Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I came here from DA, did you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlcyoneSong
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: I came here from DA, did you? Reply with quote

In light of what DeviantART has been doing or rather not doing with their user base. I've started to use this site after a friend referred it to me. So far, it has been a nice experience. I'm getting comments on my work which is always a plus, but it's quite nice to see the community here is friendly too. I think I'll be sticking around more. Smile

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Question
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't exactly "come from" DA, so to speak- I never left it, but I do tend to join multiple art communities. It's nice to give my art more exposure, especially since I sell commissions from time to time. (This isn't the site for that, though.)

The community here IS really friendly, partially because it's so small so there are no strangers. Very Happy
AlcyoneSong
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't left DA officially, but I am looking once my subscription expires or if the company gets sold off. I read a rumor that Facebook was looking at buying DA so it's just a matter of time. Confused
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I went the other direction. This is my homeplace art-site wise, and DA is my secondary - although I've become fairly active there since finding a couple of groups I like. I know they have their weaknesses, but just from the sheer size of 'em there's a lot of good variety toi be found, so i figure I'll sail on both ships as long as I can.

I've also got accounts on Elfwood (used to have a better comment system but overly-strict moderation, relaxed the moderation but screwed up their comment system for the site reboot), Paperdemon (Small community right now, has some activity on the writing as well as the art side, uses rank points to encourage community participation, NSFW affiliated portal site to keep it off the main page), and FurAffinity (which I don't really use, as I don't think many of my works "count" for their categories).
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have an account on Furaffinity, but I really don't belong up there. I don't have a problem with the art, but I'm not really into furry stuff, and I only tend to draw it if it's a gift or a commission.

I'm not familiar with those other two sites you mentioned. Do you think either of them are worth checking out at this point? DA is my home, but I like spreading out and meeting people.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elfwood's got a lot of talented people, but the social interface is completely shot - you can fave stuff and leave comments but that's about it, no forum, no direct replies (although if the artist wants to post a separate non-reply comment and hope you come back to see it they can). Fantasy/scifi primary focus, and the mods used to be really finicky about art that looked too close to a copywritten reference, so screencap redraws and such might still be out. There's a cap on how many art uploads you can have in your gallery at once if you aren't a paying member but I haven't hit it yet.

Paperdemon has a better user interface - forums which still get some activity, comment and reply notifications, separate front page portals for the latest art, writing, and comic contributions - it's a little quiet but I think it has a lot of potential.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to go and check them both out. Since I tend to draw images from my own head, I'm not too worried about the overly-moderated submissions. It sucks about the comment replies, though. I don't tend to like to flood my art all at once- usually just one or two a day if I'm trying to upload old stuff to catch up, so I don't think I'll have a problem with that, either.

That little quiet community sounds nice. DA is great to get a lot of attention and feedback, but it's harder to feel legitimately like part of the community. I have some very cool friends up there, but we mostly just note each other back and forth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: