Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Awe what the heck....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="unfocused"]Who said anything about personality?

Ironman blows, btw.[/quote]

I love ironman >:'(

[b]xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."[/b]
unfocused

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Captain Mexico! I need that on a shirt.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Plus the Harlequin sisters were pretty badass along with the hynea and Scarecrow villians. [/quote]
There are Harlequin sisters?!
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"][quote]Plus the Harlequin sisters were pretty badass along with the hynea and Scarecrow villians. [/quote]
There are Harlequin sisters?![/quote]

Yes, Harly's twin granddaughters actually.
[b]RPG[/b]-[i]n[/i]. A computer programing language designed for business reporting that generates specific programs from the users specifications.([b]R[/b]eport [b]P[/b]rogram [b]G[/b]enerator)[i]The American Heritage Dictionary[/i]

[u][url=http://www.photo-lucidity.com/user-Battou.php]Photo-Lucidity[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-battou.php]FaAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.funart-central.net/user-Battou.php]FuAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/index.php]Joke of the day[/url][/u]
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="unfocused"]Yeah, Batman Beyond and Azrael were different Batmans, that coexisted alongside the original Batman in his storylines. But they were still used as devices in the same way this new superfag is.

The Beyond character is essentially the same as this new angsty Superman character, as Sarah pointed out for us, he was still used to attract silly girls with his hipster appearance and attitude. Azreal was more of an upgrade, but for the same Batman fans, not a device to gain a new fan demographic.

The only makeover I can think of on the real Batman was the Dark Knight. Changing Batman from an average, masked vigilante detective to a more gritty, dark, and fierce character. Which actually worked and has stuck in the comics for ages.

This new Superfag would have never worked as the original Superman. The original is such an iconic character because of what he has always stood for. [i]Always[/i]. His purity and morality, his capability of always doing the right thing reflects the good in most people, much in the same way as Batman reflects the dark in us.

Superfag seems like he's going to be just eye candy for the pathetic. But I haven't read the book yet so I dunno.[/quote]

Now, if I read the article correctly, this is supposed to be more along the lines of Smallville, but this essentially wraps right back around to why I never really got into Smallville. Sorry but, Tom Welling just isn't Superman material. Albeit closer than DC's newest depiction, There are just too many things that simply can not line up. I understand there is the element of impossible things in comic books but the required changes from Superfag to Superman far exceed the limit. I agree, this looks more like a Van with free candy painted on the side than the back story and buildup of a superhero.

[quote="Emrys"]@ luckylace; OMG!! YES!!!

@ james: don't hate.

@ silk: um no

@ general population: next thing you know, Iron Man will have a emo getup and depression issues to the point of /wrists
Or maybe they'll go after the Hulk and give him black trenchcoat and chains so that when he busts out of it he's wearing something that looks as if it could be bought at hot topic. Plus dark eyeliner, black nails and a /wrist personality. Oh and then they'll make Rogue and Wonderwoman to appeal to the gay community... and probably make Nick Fury black... ((dayam, too late)) Oh and Captain America will become Capitan Americano and be of latino decent.

((Disclaimer, If i offend anyone with racial profiling it is not intended. Superheros were classics and should be left as they were or as close as possible to the original. Samuel L. Jackson is one of my favorite actors but I think him being Nick Fury is akin to going back and recasting Star Wars with Hayden Christensen as the old Darth Vader... Next thing you know, they'll recast the voice actor as someone other than James Earl Jones))[/quote]

On the Nick Fury aspect, My brother and I are of the same sentiment. I went out and bought the Ironman movie on DVD and really enjoyed it right up to the end when Fury comes in....We where both pissed to find yet another occasion of changing a characters race just to put a big named black star in a role. Sorry but as much as I like Jackson....Hasselhoff was a far more accurate Nick Fury.
[b]RPG[/b]-[i]n[/i]. A computer programing language designed for business reporting that generates specific programs from the users specifications.([b]R[/b]eport [b]P[/b]rogram [b]G[/b]enerator)[i]The American Heritage Dictionary[/i]

[u][url=http://www.photo-lucidity.com/user-Battou.php]Photo-Lucidity[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-battou.php]FaAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://www.funart-central.net/user-Battou.php]FuAC[/url][/u] - [u][url=http://forums.fanart-central.net/index.php]Joke of the day[/url][/u]
unfocused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Battou"]Now, if I read the article correctly, this is supposed to be more along the lines of Smallville, but this essentially wraps right back around to why I never really got into Smallville. Sorry but, Tom Welling just isn't Superman material. Albeit closer than DC's newest depiction, There are just too many things that simply can not line up. I understand there is the element of impossible things in comic books but the required changes from Superfag to Superman far exceed the limit. I agree, this looks more like a Van with free candy painted on the side than the back story and buildup of a superhero[/quote]
Ok first of all, never compare Superfag to Smallville. Ever again. Smallville has spent [b]10 long years[/b] carefully building a great superhero. And like I recently posted on a Smallville forum; I wouldn't want any less of a Superman. Smallville isn't about an angsty kid with super powers, and it definitely wouldn't be considered a one-shot. It's about a kid growing up and trying to learn how to use his super powers for good purposes. The only similarities I see between Smallville and Superfag is that they are both origin stories retold in modern times. Sorry, but Smallville did it first, a looong time ago.

Second of all, the fact that you can say Tom Welling isn't Superman material screams that you don't even watch the show, particularly from season 8 when his vigilante run began. Not only does he have the perfect build (6'2", impressive physique, facial likeness) but he also sports the innocent but confident attitude of the Clark Kent from the comics, and not the clumsy, self-unassured CK from the 80's Reeve movies. You want to see Welling play out the CK from the comics exactly, watch the 200th episode, "Homecoming." Where he travels years into the future and meets himself, slick hair, trenchcoat, glasses n' all Wink

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/unfocused/1004005n.jpg[/img]

[quote="Battou"]On the Nick Fury aspect, My brother and I are of the same sentiment. I went out and bought the Ironman movie on DVD and really enjoyed it right up to the end when Fury comes in....We where both pissed to find yet another occasion of changing a characters race just to put a big named black star in a role. Sorry but as much as I like Jackson....Hasselhoff was a far more accurate Nick Fury.[/quote]
You and your brother need more education in comic book history. Jackson's Fury is a play to Ultimate Nick Fury (2002), part of Marvels Ultimate line. The character was literally (re)designed after Sam Jackson, a tough, fearless, badass African American. I can see why Marvel jumped at the opportunity to cast the real life inspiration for the movies character.

Read Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. The ending is a dud, but it's a fun story, and you'll see the similarities between Ultimate Nick Fury and Sam Jackson's Nick Fury.

From Wikipedia: Actor Samuel L. Jackson gave his consent for Marvel Comics to use his likeness in their redesign of the Fury character for The Ultimates[7], and first appeared with this revised look in Ultimates #1, as drawn by Bryan Hitch. The similarity is even noted within the comic itself, in a scene in which the Ultimates discuss who they think should play each of them in a hypothetical movie about the team. Fury's answer for himself is "Mr. Samuel L. Jackson, of course, no discussion."

Here's a fave cap of mine. Fury just dropped a nuke on Wolvie and Hulk, and brought Wolvie's body parts back to his base.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/unfocused/uwvsh.png[/img]
Battou
Photo Lucidity Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="unfocused"][quote="Battou"]On the Nick Fury aspect, My brother and I are of the same sentiment. I went out and bought the Ironman movie on DVD and really enjoyed it right up to the end when Fury comes in....We where both pissed to find yet another occasion of changing a characters race just to put a big named black star in a role. Sorry but as much as I like Jackson....Hasselhoff was a far more accurate Nick Fury.[/quote]
You and your brother need more education in comic book history. Jackson's Fury is a play to Ultimate Nick Fury (2002), part of Marvels Ultimate line. The character was literally (re)designed after Sam Jackson, a tough, fearless, badass African American. I can see why Marvel jumped at the opportunity to cast the real life inspiration for the movies character.

Read Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk. The ending is a dud, but it's a fun story, and you'll see the similarities between Ultimate Nick Fury and Sam Jackson's Nick Fury.

From Wikipedia: Actor Samuel L. Jackson gave his consent for Marvel Comics to use his likeness in their redesign of the Fury character for The Ultimates[7], and first appeared with this revised look in Ultimates #1, as drawn by Bryan Hitch. The similarity is even noted within the comic itself, in a scene in which the Ultimates discuss who they think should play each of them in a hypothetical movie about the team. Fury's answer for himself is "Mr. Samuel L. Jackson, of course, no discussion."

Here's a fave cap of mine. Fury just dropped a nuke on Wolvie and Hulk, and brought Wolvie's body parts back to his base.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/unfocused/uwvsh.png[/img][/quote]

I'll give you the Smallville thing for now because you do have a lot more knowledge on that than I do...But Nick Fury though has an argument coming. The Ironman movie was in production back in 1990, A full twelve years before Fury's redesign. The rights and script responsibilities bounce around from company to company all having script writers taking their stab at it. By 2000 New Line Cinema had the rights to the movie and had Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, and Tim McCanlies writing scripts, McCanlies had a novel idea of using a Nick Fury cameo in an attempt to set up his own future movie. McCanlies turned in his completed script in in 2002. I find the coincidence of the characters redesign from [u][url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/First_Ultimate_Fury.jpg]this[/url][/u] to [u][url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/UltimateNickFury.jpg]this[/url][/u] wile the concept of the Fury character appearing in a new movie script that was in progress from 2000 to 2002 a little hard to swallow. The fact that Stan Lee was involved since 1996, A man with a direct line to Marvle, makes it a little harder to swallow. This theory is further supported by Jackson being a huge fan of anime and comic books...Ya know...all that comic book knowledge, the knowledge of the books them selves he showed in [i]Unbreakable[/i], that was him, not script. Jackson admits to collecting comic book movies as well as loving to watch his own works. He has been reading Nick Fury since his first appearance in 1963. The promise of being cast into movies that fit into his collections so nicely as a character he knows so well had to be irresistible. Samuel L. Jackson granted permission to use his likeness for the characters redesign during a period when live action interpretations of popular comic books were being realized. He did so knowing that when a movie with that character would appear, the roll was his by default and quite frankly I would not be surprised to find that it was in the the contract. When Marvel required the rights to the movie in 2006, Samuel L. Jackson's roll as Fury became all but finalized despite Marvel basically ditching all most all of the previous scripting and screenplays, the only thing remaining from the 2002 script is that last second Nick Fury cameo used to set up the next movie.

Jackson likely owns a copy of the 1998 Fury movie that the Hoff helped push into the sh[color=black]it[/color]ter, I would not be surprised if Jackson wants to see the damage that did undone considering Jackson has been reading the comics Fury has been in since the characters inception, but that is purely speculation.

And another little known fact that prolly had some influence in all of that.....Marvel producer Avi Arad lives just up the street from Samuel L. Jackson.

The fact Jackson knows the character is moot to me, Fury was white from 1963 to 2002 when he suddenly became black, that is an undeniable fact. The coincidence of this change coming during a movie production where a script involving a Fury cameo at the end was handed in, I don't buy it, not for a second.

SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fury must have the same thing Uncle Ruckus does, reverse vitaligo. =o

Sorry couldnt resist. But very good statement Battou, you truely do know your stuff. ;3

Carry on with the debate ppls dont mind meh. -watches with a bag of popcorn-
SILK
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just wanted to say i like black fury,
cause when wolverine, captain america, spiderman , and hulk be actin a fool
who you gonna get to get them back in line. Shaft....er wait Mace Win..no no that's not it uh i mean Sam Jackso...Nick Fury.(i think that's right)

but seriously i do like the black fury.
beside the white streak in the old furys hair looked so stupid.

Last edited by SILK on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
unfocused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Battou"]Fury was white from 1963 to 2002 when he suddenly became black, that is an undeniable fact[/quote]
Actually, that is a very deniable [i]non [/i]fact. Ultimate Nick Fury first appeared in 2001. Black. With no resemblance to Samuel L. Jackson, at all. This means the character was indeed NOT redesigned for the sake of placing a well-known black actor in a movie adaptation of a [i]different [/i]title that would not be released for another 7 years.

Nick Fury was redesigned for the Ultimate Universe because [b]it is the Ultimate Universe[/b], an alternate universe devised to give readers fresh stories with fresh faces, histories, attitudes, baggage, and/or etc. to their favorite characters.

[quote="Battou"]We where both pissed to find yet another occasion of changing a characters race just to put a big named black star in a role.[/quote]
Nope. There was no 7 year long conspiracy to put a big name black actor in a few cameo roles. Sorry.

Ultimate Nick Fury was black before Sam Jackson entered the picture.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Fury's got the EYEPATCH. He's got it going on.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last comic book series I looked at... Nick was white with the white streak in his hair. That was the civil war series where Nick Fury goes rogue and Captain America becomes a bad guy and Iron Man becomes the leader of the Avengers.

Best

Comic

Series

Ever

Akidaz: My world. NO YOU CAN'T COME!
Emrys: but?
Akidaz: Okay, you can, but NO ONE ELSE!
SILK
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Emrys"]In the last comic book series I looked at... Nick was white with the white streak in his hair. That was the civil war series where Nick Fury goes rogue and Captain America becomes a bad guy and Iron Man becomes the leader of the Avengers.

Best

Comic

Series

Ever[/quote]

the marvel civil war was an ok event but i really dont think i was [i]That[/i] good.
Funky_EsterMan
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Civil War was entirely bogus. They killed Captain America, Spider-Man revealed his identity to the world, and Iron Man was working for the government...then the status quo effect kicked in, and Captain America came back, Spider-Man made a deal with the Devil to bring his Aunt May back to life, and Iron-Man deleted half his brain so he'd forget he had anything to do with any of this...literally, he stuck a usb in his head and hit "[b][color=darkred]delete[/color][/b]".

Thus, the only 'effect' the Civil War served was, what? Making Harry Osbourne a good guy? That's all I see going on, as the end result of the Civil War. At least it was better than any actual Civil War in history doctrines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: