Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Pet Peeves when Being Artistic--What are Yours?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryuuryuu
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Pet Peeves when Being Artistic--What are Yours? Reply with quote

You are drawing. All is silent, or perhaps your favorite music is playing, and you are totally at ease. Suddenly, someone comes bursting into the room where you are drawing, creating a loud ruckus and, in general, being a nuisance. To make matters worse, you keep hearing this consistent and irritating noise that even your closed window doesn't mute.

Had it happen? How about other things that just ruin it for you when you finally get yourself focused on a good piece of work? If so, tell us what really gets you annoyed when working!

For myself:
--loud and sudden noises
--Any bugs in the room (for some reason, they really like my bedroom, yech)
--My sisters screaming at each other (very loud, very annoying)
--dogs in the room (I just find it super annoying to have our dogs in my room... they make unwanted noise and steps on my projects)
--having my door open (This is just a big annoyance for me--I have no idea why, but I cannot stand my door being open when I am working)
--INTERRUPTION! Most annoying thing ever--being dragged away from a piece you are enjoying to do something pointless!
Xx_True_Dachshund_xX
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get annoyed if I am doing a traditional drawing and if someone is standing behind me watching me draw it....I know that it's great that they're interested in watching me draw but for some reason that has always annoyed me. >_>

If I am doing a digital art drawing:

- If I keep getting called out of my room by my mom to do something like chores or whatnot.
- If there is a thunderstorm outside I gotta save and stop what I am doing and turn my computer off so it doesn't get fried. That happened three years ago, I was working on a drawing and I heard a loud boom just outside my window and the power goes off and comes back on but my computer wouldn't ever turn on again.
- If I am drawing and if we have an unexpected power surge. That's why I save more often now.
- I can't draw if I have my door open.
- If my two dogs in my room start barking and won't shut up.
- Not really an interruption but I usually like to finish drawings all in one sitting so if I get tired then I must go to bed and work on it tomorrow, kinda annoying to me though.
- If my ferret is running loose in my room, I gotta pick up the stuff that she steals and tries to hide from me such as pieces of trash or my wallet.
- If I go to work on a drawing and it gives me like tablet driver errors then I must restart my computer.
- If I go to draw and I'm drawing in my favorite program and it freezes up or crashes on me. I was drawing in Sai Paint Tool the other night and the program froze up on me and I had to close it out with the Task Manager and whatever I did in it before I closed it out I had to do again. >_>
Xiakeyra
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I often work with clay and I usually start working on it when I'm completely alone. I don't mind noises, I can even study with a lot of noise they don't disturb me at all although I hate being interrupted, especially when I'm making the trickiest parts suchs as faces and hands.
I always plan to do a lot of art stuff during summer holidays, but the problem is I have NO air conditioner, so I cannot concentrate at all when it's extremely hot.
When I make claymation one of the worst thing that may happen is someone shaking the table and causing all the figurines, tripod, camera, and setting fall. That'd drive me mad.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can deal with loud interruptions, people talking to me, thundering weather, a bad work station, chores in-between, someone stepping on my artwork; the only thing that irritates me is me getting distracted and not going back to the artwork. I get restless and want to do new things.

I usually finish artwork in one sitting, but if that's not the case, it takes a lot of determination to go back to it. That's the only thing that irks me; myself getting irritated and distracted.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
ryuuryuu
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dachshund--goodness yes, on the first one! I help teach an elementary art class on Thursdays at school, but in between I use the time to work on projects. I always get the most annoying kids/students standing behind me and just talking non-stop or commenting. High school classmates are the worst, because they don't seem to understand that a drawing tends to start out naked, and younger students don't appreciate naked art because they haven't learned to appreciate clothed art D8
London

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When "being artistic."

I don't like people standing behind me, because lots of my drawings tend to start out naked and finish naked. Except for my roommate, whom I still owe a birthday picture of something vaguely inappropriate.
Crazywhitegirl13
Would like fries with that

Location: In the back of my mind, tunneling through writers block

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it when people look at it when it's not done. I don't like how my sister who I share a room with comes barging in with her friends, and also small noises (I can always hear them when I'm drawing).
ryuuryuu
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="London"]When "being artistic."

I don't like people standing behind me, because lots of my drawings tend to start out naked and finish naked. Except for my roommate, whom I still owe a birthday picture of something vaguely inappropriate.[/quote]

People Pleaser title XD--didn't have the room to write 'drawing/sculpting/painting/etc' so I decided to go with 'Being Artistic'. Not clever am I.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over my shoulder when I draw, I hate this even though i know people get curious. This is why I draw late at night or up in my room. And if i'm not blasting music in my ears, i usually prefer it nice and quiet.

There should have been a poll for these options. xP
White_Dragon
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to school I like to draw during the breaks or (if I'm lucky) during classes. However, more often than not, other people seem to peer over my shoulder and ask the most point blank captain obvious question anybody could ever muster.
"Did you draw that?"
NO.
I am sitting in front of my sketchbook, pencil in hand, currently scribbling away as you are speaking, yet, I did NOT draw this picture.
*facepalm*
Compliments are nice, but it's going too far when every single person asks that question.
Every. Single. Time.
yuai77
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand it when I'm drawing a picture and somebody comes up to me and asks "Whose that?" cuz half the time I don't even know. Can't somebody just draw something random out of boredom without it actually existing or having a name?
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/OrTsg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/OrTsg.gif[/img][/url]
ShadowFalcon
Contest Helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"]I usually finish artwork in one sitting, but if that's not the case, it takes a lot of determination to go back to it. That's the only thing that irks me; myself getting irritated and distracted.[/quote]

Yep. I do the same exact thing. If I don't finish any of my drawings in one sitting I have a REALLY really hard time trying to get enough motivation to go back and finish it. It's all that shading. Sometimes it get so monotonous I get super bored. . . . .'

[quote="White_Dragon"]
"Did you draw that?"
NO.
I am sitting in front of my sketchbook, pencil in hand, currently scribbling away as you are speaking, yet, I did NOT draw this picture.
*facepalm*
Compliments are nice, but it's going too far when every single person asks that question.
Every. Single. Time.[/quote]

I know exactly how you feel. . . . .' When I was in high school people would ask me that question all the time.
"Did you draw that?"
NO. It only has my signature on it and I'm carrying it around in a portfolio of drawings, so NO I obviously didn't draw this.

My other biggest pet peeve is when I'm drawing something, but it doesn't feel quite right when you finish. And then only after you've gone through the process of shading it do you realize you forgot to draw something in.
phantom223

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your drawing and someone is like: "oh sup bru hope ya don't mind me looming over yer shoulder lol" and they just stare at you.
It makes phantom feel mently molested.

[img]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/482/template.jpg[/img]
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjfdslfkf! I feel like that too! I just didnt know how to word it. xP

Or how about when you are finished with said drawing..and someone yanks it away and looks at it? Had that happen a few times..but I got bro to break that bad habit when he saw this lil number. ;3

http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-822089.html
SILK
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the thing that bothers me most is when i feel crowded or don't feel i have enough room for all my supplies around me. The other thing that drives me crazy is when i might be working on something and then come to realize i don't have all the materials or maybe i'm missing a certain pencil or color. That drives me crazy and often i will just kinda rage quit whatever i'm working on till i can get the proper tools to finish the job.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do not have the "right/ideal tools" at the moment, I usually improvise with the tools I do have- even using seemingly remedial tools like ballpoint pens with almost no ink in them, crayons, bean soup... (I have done that before!) or changing the wanted color scheme (so you do have the right colors) can give a good if not better result!

I just like to think that I can never have the ideal amount of art-material or art-space, so I might as well not expect it. How can an artist improve if he/she quits a picture just because of no pencil?
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
SILK
Forum contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it comes down to what i expect from myself. if im working on a picture and i dont have everything i need to finish it how i want then i wont because often when i improvise i dont think the end result is up to my own standards.i look at it like if your not gonna work at your best then whats the point, working at your best keeps you always improving. thats not to say i dont have room for improvisation since really that often a big part of art. As far as work space and environment is concerned i think were opposites cause i try to expect ideal environments cause often i find what you put out is what you get back. my basic outlook is if you have the means to do something well then do it well, for me that means i would rather wait a little while longer so i can get the materials and do it "right" in my mind.

my friends have said i am a "left brain" artist as opposed to the idea that most artist are"right brain" types. i never really bought into that because while i am a more analytical artist i dont believe that comes at a cost of creativity.
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]if your not gonna work at your best then whats the point[/quote]
Having the best work environment and most ideal/wanted supplies does not guarantee working at your best. You could have a scrap notebook piece of paper and a pencil, and you could still do your best! It is the mindset/determination to make a winning picture even in tough environments that measures your quality as an artist, not your tools.

^That was unbelievably cliche- how I worded that. Sorry.

It is really interesting how other artists perceive art! I kind of want a survey on exactly how people perceive their own art, other people's art, and what "good" and "bad" art is to them.

[quote]my friends have said i am a left brain artist as opposed to the idea that most artist are right brain types. i never really bought into that because while i am a [quote]more analytical artist i dont believe that comes at a cost of creativity.[/quote]
I completely agree. When I learned about right-brain and left-brain in art class, I always wondered about the accuracy of what the teacher was saying. Right brain = more creative/artistic while left brain = more analytic/math? It is an extremely generalized concept that I do not think should have been incorporated in art classes. The teachers made it sound like it was fact, and the students around me were literally accessing their worth as artists because of how dominant their brain was. I mean, just look at at Maurits Cornelis Escher's work. There is no way he does not have substantial analytic elements to his work, but that does not make him any less creative.
[img]http://thevelvetcafe.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/escher1.jpg[/img]
Personally, I think it is better to be a logical/analytic artist who can see both sides of art: the denotation and connotation. Sorry, rant.

I took these online quizzes and got Left Brain for both.

http://www.intelliscript.net/test_area/questionnaire/questionnaire.cgi
http://www.web-us.com/brain/braindominance.htm

Now, random art pop quiz! is this girl turning clockwise or counterclockwise?
[img]http://media.perthnow.com.au/fatwire/spinner/woman_spin.gif[/img]
YOUR EYE CAN MAKE HER SPIN IN BOTH DIRECTIONS!
Jhihmoac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sometimes leave an unfinished drawing, and get back to it later...especially when it's starting to look ridiculous...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: