Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Quality Control
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamem0tionless
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will soon be enforcing quality control. Here are some guidelines:

1. When it comes to MS Paint, Oekakis, or anything of that sort, you MUST put some effort into the picture. if you just put up some quick drawing such as this, it probably won't be accepted. If you put up something like this, you will have a MUCH better chance of having your art accepted. No, this is not about skill. Even someone with a low level of skill would be able to do a really nice picture like this if they put the effort into it.

2. Lined paper drawings WILL be accepted, but they must be well draw, easy to see, and not one of those two minute doodles you did in class. For example: "Oh lookie, I drew an eye, isn't it cute!" Those sort of things will not be accepted.

3. If you color your drawing with crayons, colored pencils, or any other medium, please make sure we can see your picture. If we can't tell what it is due to bad coloring, we may not accept it. What's the point of posting something you can barely see?

4. If you're drawing a well known character that is not your own, make sure you can tell who the character is. What's the point in posting fanart if it doesn't even look like the character?

5. About your descriptions of your pictures, use them to describe your pictures, what motivated you to draw them, but do NOT write about how you're leaving the site. Please don't use the description space to explain what a horrible life you have, blah blah. We have online journals and forums for that. Sympathy pictures, more than likely, will not be accepted. Yes, sad pictures will be accepted, just not ones such as "I am leaving FAC and not coming back because you're all MEAN *cries*".

6. No overly large pictures. (I'll get the size for this soon, I think we have it on another thread somewhere.)

That's all for now. I'll add more as I get suggestions that shall fit in. This will be started as soon as Denis is ready for it to. Feel free to post suggestions on what other rules for quality control we should have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*scratches off the entire anime category as something she can approve* Nope.

I certainly won't miss the doodles, though. The size isn't definite, but no bigger than 600 pixels is good for those using 800x600 (such as myself).
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: these were meant to be suggest guidelines. They are open to discussion and feedback at the moment.

Depending on the response to thie i'll come up with a final set of qualty rules which wil start being enforced.

Regarding the size, about 600px wide is the number I've selected to accominadate 800x600 users. Tho I didn't think there were actually people who still used less than 1024x768, espically artists. (I used 1280x1024 so I dont notice ones less than about 800px as much)
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-digital artists don't give a crap about monitor settings. At least I don't. And I like it like this. Razz
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the quality control is a good idea, and those sound like perfectly reasonable guidelines. um will the size limit still be 300 kb? (i think that's it, anyway).

lol yea i'm not even sure what you guys mean about the difference b/t using 800x600 or 1024x768, so i agree with you fallen.
layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joy for quality control!!!!
AngelRaye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have nothing to do with quality but how about edited pictures? I mean that's not really the artist's work but just editing an already existing picture. I use to edit pics for my site because I didn't have a scanner and it was before I found tutorials to help me draw anime so I don't condemn people who do edit. I just don't think it should be passed off as someone's art when it isn't.
Lexar
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea! Are you guys also going to delete low-effort pictures that already have been posted? That would be even better, though I'm not sure everyone would be as pleased with that idea as I am.
I'm afraid the approval queue might become slower, because you will also have to check the messages and quality, but I can live with that too.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelRaye, edited pictures are already not permitted more or less (see rules)

Lexar, I may purge all pics marked as 'quick sketck', however I got alot of upset people least time I did that so I may not and probebly wont do anything more than that.
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...i think all of my pics are marked as "quick sketch." heh. oops. when i first saw that option i always took it as something that was either sketched or something that was coloured or inked. and since all of my work is in pencil, i just got used to keeping it as a quick sketch and never really thought about it. i can go back and edit that tho, rite?
kathyhime85
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of quality control. Then maybe I wont be forced into putting things like this that my friends likebut I think can be better. Razz
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o wait... scratch that last post i made. i just read the "details/explanation" thing about quick sketch vs high quality finished work. er a little late, i know, but now i can go and edit all my pics so they wont be quick sketch anymore
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this up for discussion then is it? That's good. Now shall i begin?

Lined drawings as far as i'm concerned, should NOT be approved for several valid reasons.

1) Half the lined drawings are the doodles kids do in their math class while bored.

2) The lines distract the viewers attention from the actually drawing itself.

3) Makes it harder to notice the finer details of a drawing, in the few that are actually drawn well, and with detail.

4) Can make it difficult to notice the distrotion (i hope i spelled that right) or change in size of the drawing unless the drawing itself is just plain flat and up front.

5) It's plain lazy.

6) It makes it look like the artist doesn't really put that much effort into it, whether it's good skill or not, if it's just left on lined paper.

7) Makes one think that artist doesn't care to much about how their art looks with the lines going through it, behind it, etc etc.

8) It's not freakin brain surgery to simply take the drawing on the lined paper, put it behind/under a PLAIN sheet of paper, and transfer the drawing.

9) THAT *points to number 8* is NOT stealing art, you drew (unless you really didn't but why in the world someone would steal a drawing on line paper is beyond me) your just transfering it to a plain piece of paper, so it looks better, clearer, more crisp and easier to look at for the viewer. And if you have detail, it makes it A LOT easier to notice it, or any pros or cons of the pics (yes, we all have our cons, no ones perfect, but i also said PROS)

Anyone who argues otherwise doesn't have much to say in my opinion. I'm no idiot, i know damn well it doesn't take much to transfer your damn drawing that you "worked so hard on" onto another piece of paper (plain paper). And yes, i have drawn some rather nice things on lined paper (i never planned on it happening but it did) and you know what, i went home and put it on a piece of plan piece of paper, or more correctly, in my sketch book, which is, TADA, plain sheets, where i wouldn't loose it.

Some of you might say things like "But i don't have a sketch book, but i don't have any plain paper, even printing paper!" Well BooHoo, neither did i for two years and you know what, i got by. There are plenty of ways to get a piece of plain paper people, and it isn't exactly chinese algebra to transfer the damn thing onto the piece of plain paper.

I use to go into school, doodle on lined paper when i could, and if i had something worth showing of (note, worth showing, nothing i did in 5 minutes, like, stick figures T_T ) i'd take an extra piece of paper from my art class to use when i got home or during class when i had the time, or at lunch, etc etc. And you can always find a sheet of paper at your library if you ever go in one (i don't anymore but i did when i was little, and yes, i would get an extra sheet of paper when i could from there too) Take an extra piece from your teachers printer if they have one. Ask a friend if they have any when you see them. I'm sure someone can spare a piece of flippin paper. Hell, i use to collect the stuff.

Once again, It's NOT Brain Surgery. If your to lazy to transfer a drawing you think is good enough to show off, then you might as well not waste my time (in the eye of viewer) in submitting it. It's something i've hated since i was 9 years old and had access to a computer and the internet (yes, nine, i was drawing back then to, etc etc) .

In a more aggressive and no friendly opinion (this is my honest, blunt opinion, with the reasonable and valid reasons or not) It's annoying, time consuming, space wasting, and a pain in my personal ass to have to look at something on lined paper when i could be looking at someones work, who at least cared enough about their damn work whether serious or not, high skilled or the drawing skills of a 3 year old, would think enough to make it look just that much better. Not to mention think about how pissed off people are having to look through pictures all night because everyone and their damn friends submit everything on lined paper.

I don't care if it's good or not. If it's good, i'd love to look at it and give you praise, but i'm to busy starring at the damn lines, they attract attention for one and make the damn drawing even if my miracle hand, look that much less worth wild.

Or is that just to complicated for some people?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Papercut_Dragon
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. I posted a picture on lined paper, and I read Lashers post and decided to redo it on blank, printer paper. I've actually never thought about that . . . .

And yes, I think quality controls are needed. Drawings that take up about 1/16th of the paper should also be rejected.
EccentricSage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas so far! I agree that the percent of the pic taken up by the actual drawing should be taken into acount. Perhaps the rule should be that if there is no background, the drawing wust take up about 50% of the pic or more.

As for the lined paper thing...

I had a funny idea for a series of pics that would use scraps of lined paper for a background. Then the character, perhaps sitting at a school desk, would be drawn and inked on regular paper, cut out, and pasted over the 'scrap paper' background. See, I think art that incorporates other tipes of paper besides blank white should be allowed. So perhaps the rule should be no drawings on lined paper, if a pic incorporates non-white papers however, that may be acsepted.

I think all drawing done directly on lined paper, to where you can see the lines in all the white spaces or through any coloring, should not be allowed though.

Yeah...it's complicated. Sorry. I'm a royal pain, I know. ^^;

Hmmmm... Scan quality should definetly be regulated. Here, let me provide you with an example of horendous scanning.
http://fanart.ctgameinfo.com/pictures.php?pid=31920

Yeah...

1) binding should not be visible in the scan. remove the paper from the binding befor scanning.

2) Make shure the paper is laying flat so that the image comes out crisp, clear, and the right color.

3) Crop the pic befor submiting.

4) If you had to scan it sideways, or you acsidently scanned it upside down, ROTATE it so that the drawing is right side up.

5) If your printer just plain ain't working, don't post it anyways and then whine about your scanner not working. See if a friend or a teacher can help you. You can also get things scanned at Kinkos I think, if you're desperate.

6) If a scan comes out slightly discolored, or with the coloring looking to rough, or the pic just overall too bright, check your scanner setings. If you have acses to an editing program, then learn how to use it to darken/lighten, intensify color/dull color, increase contrast/lower contrast, 'erase' smudges or a drop of coffie that stained it, etc. It's incredibly easy to do with photoshop.

That's my advice on the matter. How much of my advice becomes rules and how much remains advice is up to you. Smile I'd just be glad to weed out the worst scans.

Perhaps a scaning and quality control faq could be put together? I also have simple advice for inking and penciling....what suplies one uses makes a big diference in the quality of the work. Forinstance, Sharpy vs. Sakura Pigma Micron 01, conventional pencil vs. mechanical pencil, pencil shading vs. ebony pencil shading vs. charcoal pencil shading, White out vs. Pro White vs. Typing Corection Film, etc. I think people would be more willing to read through a simple overview faq on the subject than search through tutorials and tips in a forum for hours. Wink I could type up a great deal of tips for the list myself, if you like this idea. I think there's some people who realy are trying, but just have no clue where to start or what to use, and then after many atempts at creating a certain image and it not looking right at all, thinking 'well, I tried, here we go...' When all they neaded to change was what type of pen/pencil they use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kathyhime85
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, exept for the fact that you think that people need to use other supplies. Some people can't afford or simply dont want to but stuff thats more expensive. Even if it looks better, most people draw for fun and I don't think they are willing to spend more to make a pic look better that they just drew for fun.

I agree that pics with no background should at least take up most of the space. Its really annoying when there's a really good pic ut there's no background to put the pic in a place.

I hate bad scanning! i dont scan, but I do use a digital. Its really not that complicated to make the pic darker or lighter.
Papercut_Dragon
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy, the song in your sig is Echo by Trapt. Very Happy
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Scan quality should definetly be regulated."
I agee, but we need a good tutorial/FAQ on the subject. Too many people don't know how to scan well. What you posted is a good start, but more is needed.
kathyhime85
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you papercut dragon!

About the scanning: I use a digital camera and the editing program I use is microsoft photoshop
EccentricSage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I said about the art suplies was that a faq should be put up, not that it should be made a rule. I for one can do some pretty neet stuff with ballpoint pen. Razz lol I'm saying that people could probably realy use a quick list of tips on how to improove the quality of their work.

And actualy, most of what I recomend IS cheap. Sakura pens are usualy only $3.00 each, and can be found on sale at times. That's lunch money, people! lol

Mechanical pencils are pretty cheep, too, depending apon where you buy them and at what quantity. I've seen them sell individualy for about a buck at stores. And lead refils are about the same price. You may even find them cheeper at some places.

White out, Pro White, and Typing Corection Film...these I'm not shure of the price. White out's shure to be the cheapest, but it's the hardest to use without messing up. If you deside to go that rout, test it out befor using it on a good peice of art. Typing Corection Film is great for adding bold highlights to streight lined objects, and goes on nice and smooth. ProWhite is much better in quality than regular white out, but probably costs more. It may be too pasty as is, so water it down a tad in a seperate container if you have to.

Ebony pencils and charcoal pencils shouldn't be more than a couple bucks each, if memory serves corectly.

Black and white art suplies tend to be cheap. It's when you get into colors that you start to pay an arm and a leg. But when used well, cheep colored pencils and cheep markers can look pretty damn good. Even crayons can be used to add a bold rough texture. Wink I plan on doing some tutorials on this subject.

Anywho...

Unfortunately I can only provide the bare basics for a scan faq myself. I'm not good at technical stuff. When I scaned at JJC for the first time, I just played with settings and with Photoshop until the image finaly looked right. lol I can at least explain how a person who doesn't have photoshop or any simular program can use paint to crop, scale, and rotate a picture, and how to touch up the background in paint. Pretty basic. Yeah...I just improvise. ^^;

I'm shure there are others on here who understand scanners and photoshop better who can help with this, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: