Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Deviant Art
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raccoonlady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SweetxinsanityxSarah"]True true...but the fact is it's better to be rid of them, then just sit around and let them take a huge dump on the forums.

Trust me...we were better off without that moronic idiot that kept ban dodging soo much that Denis had to step in. >> i'd sooner watch a Twilight Marathon then listen to his 'wisdom'[/quote]

I sat through a hole twilight movie.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You poor thing ;-;
unfocused

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a few nice people on dA, and a few very entitled brats. It's easy to find the nice people, though.

Conclusion- it's not much different than my experience on FAC.

I did however find a small group of great friends here that, even after a decade, I still keep in touch with. I never found anything close to that on dA.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DA disappoints me with it's laziness to the point they have to make art alert groups to slap DA upside the head.

Like one guy who was in his fifties and did nothing but put up pictures of him yankin it. -diez inside-

And the new tag feature...SO FRIGGIN RETARDED! Dx it's DA not friggin twitter!

That's one thing I like about this site, it does not sell it's soul to the big cooperate companies and tries to compete with the social media pages..it's it's OWN art site. Like "yeah im here and im oldschool, deal with it that you cant hashtag biatches." <3

I met many idiots on DA which i stayed far away from (But kicked em off DA because no one wants to see self mutilation, yankin it, and troll death threats)

One group of clusterfookers that hate everyone but their art...i still think it's all one person.

But I have met some very good people on there as well. One's a spunky Tokyo ghoul fan, another is a group of ask artists that are very sweet and know how to make amazing MMD editing, and another knows her way around rigging a model or two and is a big grimmjow fangirl. And of course a few epic castlevania nerds here and there. x3

One though I met..he's somewhat a friend...but he's killed Vocaloid for me. He flipped out at the fact I didnt like his one slutty dark horse miku video (I'm a chick, im not interested in seeing a close up cam of her taco!) but I put him in his place very quickly. Still he seems distant nowadays which pisses me off. Oh sure, he's allowed to make fun of the stuff I LIKE yet I cant say a damn friggin thing about his precious lil vocaloid fetish?! Ugh...Rolling Eyes
Not to mention his 'love' of gays and lesbians..yeah I have to keep my mouth shut very tightly when he rants about them. He's just lucky he is not around my bi or gay friends...they'd put him through the grinder.

There is a few good people I know here...but one that stands above the rest here that I keep in touch with the most is Lackadaisydragon. Guys an epic wit and will keep you laughing for hours, and his intellect is quite amazing too.

Setz, velasgirl, lucky, and ami are a few other good chaps on here too of course. n.n (kaden you dont count as meeting on here, I met you on yahoo chat..when it still existed! xD)

(Hey setz, gimmie your FB name NAOOOO.)
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DA has its ups and downs. I know there is a lot of crap there, and that they are pretty corporate, but I like the response times for faves/comments on some of the stuff I've posted up, and the number of interest groups available to join... Pretty much every fandom or medium you can think of has at least one club that users can join to hang out with folks who like the same stuff. It can be a messy and overwhelming place, and maybe I only still enjoy it because I haven't offended any of the wrong people yet, but it can be useful in its place. What we've got here, though - a friendly community where everybody has a chance to get to know everybody if they wanted to, and where there aren't random banner ads and popups and crap running wild - there's got to be a way to feed more attention into that kind of site, keep it healthy, while coexisting with the more fast-paced monster edition of art website.
TeeJay87
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you, who still have active deviantART accounts, may find this journal entry interesting http://generaltate.deviantart.com/journal/URGENT-dA-Staff-Member-Company-Going-Broke-615461142?src=MC_deviation_stack

It seems dA is having serious trouble as company.
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm. I'll buy that DA is having it rough - they've started specifically putting up a pop-up notice to ask you to turn off your ad-block because They Need The Money. I'll also buy that alternatives would be nice, and so would a change in management, if we want to see things look up. But I'm not so much interested in the recommendation for an alternative place to move the poster in question was suggesting - seems pretty political, and that's not my scene. I just want to be able to chill and enjoy my fandom stuff on art sites... get too much of online political soapboxes as it is.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the rampant DA hatred on this site is part of what chased me off.

What people don't seem to realize is that, though technically there are more jerks on DA, there are technically more awesome people, too. You can't look at numbers; you look at percentages. There are so many people on that site, of course there's going to be more negative if you look for it.

And yet, in the course of two months, I've put together a fan community for a little-known and under-appreciated fandom that nobody on this site has ever even heard of. If you take the time, it's so easy to reach out and make friends with people with common interests, and it's so easy to just avoid talking to the asshats.

Sad to say, but this site doesn't offer much of that to me. I don't have trouble with people on DA because I have the good sense not to cause or join in drama- and there has certainly been drama on FAC, too. It's taken care of more quickly because there is so little posted here in one day, it's easier to keep up with.

As for DA's plea for people to turn off adblocker on their site, I'll do THAT when their adds stop trying to send malware to my computer. T_T Seriously, don't ever go to DA without active virus protection. That's the site's biggest failing, IMHO.

Also, Firiel, what's your name on DA? I'd like to add you there. :3
Firiel
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I didn't even know their ads were malware-bait. I just find them visually obnoxious and they seem to slow down my computer extra if I'm multitasking in some way, such as listening to music while I update myself on art. 0.o

Firiel-archer. And thanks! ^_^
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I leave them on, AVAST is screaming every five minutes that something malicious is trying to download. :x
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered one of those redirect-ads on dA while browsing one of the journals related to this post.

If dA is succumbing to corporatism, that's a shame.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
AlcyoneSong
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually came here from DA..

DeviantART isn't bad if you are a subscriber, but their latest trick of posting a big obnoxious request to turn off ad-blockers is pushing it for non-subscribers.

People have resorted to using ad-blockers because DA won't check out the advertisers, and the ads that have been showing up are large pop up windows that have hidden or small close buttons, or ones that have been corrupted by viruses.

Furthermore, DA fired about half of their staff, and the CEO decided to post a status update about having a beer at an expensive hotel downtown in LA. Inappropriate much? This isn't the first time DA admins and the CEO has done something like this. I know it won't be the last, but for now I'm officially looking for somewhere else besides my Tumblr to post my art. I don't feel like supporting a company that has so little regard for their staff or has such a callous CEO who is oblivious to the problems going on because he is blinded by his ego. Sad

@ KPepper

I agree with you that DA has gotten so large as a community it is easier to connect to people who like little known fandoms. I run a "group" for fans of Johan and Peewit from the Smurfs and from the older Belgium comics of the same name.

I don't hate DA as much as I am disappointed in how it is being run. I love DeviantART it is a fantastic site where artists can meet and share ideas, it was at one time a sort of middle man that enabled artists to share portfolio ideas and even showcase their work to large corporations like Dreamworks and Disney if they could not make Portfolio days at ComicCon San Diego.

DA has done so much good for the independent artist and student, and it is very discouraging to see that it has dropped the ball and is not doing a good job with quality control. Although, in hindsight, this has been an ongoing problem with DA from the beginning. They've gotten better, but I think it's an exponential problem that grows because the user base has grown.

Last edited by AlcyoneSong on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame that Sheezy closed down. I enjoyed that community. It was a nice option for those who weren't crazy about DA.

I am a non-subscriber to DA, and I'm still okay with it, though that popup is a little annoying, and I doubt it's going to make anyone turn off their add-blocker anyway.
AlcyoneSong
Newb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was part of Sheezy art, but I didn't like the layout and upload interface. It wasn't very user friendly IMHO.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't so much, but the community was nice, and the fact that it had groups a clubs was a nice bonus.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still abit disappointed in how long it takes them to reply to threats users are making against each other and 'what they would do to this user' etc. -eyeroll-

other than that, i am learning to forgive DA slowly. Just needs to pick up it's pace abit with handling the raging lunatics with a crazy bloodlust that rival's sasuke's when he's approaching danzo.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, DA can be pretty slow sometimes- I submitted a request to close a club of mine like a week ago and still haven't gotten the response, and that's just a routine thing.

As for threats and reports, in the past I haven't had too much trouble with the amount of time it takes them, but they don't always deal with it well. Problem with having a site that big, I guess.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to put battou and strata in charge of 'idiot control' over there..they'd get the job done x3
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Battou even still around? I haven't seen a trace of him in years.
SweetxinsanityxSarah
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i was wondering that myself. Hope he's doing ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: