Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
is this the suggestion box for community development?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: is this the suggestion box for community development? Reply with quote

presuming it is, I see we have "news" on the front page which is more than two years old, that we have no newer "news".

I propose that we start having a monthly news letter, and yes I am willing to do the work as far as maintaining it monthly. but I'm a clueless newbe so I can understand you might not want my help even if you were to respect my suggestion.

who has the power to post news here? why do they not every month? what could be done to correct this neglect?

in any community there is always news. there could be a forum for the general community to suggest news Items and then the news editor could feature some of those on the monthly news post, plus a message from staff and feature a new artist or someone who is showing great progress or whatever.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site has been pretty slow for a while, unfortunately. The staff currently consists of the webmaster and two admins, and (in my personal opinion) there hasn't felt like much to talk about lately. Back when we had a larger active community and a larger staff we did attempt sending out newsletters from time to time, but that kind of fizzled out....
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to renew this question. what would it take now to get the news on the front page updated at least once a year? please can we just have everything on the front page be from the current year, so we don't look so dead. you say we can't have news or current features because we are too inactive, but if we don't even pretend to be inactive, then activity declines, people look at how inactive we appear and don't want to get involved. actually the small group of people were who are active are very active and involved and there is a small but thriving community here. Why not let this community grow and thrive by acting like it is growing and thriving?

really what would be the harm in a monthly news letter? it could contain features of the best art from the month, introductions to a great artist who joined that month, and challenges of art projects to inspire creativity for the next month. stuff like that. and it could be really short if the time to make it is an issue. and you could let a different person write it each month so nobody has to do too much work.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's true that this site is very, very slow compared to most active art sites. Yes, there is a handful of active members who come and go as life allows, but I understand how doing all that work for just a handful of people, just to post news on... well, nothing, wouldn't be very rewarding.

So I have my own suggestion, and it's something that I've been trying very hard to do here. If you want to see something happen, make it happen yourself. Yeah, we can't post front page newsletters, feature pictures, or moderate problems, but our profiles are insanely customizeable, and people can read our posts on the forums just as easily as they can a moderator's.

If you want to see a newsletter, then I recommending that you create a forum topic and post a newsletter! I can't feature artwork on the site, so I've used my own profile as a means to feature daily and monthly artwork that I feel stands out. We don't need officers to host contests, recognize great artwork, or report on news; we can do it! And as WE, the users, bring the activity back to the site, maybe the site itself will BECOME more active.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. I whole heartedly agree with all you say [although I'm an idiot and probably don't know how to customize anything on my profile]

however. I would still like to see the front gate of our community looking new and clean and shiny and up to date, representing what is found within. It's true we shouldn't jsudge a book by it's cover, but that phrase only became a cliche because so often people DO jsudge by the first things they see. Also, I look at the front page often, and I would like to see new stuff, i get sick of the images that are still featured from before I even joined the site. and news from a long gone time from people who were no longer around when I joined. I used to write all the news on storm, pretty much, so I notice news being old and needing updated, and it frustrates me that I can't [on storm anyone could submit a news, and the admins would review it and post if it was appropriate]

so I'm gonna keep mentioning it now and then, but in the meantime, I do what I can do. post art, make comments participate in your contest, later make my own contest, draw requests, make up new forum games etc...
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jadis"][on storm anyone could submit a news, and the admins would review it and post if it was appropriate][/quote]

Really, news articles should be just an extension of the journal framework, then we could do stuff like this. The journal system as-is was never really finished....
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, news on there worked a lot like journals, only it posted to the front page and required approval before it posted.

and yep, it does seem journals on here are not fully functioning...so yeah...

but I can always dream, right?
TeeJay87
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those journals don't have possibility for leaving comments.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he DID say they were never finished. The blogs did seem like a bit of an afterthought or something. Well, maybe with some effort, we can get more people to start checking out the forums again. They've been pretty dead, so a lot of people have slipped out of the habit.

Just like when I started here, people used their profile pages a lot more to post relevant information, updates, contests, and just to chat in the message log at the bottom. People don't do that nearly as much now just because everyone stopped, but it probably wouldn't take much effort to get people to start looking again.
TeeJay87
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="K_Pepper"] People don't do that nearly as much now just because everyone stopped, but it probably wouldn't take much effort to get people to start looking again.[/quote]

I think there's already visible progress, since at least 6 users here are more or less regularly using this forum:
- you
- me
- Stratadrake
- Morpher
- Jadis
- Firiel

Indeed, it's not as much as on for example deviantART, but at least here are reasonable people to exchange thoughts and ideas with.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like DA and I do consider it my main art site, but I am not even remotely involved in the community there. I think I've posted on the forums all of twice in the ten years I've been a member.

I'd have been posting on the forums sooner, but it took Morpher's help to fix the bug that was keeping me from accessing them. I definitely hope to see an increase in forum activity here, though; admittedly, I'm not much for forum games, but I definitely like to get involved in discussion.
TeeJay87
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="K_Pepper"]Yeah, I like DA and I do consider it my main art site, but I am not even remotely involved in the community there. I think I've posted on the forums all of twice in the ten years I've been a member. [/quote]

DA used to be quite nice place until 2012, when admins took side of cyberbullies and performed purges aimed at decent people. Many of regular folks have been bullied out from silly reasons - this picture http://nylten.deviantart.com/art/What-Has-dA-Become-509915416?offset=0#comments describes the policy well.

[quote="K_Pepper"]I'd have been posting on the forums sooner, but it took Morpher's help to fix the bug that was keeping me from accessing them. I definitely hope to see an increase in forum activity here, though; admittedly, I'm not much for forum games, but I definitely like to get involved in discussion.[/quote]

Let's give some time to develop this community, such structures aren't built rapidly. When I joined FAC in 2014, this forum seemed abandoned. After 2 years, I can tell there's visible progress in activity.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAC has actually had it's heyday already, before either of us ever joined; that's not to say that it can't be popular and active again, but I certainly hope it doesn't end up as notorious. It already has a pretty extensive Encyclopedia Dramatica entry!

For all of people's gripes on DA, I've never really had any trouble with it. Probably because I mind my own business up there. I have my nose in everything over here. <.<
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any trouble with DA either, I take the "community within a community" approach, I build my own personal community and rarely interact with anyone outside of it. I'll occasionally explore a form there, but I don't consider that community, that's an excursion outside my DA community. I'm hard to offend, and if people find me offensive, I stay away from them so as not to bother them mostly,

I get the impression FAC has gone through several stages of life. Personally I feel the community we are about to become is something much greater than what you call the heyday. I'm glad the heyday is over so we can start building something really good here.

...if the powers that be will just keep the site alive, and not shut it down like Storm and Sheezy....
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as there's still life in the site, we'll be alright. It helps that I think there's a few more adult members who are active now, and generally, adults are more stable members and a bit less subject to schoolwork, changes in interest, leaving to go to college, starting jobs, etc.

I'll admit that I do tend to get more feedback on my art on DA, but that's probably thinks to the ability to create and join groups, so the art I'm submitting is going directly to the people who share that interest. I'd love to see groups like that put into play here, but there would be no point until we have enough activity that recent submissions don't take three days to be pushed off the front page. =/ At this point, I find it extremely easy to, if I'm so inclined, comment on every single thing that comes through this site and barely take ten minutes out of my day to do so.
Jadis
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is what I love about this site. it is possible for me to look at everything and comment on everything, not that I do but I like to have that option.

yeah, I'd been wishing we had groups here, but you have a point that we don't need it yet.

so...powers that be.... if you see this...we need Journals which can be commented on and news posts on the front page which can be submitted by at least some of the general membership. I wouldn't make it open to everyone like Storm, but to anyone who has been around and fully active a year or so without causing trouble and who applies for the privilege. that would make community projects and contests more accessible.

What I loved most about Storm when it was fully functioning, was that the powers that be were active participating members of the community who were friendly and easy to talk to and submitting art just like the rest of us, I"m not expecting that here. the site owner seems to like to be a mystery, not to lead by example.
TeeJay87
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="K_Pepper"]FAC has actually had it's heyday already, before either of us ever joined; that's not to say that it can't be popular and active again, but I certainly hope it doesn't end up as notorious. It already has a pretty extensive Encyclopedia Dramatica entry! [/quote]

While DeviantART got its own portal on the same ED, apart from more extensive page than entry about FAC.

[quote="K_Pepper"]For all of people's gripes on DA, I've never really had any trouble with it. Probably because I mind my own business up there. I have my nose in everything over here. <.< [/quote]

Or perhaps you've had luck, that trouble-makers avoid you. Most of users I've seen on dA did experience cyberbullying, often on severe scale.

Guess it's just a matter of tolerance towards human stupidity - in my homeland, childish behavior such as harassing individuals or supporting toxic ideologies isn't as much accepted by society as in the West.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: