Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Need opinion. What are my drawings lacking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matsujun4me
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Need opinion. What are my drawings lacking? Reply with quote

Confused I need honest yet respectful opinions on my artwork. For now I have not posted my OCs.

My weaknesses are:
Background--suck at it
coloring(shading)--suck at it

I want to know why my drawings are not attention grabbers. I have my art posted on The Otaku, Deviant Art and here. And I have seen others that draw with a little less experience or just plain pencil sketch, and they receive more comments and better scores. So I'm wondering if it's something I'm just not seeing. Could u guys help me out?
London

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pictures aren't very exciting. Try more dynamic poses.

If you want more comments without significantly improving your art, draw more popular characters, and leave tons of comments on other people's stuff. Someone with sucky art can still get lots of comments if they have lots of friends on the site. :V
matsujun4me
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More dynamic poses? Hmm... All right. I'll keep it in mind, and try it out. Thank you. Very Happy
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cleaner line art to begin with. Ink liners don't work very well, or is it very dark. If you have 10 bucks to spare, buy one of those vintage dip pens with a permanent ink. It takes time to get used to them, but they are super dark and make much cleaner lines. Cool
matsujun4me
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was wondering about that, since there are some art works that look super clean...

What I do is that i draw the trad way: .5 lead pencil, then go over it with a black pen(can't remember the name, but have used fine point no spear pen) and then i scan it to PS. Afterwards darken/lighten image with adjustments. and if lines are too thin, go over it with the brush tool... Confused a friend had even recommended the program OpenCanvas, but i'm not good on drawing onto the computer with the mouse since i don't have a drawing tablet. in this case, aside from the the ink pen, what other error have i been making?
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levels is a wonderful tool in PS for that, don't use contrast/brightness.

It defines what's gonna be white and what's gonna be black in the drawing. Put the black and white arrows closer together. Cool
qazqaz1
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: look at reiq's art Reply with quote

he has many things i can't make
Silent_Writer
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try Open Canvas, its very difficult to use, as well as limited. Its good for practice, but if you're aiming for a better program, PS is the way to go, from what I've heard, I dont have it though.

I did try Open Canvas, so I know what I'm saying. Or at least, in my opinion, I found it difficult to use.
CyberIrina
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Line of action Reply with quote

Line of Action can really help with ANY form of drawing. I use it constantly. Look up some line of action tutorials on Google. You can find them pretty easily.

Line of action gives movement to the character making it have a certain flowing flare.
I remember doing thousands of stick people using the line of action principle (and still use it till this day).

Secondly, never think you can't do it. A lot of artist's starting out think this. But, if you have enough determination you will slowly start to see results. I know you can do it! Just keep on practicing different styles, really learn anatomy as well.
Getting better won't happen over night. Don't get discouraged, and just keep at it. EVERYONE has it in them.
I wish you the best and hope this helped 8D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Artistic Help All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: