Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Is dodge and burn for noobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unfocused

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Is dodge and burn for noobs? Reply with quote

What is the general opinion on using dodge and burn? I've seen people get grilled for using it too much, how much is too much? They are simple tools to use, is that why some people don't like to see it being used? Or is it because some people are bad with such simple tools?

I've used the tools only a little, but have used them a lot in something I am drawing right now. Kinda feels like cheating. Is it?
London

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hur, some people think using photoshop is cheating.

Nothing wrong with dodge and burn. Most people just suck at using it and it makes their pictures look ugly.

I'm absolutely terrible at getting colors to look right on the first try, and I usually end up making super drastic changes in color/brightness/contrast with the program's tools instead of re-drawing things, and some people might consider this cheating, but if you have a way to make your picture look better, it doesn't make sense not to use them.
Edward_Elric_1308
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider dodge and burn cheating. I use them all the time in openCanvas 4.06e Plus.
London

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to write out the complete names of programs while posting on forums using my Mozilla Firefox 3.0.8.
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think it goes well with lens flash.
museforsale
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure because I've never touched a good photo editing program in my life, but doesn't dodge and burn simply lighten/darken a shade?

If so, I guess people feel they're cop-outs because it allows them to avoid learning color theory. To color something properly, you don't just take the lighter/darker version of a color. Different tones and such have to be considered. I personally feel indifferent toward it (I suck at coloring), but I suppose there are some that would get pissed that people use shortcuts when they themselves have to devote time and practice to learn the right way.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge and burn are no substitute for time-honored skill and experience as an artist. They can provide convenient, quick tints and shades (that's their purpose, after all), but you need an understanding of how they work on the inside to get the most out of them.

Even when you're familiar with how they work, dodge and burn can still be a little unpredictable. In many cases you can simply configure the brush tool with an appropriate color and blending mode to imitate the same effect more precisely.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dodge and burn increases saturation and darkens at the same time. The strength relative to the color selected.

It's a lot different than simply making it darker.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Brianhjh"]I think Dodge and burn increases saturation and darkens at the same time. The strength relative to the color selected.

It's a lot different than simply making it darker.[/quote]
Saturation, like darkness/lightness/etc., are dependant on the type of colorspace used. Digital dodge and burn can be adjusted to operate on highlights/midtones/shadows giving each one different effects depending on what you need.

As an example of how dodge and burn can correlate to normal brushing, dodging shadows = low opacity white brush, Divide blending; burning highlights = low opacity black brush, Multiply blending.

Anyone have real darkroom experience? Dodge wands and burn sheets essentially inherently operated on the shadows range. Not to mention that while you could burn indefinitely, the same was not true for dodging.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
RammsteinSkollexxx
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as it's not your only tool for shading and colouring, it's very useful
Sorceress_Ultimecia
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge and Burn simply make an image look awful. God awful! Just shade it yourself the good old fashioned way. I was guilty of using dodge and burn when I was 13-14, but I've grown out of that. I RARELY use it. Use it sparingly people, don't use it often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TnFDESIGNER
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way i look at it. if the tool is what they need to create there image then all the power to them. who cares what others think about your process.the only time that i have used dodge is to get a certain lighting effect that is almost impossible get using just the brushes. personally i have trained in classes for three years on these programs and if it helps you create your beautiful image to your expectations then go fer it...

dodge is a wonderful tool for perfectly straight light beams. thats what ive used it for...but if your trained or have practiced alot of shading and lighting effects on the characters then just go with the brushes.i find they get it perfectly. everyones talented in there own ways so just embrace it.

and anyone thats going to give fellow artists trouble for doing things differently then them are closed minded and show have the reflection os advice or insults thrown right back at them because they are the ones with the poor attitude and insecurity on there own work, that or they are way too egotistical, either way they should be disregarded all together Smile
nightmare1234567890
Newb

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

dodge or burn isn't for noobs or cheating. It all base on how you use it.
Jhihmoac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, Dodge and Burn are used a lot in slight color correction when only minimal lightening (Dodge) and darkening (Burn) are needed...Both are usually used as layers on top of an existing color...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: