Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear Reply with quote

The Rally was today. Surprised

Personally, I find such an event where they were able to gather "people who've been too busy to go to rallies" to shout/voice their opinions(them Tea party peoples *shivers*) is AMAZING!

I have a strong feeling most of you did not go, but if you could, would you have gone? Smile

I would have. Going to a rally is 10 times cooler than anything I could do at school or home- or blogging on FAC, lol.

I read the Wikipedia article(it is already up!) This made me laugh:
"Stewart first publicly addressed the possibility of a rally on the September 10, 2010, episode of The Daily Show, stating that 'I, Jon Stewart, am announcing that I will have an announcement sometime in the near to not-so-near future." The same night on The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert more directly mentioned the possibility of a rally, mentioning the Reddit campaign, and responded that, if Stewart made an announcement, he would make "an even more important counter-announcement."

What do you think about it?
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
London

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that it was, by all accounts, larger than Glenn Beck's rally. Nice to know our country still has a healthy population of sane people with good humor.

I wanted to go, but my permit for being in Canada has kinda expired, so if I leave I can't get back into the country. So I'm stuck here. My parents and brother did go, though. :V

Edit: I don't know why I'm bothering, since most of you are probably underage or apathetic, but VOTE ON TUESDAY!
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted early...

But I'm a registered Republican so I don't think that helps you London Razz

Akidaz: My world. NO YOU CAN'T COME!
Emrys: but?
Akidaz: Okay, you can, but NO ONE ELSE!
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republicans dominated this election- as expected. Laughing
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
London

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was obvious that the GOP would have a good night, but there were a good number of Democrats that won. The loss in the House is about the same as during the Clinton administration, which is odd because the country was in a much better position in 1994 than it is now.

It looks like the Senate is still ours. I was not expecting Reid to survive, so that was a nice surprise!

I feel a little left out in this election, since there weren't any important races going on in New Jersey. (My candidate did win, though. C: )

I want numbers from Alaska. Now.

Anyone have any strong opinions on marijuana? It looks like legalization was struck down in Cali.

This talk of Chris Christie for GOP presidential nominee is frightening, but he's much more viable than Palin or Bachmann (and maybe Huckabee and Romney). Honestly, I think he'd lose his own state.

Last edited by London on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
London

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
I voted early...

But I'm a registered Republican so I don't think that helps you London Razz

Well I never said Democrats in particular should vote. I think the country would benefit immensely from increased voter turnout in general. Increasing voter interest might be hard to do, but spreading election-day registration and allowing more early/mail-in ballots should have a dramatic effect on turnout.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Rubio won for Florida. Mad There is something I do not like about that guy, but I should really not judge before he starts initiating some policies/ideas.

I kind of expected more republicans to win because of how much disfavor people had for Obama's slow progress. However, I believe his financial/social reforms have greatly helped the lower-class citizens and economy in general. It may not be enough just yet, but we should not jump on him as if he had done nothing for us(remember that media jumps on the negative mistakes of presidents more than their positive contributions).

Quote:
Anyone have any strong opinions on marijuana? It looks like legalization was struck down in Cali.

I believe it is not a bright idea to fill prisons with drug addicts and dealers, but I do not think legalizing one of the drugs they deal with helps either.

Something tells me I am going to shift to either Republican/Moderate when I grow older. Confused Nevermind. I hate how Democratic/Republican parties seem only like a "label" nowadays.
London

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubio was expected to win. :\ If you add up the numbers for Meek (D) and Christ (I), the total is higher than Rubio's. Even if Bill Clinton managed to get Meek to drop out, I don't think everyone originally voting for Meek would have switched over to Christ. They probably would have just stayed home, so Rubio still would have won.

Are you still too young to vote? :0

Obama has actually done a lot for the country in the two years he's been in office. The problem is that his administration is bad at communicating the changes to the people, and there are a number of things that he promised to do in the first year that haven't been done (DADT, Guantanamo, etc). It's shocking how many Democrats tried to run away from the Health Care bill this campaign. Granted, there are a ton of things wrong with the current bill, but it's undeniably better for us to have this version so we can fix it in the future than to not have it at all. (Also lol@ Republicans trying to repeal.)

I haven't looked into marijuana legalization too much. It's not a high profile political issue where I live, and it's certainly not going to happen nationally anytime soon. I guess growing it locally might help decrease the flow of illegal drugs from Mexico, and we already permit the use of drugs that are more dangerous (tobacco, alcohol, etc). The sure benefit from legalization seems to be the revenue the government can get from taxing it.

I really wish we had more than two large political parties. The only reason we're even limited to two parties is because presidential elections require the winner to have over HALF the electoral votes instead of just the MOST, and even this dumb electoral college system is an outdated remnant of when we were more of a republic than a democracy instead of the other way around. America changed, but the Constitution is taking a while to catch up.

It's amazing how I can type a serious forum post like this in ten minutes, but it takes me hours to write something of the same length if it's for school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: