Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
How To Train Your Dragons 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: How To Train Your Dragons 2 Reply with quote

Teaser Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AqHwgk2s8

[quote]The thrilling second chapter of the epic HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON trilogy brings us back to the fantastical world of Hiccup and Toothless five years after the two have successfully united dragons and vikings on the island of Berk. While Astrid, Snoutlout and the rest of the gang are challenging each other to dragon races (the island's new favorite contact sport), the now inseparable pair journey through the skies, charting unmapped territories and exploring new worlds. When one of their adventures leads to the discovery of a secret ice cave that is home to hundreds of new wild dragons and the mysterious Dragon Rider, the two friends find themselves at the center of a battle to protect the peace. Now, Hiccup and Toothless must unite to stand up for what they believe while recognizing that only together do they have the power to change the future of both men and dragons.[/quote]
---

I'm very excited and cannot wait to see this! More Dragons! More of the Hiccup and the gang! And more adventures! Anyone else looking forward to this?
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA3LzA1L2M1L2V4Y2l0ZWRnZWVzLjUzNzNkLmdpZgpwCXRodW1iCTEyMDB4OTYwMD4/f925850e/dcc/excited-geese.gif[/img]
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that you started this conversation and never carried on with it. what did you think of it? did it live up to your expectations? I liked it a lot, my daughter hated it because Hiccup's dad died, but I think she got over that eventually.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it, I[i] loved[/i] Hiccup's mom, and the view inside the dragon-haven, and was kind of intrigued by the idea of Alphas although I was confused why Toothless seemed to become the new Alpha instead of his beating the old Alpha simply returning the other dragons to being free as they were before the bad Alpha's control.

Ok, some of the dragons were in an Alpha/herd system before. But all the dragons who had never had an Alpha, who were just overwhelmed by a bad Alpha and felt these feelings of forced loyalty they never felt before? It's like - in herd structures, you had a benevolent monarchy (haven dragons), an oppressive dictatorship (slaver dragons), and a democracy (Berk dragons). The monarchists and the democrats were both conquered by the dictatorship, but when a democratic dragon beats the dictator who beat the monarch,[i] all[/i] of the dragons default to him being the new ruler? (Sorry if I'm harping on this too much - primary plot peeve. Wink)
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's defiantly been quite some time since I've watched this movie. (I've only watched it once.) So I can't recall too much to add great detail onto my thoughts/opinions. (I'll have to rewatch it again when I have the time.) But, I'll tell of what I can recall:
---

[quote="Jadis"]what did you think of it? did it live up to your expectations? I liked it a lot, my daughter hated it because Hiccup's dad died, but I think she got over that eventually.[/quote]

^I did enjoy it. Though I thought the first one was far better then this one IMO.

It did stink that Hiccup's dad was offed, but, it make's sense as a plot drive. I personally liked seeing Astrid's character develop and change since the events of the first one. She's probably (next to Toothless) one of my favorite characters from the movie because of her development.

[quote="Firiel"]I liked it, I loved Hiccup's mom, and the view inside the dragon-haven, and was kind of intrigued by the idea of Alphas although I was confused why Toothless seemed to become the new Alpha instead of his beating the old Alpha simply returning the other dragons to being free as they were before the bad Alpha's control.[/quote]

^I thought it was weird that Toothless became the alpha as well. If you remember when the dragons were under control of the 'Red Death' in the first movie. When Toothless slayed it, none of the other dragons assumed he was the new alpha. Most just either jetted or lived peacefully within Berk.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...You know, I hadn't even thought of the big red from film 1 in the light of a dictatorial Alpha before. I figured she was just in charge because she was big enough and scary enough to take anybody else out if she wanted.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Firiel - Well that could also be the logic behind the evil Alpha as well. It was big and scary enough to make to make anyone do as it wished.

But, the thing I recall with the... (what are those alpha dragons called again?...*searches*) ... the bewilderbeast that's it! (Anyways,) what I recall is that the bewilderbeast's (the alphas) and the Red Death had in common was that ability to control other dragons. So it would make sense that it would fall into the category of a (dictatorial) Alpha.
----
...Ya know, that ability to control others (IMO) is actually kinda weird. Especially when Toothless gets it. Does that mean every dragon has that ability to control other dragons if they really wanted to?
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was part of what confused me - if it's more of a voluntary hierarchy based on the temperament and perceived threat-level of the Alpha, then that doesn't explain the mind-mojo aspect with the bewilderbeasts. But if it's based on mind-mojo, whether used on some low-key influence-you-to-like-me level or deployed full-blast to overwhelm other dragons' free will, then that wouldn't explain why dragons who have never demonstrated mind-mojo as one of their key abilities would suddenly level up to Alpha by defeating the previous Alpha of a flock.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably should've just scrapped the ability to control others entirely if you ask me. :/ Either that or have it nothing to do with being an 'Alpha Dragon' an just make it an ability that only a certain dragon species possesses.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would make sense. <.<
If it weren't for Toothless, we could headcanon it as actually being that way, and say Hiccup's mom misinterpreted the structure of her particular flock as being a common structure for flocks in general.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Toothless stayed Toothless, then yes. That is most probable.

Also, an interesting point you make on Hiccup's mother making that assumption. Cause in all honesty she probably is wrong. Based on what I've seen from the first and second movie, there is no real consistent structure to dragons in general. They just seem to do what want to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: