Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search Engine Improvments

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search engine has gotten some improvements recently
* Results broken into multiple pages
* Running off its own server so should now be faster
* Searches are now sorted by relevance
* Supports boolean searches (+ to force a word - to exclude one, double quotes for exact phrase match) However when using boolean operators in searches they are not sorted by relevance.
* Story searches now respect the title/description/keywords options.

More advanced search options coming soon.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examples of search syntax.

The default search will find pictures/stories with ANY of the search terms in it (results containing more/all of the search terms will be listed first). A search for 'Axl Rose', for example, will return pictures containing the word "Axl" OR the word "Rose". So in addition to a relatively few pictures of the GnR singer, you'll also get a lot of pictures of a certain flower, and pictures of a certain Sonic character.

Enclose a search query (or part of one) to do an exact phrase search. So, again, if you're looking for Axl Rose pics, type "Axl Rose" (with quotes) pics.

The + operator restricts/refines the search to only those matches which contain the word/phrase following it, if the picture/story does not contain the word it will not be listed. You can use this multiple times to do a search for pictures containing ALL of a search term (even if not in that order).

For example: "+Demon +Inuyasha" will do a search for pictures containing BOTH the word Demon AND the word Inuyasha, regardless of where those words appear in the title, description, or keywords. You'll get not only pictures of Inuyasha in his full-demon mode, but also some pictures of Inuyasha fighting demons, Inuyasha (in his normal form) described as a "half-demon", and so on.

You can also use the + operator to search for pictures of couples/pairings. (e.g. "+Cloud +Aeris")

The - operator restricts/refines a search by excluding pictures containing the word/phrase that follows it.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Papercut_Dragon
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do words that you type into the "Keyword" section when submitting a picture count? Like, if you put the word "horse" in the keyword section and nowhere else will that picture show up when you search the word "horse"?
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that is what they are used for.
unfocused

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thank you so much. The other search engine was fine for me though, I just didn't think it had enough options to search with (picture name, description, keyword, all) I always wanted 'artists name' there aswell, because I search alot for artists galleries that I know.
Kerushi
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does the new search engine not go through the newert pictures posted?

For instance, I the catergory is "ALL" and I type in "Jakotsu" it doesn't come up with the newest pictures of that character, like the recent ones by DarkVampyress.

Maybe there is still some sort of bug with the search?

It doesn't work too well for any of the categories, often leaving more recent things out, which its mostly what I beleive many people look for anyway...
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

search engine pulls data off another server and the replication seems to have stalled. I'll look into it and get it up to date.

[Edit: ok, its catching up now]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: