instance 'relaxation' or 'calmness' works better than 'relax' or 'calm'.

With the sentence the main 'rule' is that it should be in the present tense. So 'I make the right choices' is better than 'I will make the right choices'.

Basically when I do this I'm replacing negative thoughts (which over the years I've got into the habit of thinking) with positive ones. It's sometimes a two steps forward one step back process, but doing this regularly and often (even at times when I'm not actually facing a stressful situation) has proved an effective technique for me.

I was recommended to read Louise Haye's book 'You Can Heal Your Life' by a friend. That book is where I first learned the idea of using affirmations. I think the book is still in print.

My stress first showed up in my late thirties at which time I was in a technically demanding and rapidly changing engineering job. It got so I never seemed to stop thinking about work. Even at weekends I would spend much of the time worrying about how I would cope the following Monday. I eventually quit the job - but that's the start of another 'helluva long' story. You'll be relieved to hear that I'm not going to bore anyone with it (ever! Embarassed )

I'm not particularly ambitious, but I did set quite high educational and achievement standards for myself at school, college and work.

The other advice I've read in this thread all seems useful too. (I particularly like Hawk4444's 'stop to smell the roses' - our world is simply the most amazing place.) Best to combine as many of these ideas as possible.

Best wishes. Smile
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk4444 wrote:
Tea or coffee is an EXCELLENT idea.

My doctor said caffeine is a no no for those with stress :/. Especially coffee.

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
liggybird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverKitsune wrote:
Hawk4444 wrote:

I've heard that said about caffeine too. I'm pretty sure I drink too much coffee - but I'd hate to have to give it up. I try to offset my caffeine intake by eating sensibly (plenty of fruit, vegetables, fish, oats, bread, sweet puddings and a lesser amount of meat) and taking excercise (eg by walking to places rather than catching the bus). Everything in moderation - even moderation! Wink
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liggybird wrote:
SilverKitsune wrote:
Hawk4444 wrote:

I've heard that said about caffeine too. I'm pretty sure I drink too much coffee - but I'd hate to have to give it up. I try to offset my caffeine intake by eating sensibly (plenty of fruit, vegetables, fish, oats, bread, sweet puddings and a lesser amount of meat) and taking excercise (eg by walking to places rather than catching the bus). Everything in moderation - even moderation! Wink

I love coffee, you have no idea Sad. I usually drink decaf now, it's not as strong so it seems to be alright. One time this stupid girl at star bucks forgot to give me decaf and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I got all shaky and felt panicked (sp? o.0) for some reason. Also, yeah, a healthy diet a long with exercise and a good nights sleep will make everything better. Smile

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

;___; Coffee and tea is icky. *pout* They are both bitter. Am I still a kid for thinking that? lol
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckylace222 wrote:
;___; Coffee and tea is icky. *pout* They are both bitter. Am I still a kid for thinking that? lol

No, lol. I was given coffee at a young age, maybe that is why I am so short ;____;. Also, some people just don't like coffee/tea~

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
liggybird

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've deleted what I wrote here earlier today as on reflection I felt it was probably taking this thread away from its original topic. Sorry 'bout that guys. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Life Assistance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: