Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Non fan art on a fan art themed site.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Non fan art on a fan art themed site. Reply with quote

when I joined this site I committed myself to only post fan art here, not abstracts art or original art or poetry or photography or sculpture unrelated to fan art.

I feel a themed art site should remain true to it's theme, However several of my favorite people here seem to feel otherwise and constantly post things here which are not fan art.

don't get me wrong, I love to see your art even though it doesn't suit the site's theme, but...well... I guess I'd love it more if we shared that art on another site, and stuck to the theme here? it's the same with Fur affinity. I tried to post only animal related art there, but because I had a friend who liked stories, I posted my story there anyhow, justifying that one character does have fur, he being an alien, so that made it furry enough,

anyhow. what are your thoughts on themed sites trying to stay true to their theme?
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters that it doesn't strictly stay with it's 'theme'. In fact, it is probably best that it doesn't stick with a central theme.

I mean the original FAC was a known as SP Fanart, a site strictly for South Park fanart only. Of course if it remained true to it's theme of being South Park only then this site would have died out quite long ago and, the FAC that we know now would not exist. So in order for it to continue to thrive it changed to welcome all fanart and then it began welcoming original art creations.

(IMO) Fanart Central is just the name of the site, and nothing more.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree it is good to have some original art here also, it makes me sad because I can post original art on any site, but I love the Idea of a site which holds ups fan art as something to be celebrated, not something to be dismissed as a lesser form of art. I'm not saying original art should be banned here,

when it stopped being about south park they changed the name.

I think the site should either change the name to reflect current focus or in some small ways live up to the name,

[but I can live with it the away it lis also...lol...it's not really a big issue]
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the desire to highlight and celebrate fan art, but I feel like this is as much about community at this point, as about topicality. I love seeing people playing in the topical sandboxes created by others, and getting curious about the things they love enough to draw/paint/sculpt which I hadn't heard of before. But I don't see anything against getting to know my fellow-artists as people, too - seeing their self-portraits, or the family dog, or an abstract experiment in a new medium interspersed with that celebration of favorite media. And speaking of whether the website's name is fitting - you could say that "Fanart Central," rather than being a center for fanart and only fanart, is a place where fanart is the central theme - but not, necessarily, the only theme. Wink
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective (even as an early user), one of the best things about the category system is the subject-first approach. Granted, some of the categories are things that would be better served by a more powerful / better integrated search tool, but I've always liked how, for example, the Fantasy heading doesn't just stop there but goes into specific character/creature types.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Firiel"] you could say that "Fanart Central," rather than being a center for fanart and only fanart, is a place where fanart is the central theme - but not, necessarily, the only theme. Wink[/quote]

that's a good way to think of it. I guess that's how I do on Furaffinity...now and then I post non-furry stuff just if I want to share it with a furry friend. I still intend to keep this mostly for fan art though.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stratadrake"]From my perspective (even as an early user), one of the best things about the category system is the subject-first approach. Granted, some of the categories are things that would be better served by a more powerful / better integrated search tool, but I've always liked how, for example, the Fantasy heading doesn't just stop there but goes into specific character/creature types.[/quote]

^Agreed.

[quote="Firiel"]where fanart is the central theme - but not, necessarily, the only theme. Wink [/quote]

^And...win. New slogan! (Or perhaps already the slogan?) Either way, this was worded well.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Morpher. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: