Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
[closed] Cover for a book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

february 19, 2007

that was the deadline from the get go... i'll allow 2 entries per person for each cover... that way i'm only judging one set... any artform is usable but preferably paint... any form. i really am not a fan of cg but you can try one and let me look at it... i may change my mind Very Happy
marc21
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea i went back to see the pictures you drew as references, but it doesnt seem to show on the page. would be great if you can post them again, like the gunblade for example. otherwise i'll use my artistic license to add the details in Razz
enkeli_kitten
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions,
Is the scar in my earlier picture in the right place?
And, is my art good enough for you to consider? Or I won't bother drawing all those covers, as it's gonna take a long time!!! ^_~
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes enkeli your scar is in the right place. These three pictures are the money makers. it's up to you to decide if you wish to draw them. Your drawing is decent, i'll give you that
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually marc those pictures were drawn on my laptop however there's a deviant art link about halfway down on page 6... posted by you actually... it's the best i've seen of someone try to redraw the gunblade.
marc21
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've completed Book 1's design in CG. Since you're not a big fan of it can I just show it to you first before doing the rest? Wouldnt wanna waste time doing the other 2 if CG's not good enough...
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea send it to me
marc21
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright this is book 1 so far. I'll polish it more and tweak the text as you want it before sending it over after the deadline.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42585364/

Gotta have more info to do book 2 and 3 if you want me to continue
AngelusMortis
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, something I can relate to. Realism.

I'd love to do this, but I better find time for this.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with traditional mediums, so it will probably look something like the Sephiroth walpaper I have in my gallery.
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc... i'm... wow

i am at a loss for words

I even like the text you used. One thing. Replace Emrys with JMWGrimes and you're good Razz

i mean wow. That's amazing... i wanna buy that book. When's it coming out?
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Emrys"]Final Entries: This is to be done in full color and paint. you can submit up to 3 of each cover but no more than that. I'm going to warn you. These are going to take a while.

Book 1. This will be fairly simple. The background layout is a bed of stars with jovarake's gunblade in the center. Faded into the stars is Young Jovarake's face. read book one description for clarification.

Book 2. The front cover is more of a collage of the characters in fighting poses. Each covered in speckled blood of green and red. (Don't go overboard with it lol) Center i would like Jovarake. Somewhere on the page i'd like the mutant i described. Amanda will be behind Jovarake. A young police Lieutenant named Roane Isly will be holding a (what looks like a shotgun) (guess i'll have to describe him huh?) And a Police Captain from the same planet named Charles Wester will also be on the cover with a cigarette in his mouth. I'll describe him too.

At the very bottom of that page i would like you to fade in a gruesomely depicted scene of undead humans walking.

Book 3. Jovarake standing on the right, gunblade drawn, facing away from Samatha on the left, her sword drawn. (don't forget the scar!!! Scar was earned in book 1) In the middle i want you to fade in a picture of X to the background. You are free to pick your own background here but a background that fits a futuristic world would be more suitable, considering Jovarake's home planet is the setting and plot for the book. However you are able to use streets that fit book 2's setting. Or pick your own background...

Any questions?[/quote]

Charles Wester - In the center of the room stood one man with a black uniform on. Dried blood crusted the two bars on his left shoulder. His blonde hair was in disarray, his cheeks showed several days worth of not shaving, but a full auburn goatee dominated his features. On his belt hung a pair of pistols and a few knives that Mitch thought would be excellent for throwing.
(think cocky middle aged man. He's been through hell and his whole city is ruins. Undeads are running rampid in his city and his police unit is in uniform. Now add with that the attitude of been-there-done-that and a half wild glare in his blue eyes.
Roane Isly - not alot on him because i need to edit my book again. Think this, younger lieutenant. About 21 or so. He's a bit nerdy looking. Brown hair. Same uniform as Charles wester. Think of a police uniform. He carries what would look to us like a shotgun. However it is much more primitive than even the rough design of the gunblad that's drawn. It'd fit our weapons of the present.
Amanda - short very thin woman. Bright red hair. This is the one with the trident.
Jova'rake - in this picture, you'll be putting Jova'rake heavily armed. You should already know he's got the mustache still and his braid. You'll be doing a full body so here's his armament

Jova'rake stepped into his quarters, changed into black pants and a sleeveless black shirt, then grabbed his weapons. He strapped an automatic laser rifle to his right lower leg and his twin laser pistols to his lower thights. He then put on four shoulder houlsters and straped the smaller plasma pistols in them. He attached his plasma staff to the left side of his belt and put an ammunition belt over his shoulders. He grabbed his gunblade and a plasma based assault rifle, and he headed for the door.

Feel free to design the weapons to your own liking. I have no drawings to go on so baggy the pants up a bit. Think carpernter pants, just black.

these three you can put in a combat pose. I'd suggest Roane on one knee aiming his shotgun. The other three behind him, posed for combat. That plasma staff you heard of is basically like a darth maul type thing with the same energy blades as his gunblade. For this one, you can do blades ignited.
marc21
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright ive got roane and charles' designs down. can you specify more which characters are gonna be included in book 3? is it only the mutant, jova'rake, charles, roane and amanda, or is it the three you described?
AngelusMortis
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my attempt at Jova'rake. If you would like a full body sketch as well, please let me know. Criticism also openly accepted.

http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-537630.html
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pencil realism... looks exactly like jova'rake

alright do what you can in the aloted time... february is almost upon us
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc21 wrote:
alright ive got roane and charles' designs down. can you specify more which characters are gonna be included in book 3? is it only the mutant, jova'rake, charles, roane and amanda, or is it the three you described?

basis of the story line in book 3 is of those three characters..

basically jova'rake has been fired... after the second book alot of crap happened and he basically quit... well something from the past came back and chance brings him back into the picture and he knows just what to do... him and matthew go on a quest to save the planet but in the process break alot of laws, making jova'rake an outlaw. He's hunted by two main people. Samatha is sent by the wizard council. X is hired by the government. Then the story starts taking twists based on how those characters used to know him. It's a catching twist to conbine books one and two.
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O_O

Oh damn I've got a lot to catch up on!
What with health issues, family issues, moving, college, and FAC changing, I completely forgot about this!! I especially forgot how soon it was coming up!! Damn looks like marc's got the lead on this one haha. Everything looks amazing.

Well looks like I've got about a month to do what I should have been working on for the past year. Time to dig out my old sketches and stuff. Maybe I'll get to work on Samatha/Jov to get back into the groove of things.

note to everyone here- not a single picture did I study in detail (just glanced) so when I draw my stuff if they look really similar its just by chance, I pruposfully didn't look too hard so that I wouldn't be overly influenced.

[edit] Ok well its 4am now and I'm about to fall asleep at my desk so here's some quickie concepty stuff I made of the fight scene. Note how Jova'rake's eyes are emulating my exhaustion. S'what I get for using such a small canvas, barley any pixels to work with. All my practice stuff I'll do on tablet then once I do the final covers I'll probably do my sketched/colored over with PS style you've seen a lot (Like the Furi Kuri picture in my gallery). My dorm = no space so bringing my paints up there for this would probably result in a picture no where near what it should have been. I've got prismas which done right can get a pretty close equivalent, though so we'll see what turns up.

Oh, and those pictures you wanted? I'm too lazy to email but I've got them on Photobucket so just look at the folder this picture's under for the rest. I've got all the different descriptions up until I stopped posting organized by character, too if you want those .doc files.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/GollumDragon/Art/Gunblade/SamathaVJov2copy.jpg

['nother edit]Hey Emrys, on one of the descriptions you said you had the drawn version of the gunblade but would like to see us draw it ourselves, too. Well this past semester at college I took a science in science ficiton course so now everything I see in any movie/book I end up thinking way too far into, and the gunblade after much looking at (as I was drawing it based off of your desc + picture) seemed a little awkward to handle as a one-handed weapon (which is how I understood it to be used). Maybe since he made it so young you did that on purpose but I started fiddling with it and ended up with a gun thats still recognizable as the gunblade and still would work the same way, its just shorter so its easier for one-handed use. It resmbles a contemporary gun more so though, so I'm not sure if you'll like it. If not I'll go back to the original gun. If you DO like it I'll work on a better image of it than the little squiggle sketches.

This was what I got drawing the gun like in your sketches
This is the other idea (pre-fixing up)
This is the other idea after being plated, wires covered, gold/jewels added, etc)

Aaand...here's Amanda. As you can see since I'm trying to get all the people done I'm mainly focusing on the face, the uniforms I'm not having the patience to do at the moment lol.
Amanda "Blades" Christian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AngelusMortis
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my version of Book 1. It's in the original size, so you'll see that I decided not to upload it here yet. If you want them in different dimensions, I can crop the sides for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/btl/Jovarake.jpg
marc21
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got the unfinished version of book 2 here. Background's still pending if you feel like i should change... also i hope i got the colours right.

http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-543029.html

right then lemme know! hope i got time for book 3...
marc21
Newb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much done with book 2. here's the preview:
http://www.fanart-central.net/pic-544311.html
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again Marc you put me at a loss of words. that is an awesome picture. Now trying to hit every one across the board you're all doing a good job. The contest is almost up though, however i may enlengthen the deadline. I seriously have to get back into the groove of getting my books pushed through to edit but remember, entering this contest means you'll have to give me your address if i select your artwork as a winner.

Again, just keep adding the drawings.

(gollum hun, It's a two handed weapon that's why i shaped it the way i did. Now as he got older, he began to use it more and more as a one handed weapon because of the thinness of the back end of the handle could actually be held with just one hand, but he used it as just a two handed weapon as he'd designed it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: