Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Work in Progress, progress.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Work in Progress, progress. Reply with quote

i'm still struggling to figure out how to do here what I did on storm. the lack of comment-able journals is a challenge.

I'm working on an ongoing project of a papermache dragon and I want to make comments about my progress. I had been doing so on wip pictures, but I can't post pictures some days because I don't have a camera available.

I'll try to make comments here instead.

photo of first stage: http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Jadis/848321/Tapermache-dragon-WIP

yesterday I had no time to work on it.

today I started to cover it with paper and Glue. having not done paper mache in awhile, I remembered after getting covered with glue that it's very hard to tear up strips of paper when you have glue all over your hands. and hard to answer the phone, and the door, and deal with pets, etc. and it takes a lot of glue.

Today I also decided to add the wings, and started working on design and structure. I am cutting the "bones" out of cardboard, which will be layered with a lot of glue, and the probably paper mached over. I am going to try using the same net I'm using for scales as the wing membranes.

it's all very experimental and has a good chance of not working. But that's ok, it's for the learning.

Edit: I decided to cut three layers of cardboard for each wing "bone" and layer the net between. I glued them together this evening and I think it's going to work. they need to curve a little so I had to prop them curved and clamp them with lots of clips. can't wait to see what it looks like when the glue dries. but I still have to find a way to attach the wings. I'm seriously considering duck tape, and also considering nails or pegs or some such. or wire which would then have to be covered with Paper Mache.

Last edited by Jadis on Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a promising experiment. Smile
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, your like literally building a dragon, bones, flesh and all!

Btw, you say your unsure on how to attach the wings. I'm not too sure on attaching them with duck tape; sure duck tape is a great thing and holds well but, if your gonna put papermache over it, well, I'm not too sure how well it would adhere to it. (Though you said this was all experimental so if you wanna go for it still, by all means.)

When I was attaching some antennas I made for a mask that needed to remain rigid and remain in place I used hot glue, I held them in the position they needed to be in until the glue dried. Once the glue dried they stayed in place however, for extra insurance I also papermached them to down to the mask itself.

Granted I don't know how big or heavy the wings are for your dragon and what not so it definitely might need some reinforcement with some wire.

I'd love to see the WIPs of the work you've done for the wings and everything else you've worked on. Smile
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. it's crazy, I keep asking myself why I'm doing it

I should take a WIP photo of the wings before I start putting them on. Hot glue is an interesting Idea, if only I knew where my hot glue gun is...I think once I get enough paper ache in place that will hold them, it's a matter of what will hold them in place while it dries.

I have the same concern you express about duck tape. the wings as is are not terribly heavy. I might just prop the whole this really well and put them on one at a time with paper mache.

I'm probably going to start on it this evening, pretty soon.

Last edited by Jadis on Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to base the wing structure on the dragons from my Destiny of Dreams story, Since the wings are red, I'm calling her Monterra, after a red mother dragon in the story.

The "bones" of the wings are not bones at all but hollow tubes which inflate with blood forced out of the body into the wing "bones", thus rendering the wings ridged while reducing the central mass of the body, and eliminating the need of heavy calcium based bones. there is also a network of veins in the membrane of the wings which fills with blood to give them a sort of controlled structure also. the net here represents that network of veins.

the reason one wing of the modal is smaller is that wing is partly folded, and the lower part withdraws into the body when folded. very small dragons can withdraw their wings entirely into their body to protect them from snagging on tree branches and such. Old dragon like Her would not be running through the woods anyhow, so no longer needs this defense. if she walks through the forest she is bigger than the trees.

Last edited by Jadis on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wings look cool, and light, though this is without the addition of it being covered in glue and papermache. I'm a little worried on how heavy they may become when you start papermaching them. Though it'll be lighter when it drys then when first applied, I am unsure how heavy they might be with however many layers may be added after it has dried due to the size of them.

It might be best to papermache the wings themselves first then before attaching them. That way you could determine the overall weight of them first and see if just attaching them with papermache to the main body will hold them up. If you can't find your glue gun you could, if you have some, also add a little bit of strength by taping down to the body with masking tape.

Also, because you seem to plan on having the wings folded how do you plan on keeping it's shape when you papermache it? I know the papermache is gonna weigh it down and make it loose it's shape. Sometimes when I papermache something and needed a very specific bend/shape I end up making sure I have free time and hold it in place, with a fan blowing on it to help quicken the drying process a little, until it's dry enough were it'll keep its shape when I let go and so that I may go in latter to add more layers to it. (Probably not optimal but it works for me xD)

Btw, love the telling about your dragon and it's anatomy.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have attached the larger wing. I taped glued and clamped it between two cardboard braces, and then propped it up to dry and added a few layers of paper mache around the joint. we'll see how it goes.

yes, I am also concerned about the weight, I am considering adding lead in the feet to keep the whole thing standing if this one wing is too heavy.

I'm not entirely pleased with the pose of this wing, it extends farther to the side than I like [it will take up a lot of space]
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding lead to the feet would help keep it upright. But, if both wings touch the ground the right way then the wings should keep the dragon up but, lead weight in the feet sounds like a much better idea.

At least the wing itself isn't papermached yet, so you can always adjust the pose of it then. Could also always maybe fold the wings in a bit more too if it is eating space up.

I look forward to seeing how well this goes as well.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the wings to hold it up would have been a smart Idea, I didn't think of that, though It seems like an obvious thing now.

so far it seems to be able to stand as is. I'm going to Mache the joint really well right now, and hopefully tonight I'll be able to add the second wing.then I'll gradually add paper to the wings.

When I add the claws to the feet that will also increase the base size which will increase stability also.

sat am WIP

I thickened the base of the wing with normal paper ache and then built it up more with glue and tissue, which makes a more formable pasty paper mache.

link to photo because I couldn't get it to make a picture here:
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/jadisofeternity/wip%20reinforch%20wing%20joint_zpsb8not3c7.jpg?t=1455303200

detail of the thickened joint.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it is quite sturdy and shouldn't buckle when dried. Looking good so far. Keep up the good work! Smile
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see the little guy growing some wings. Smile
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So any progress made on this Jadis? I am curious to know.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, no progress. I've been very busy with a major housekeeping project, [getting rid of some old furniture while I had manpower and a truck available] and Roderick has wanted to play outside a lot because the weather had been wonderful, AND....I'm trying to work on cosplay.

but I do hop to get that other wing on tomorrow, now that the furniture is gone, and most other things moved back into places.
Morpher
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear ya. I've pretty much been there with all of that. And totally, the weather in my area has also be rather nice as well. Indeed, progress will be made when progress can be made. I shall patiently await for your progress.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Nakakon is over, and Cosplay set aside for the year [unless we attend the fur con next month...hmmm] but at least for the next week or two, anyhow, I'm going to try to finish some wip and requests. this dragon is still sitting on my pinball machine waiting for his second wing.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he'll fly much better with two. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: