Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
[closed] Cover for a book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PunchenAngel666
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh think ill try this contest. i wasnt quiet too happy with the way the judges on the last contest i enter so ive been in a hate mode for stupid 'draw my character contest' but this is a little different in a way i like cuz i love drawing cover its like my favorite thing to do for book of twisted arts. n e who im definatly gonna try this.
If every artist's sketch book was an actual place for your drawings to live, they say that my sketch book would be a horrible twisted place where sin runs wild, pervertion around every corner,gorie blood beneath your feet,and the occasional wickedly cute chibi . i think thats cute of them to say that. Click here to see what they mean.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to have you onboard punchenangel

Let me clarify this better. I may have not been clear. I have 23 characters. However, i'll only post a few at a time. Then i want to see some artwork. Doesn't have to be the best stuff just some ballpark sketches. I'll tell you what i think so that you can improve them. Post again. Improve it more. Then i'll start taking it as actual entries, judged not on how the characters look but what i can see of the skill in your drawings. If i don't like how a character looks but your art is awesome, i'll try and describe the character better for you to fix it. But i won't elimate you for that. I'm not too picky I'm just trying to get some artwork started which is why i gave you the descriptions of a few characters so that you could get started. I know school is coming up for alot of people and school is the best time I did art. Cuz long lectures on science or history are bo-ring...

It's like a post a pic... i'll tell you if it's close to the image in my mind. and then draw again... post a pic... i'll tell you what i think of your artwork... post another pic... or another of another angle... or several of that character... and i'll judge you for those.

Akidaz: My world. NO YOU CAN'T COME!
Emrys: but?
Akidaz: Okay, you can, but NO ONE ELSE!
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..... clear this for me..

23+ sketches, people do it, you pic the good artists who you want to see the final works of,

3 good quality pictures that actually gets handed in and judged on?
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

precisely. The reason is two-fold. If i gave you the final pictures to start on now. you wouldn't know what the characters looked like.. and i would feel partial to judge the winner on the closest representation to the person in my mind. This way, you get to see what the characters look like so that it's not so hard to judge when doing the final pictures. That way some of the better artists that couldn't get a good representation of my characters can do the final art right...

I'll only be eliminating on skill not false representations. So if you do your best. you're sure to have a chance. Just try. Smile

Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so we have about 550 days, that would mean 1 1/2 years of more highschool, sure, I'll get better at figures.
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could look at it that way... or you could look at it as, I'm very active and excited now. The more pictures you do now... The better chance you have later on :)

But do take your time. As stated there's no rush. Go ahead. Draw and make it pretty.

River_Phoenix
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm i might enter.......... mayyyyyybe..... but i wanna see other ppls works first ^_^ i think i might be too "anime" for this job . . . .
celestina67
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emrys! Lemme see...$300,and the deadline's in 2007. Okay,I'm on! I'll just have to improve and draw them during my coming holidays. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...because I already have two fairly detailed ideas for pictures of X and Jova'rake.....in the case of X...I hope you don't mind not all of his body showing...I really liked the scene I want to draw the exact scene when I come back...so this frigate, is this like the type we know now, a boat, or is this something more sci-fi futuristic, because I'm just going to take a stab at guessing there is stuff that happens in space from the descriptions. And I made a deal with my mom for her to help me out with getting a nice large set of prismas....and by the time the final deadline rolls around I'll be 19 and in college...there should lots of improvement by then considering I look at my pictures from my sophmore year and don't understand how I thought they actually looked like something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, for that kind of money, you'd almost be better off commissioning exactly what you want from a working professional. It is a decent opportunity for most of the people here, but it's also a lot of work and disappointment for all but one, and a huge commitment to stick with a contest for over a year. A commissioned professional will discuss the characters with you, give you sketches, and the exact representation you want, and a far off deadline would be appreciated.

How you get your covers is, of course, entirely up to you, and I wish you all the best in getting a great result, but it seems like a lot of needless hassle for a rather simple outcome. And you're asking a lot of work for only $300, once you include all the sketches and finished pieces.

Why, if you don't mind my curiosity, are you holding such a long running contest instead of commissioning exactly what you want?
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually fallen that's kinda the problem. Professional artwork to get what i want would charge about a grand for the whole covers. I'm pushing the deadline on my books back because i'm deployed overseas and i'm actually thinking about raising the second and third place prizes and moving the 2 and 3 down to 4 and 5 to make it more worthwhile. That way 5 people get payback for their hardwork.

The reason the deadline is so long is because i want the time taken to ensure that the work is done carefully. I arranged it as a contest to add a little fun to it but i also wanted to see if my character descriptions drew a mental picture of the characters i have envisioned. It's kind of like a test/contest. A contest to see who can draw realism the best and a test to see if my word descriptions paint the visual picture i intended. If they don't then i'll go back and edit the books again to get the descriptions better.

Iggy... think cross starwars and startrek... but i have my own technologies designed so it's whatever. Futuristic alienish... so it's strictly your imagination. I could give you descriptions but i don't have my books with me tonight. I think there's a fairly decent scene with X, Brandi, and Jova'rake. I'll tease you guys with it tonight maybe to open the drawing block and give you some action scenes to try and capture Smile

Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact that's what i'll do. (sorry for the double post but i'm too lazy to edit at the moment)

First Place: $300
Second Place: $75
Third Place: $60
First Runner Up: $40
Second Runner Up: $25

Each of those five people will recieve in addition to the money, A signed copy of Gunblade Book One of the Gunblade series, scheduled to be published December 2007. Book 2 and 3 will be released in about six to nine month increments and you will recieve those books as well, signed of course, as they are released. :)

Is that better :)

Remember, notice of entry deadline is 15August2005 so if you really want in this contest, post up here and let me know so i can start building a point system for the contest. Smile

fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. :)

It's true, $300 would probably get you (at best) one book cover from a decently established working pro (along the lines of Kay Allen), but there's a lot that are just getting into the business that will work for much less. It's not exactly fair, and it makes it harder for everyone else to get a fair wage, but they'll do it.

As I said, I wish you all the luck in getting some great results from this contest (are you looking for contestants in any other forums, perhaps some more geared towards the style and subject matter you're looking for?). I just hope it won't go the way of some other long running projects, including FAC Idol, where unforseen events cause people to drop out or no longer be able to participate.

It is a nice prize, though, for this community. Exposure may not mean much to pros or semi-pros, but seeing work in print is certainly appreciated here.

Oh, have you browsed epilogue.net? There's many many artists there who do the style and subject matter you're looking for, and while most are probably still not in price range, they have great examples for people to get ideas of what does and does not make a good realism book cover. Smile
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably allow late entries on that i haven't decided but right now i'm really trying to get people to enter the contest and show what they have to offer. I know there's a long deadline on this and it will take some work to get it going but the reward in my opinion is completely worth it. Specially for alot of amatuers on this site. This would be a really big step to some of you becoming really big having your artwork actually being printed on the cover of everyone of my books :)

I've got some contacts in America nearby to where i live and in some of the bigger bookselling corps that have seen some of my work and are anxiously awaiting this book to get published. I already have a booksigning lined up in New York after the book is published to try and promote the book once it's open season.

I also have friends in Europe that will be helping out by requesting the bookstores there to carry the book as well. This should open the European market where fantasy books are hot right now.

This contest would probably be self rewarding to the winner by putting their art career on the map... I hope well. that is, if it puts my writing career on the map Smile I may be all big dreams and hopes right now... but this is just another step into getting this 4 year project completed

_____
First i'm going to explain the essence of the blade and hope that you can draw it yourself but (see pic) there's a handdrawn depiction of the gunblade © 2002

The blade works by a negative ring of particles that flow from one of the two nozzles on the end. The inner blade is made up of positive particles that are kept in place by the negatives ones... stabilized per se. They're plasma blades. They cut using heat and in a fight the negative ions repel each other. thus, the clashing of sparks. (dunno how the starwars ones work but this is how mine supposedly work

I included alot of details in this picture. Now the clan's seal you can change. Make it up. i never quite specified in the books what it was but when you specify it'll go on the outer hull of the Uncertain © 2002 that's Jova'rake's personal corvette from book 3.

Notice the exposed wires and the poor welding... he was um... 8 when he built this. 14 when he finally finished it. Later he goes back and sands it down. Plates it in platinum... closing in the exposed wires. Then later with an outer layer of gold outlining the seal with small jewels

River_Phoenix
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm do u have a picture that sorta describes this whole, sci fi look that u want? cuz all i'm gettin is star wars ^^
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The object of this contest is to see if i can spark your imagination and inspire your drawing hand with words. The only face i'm really concerned about is Jova'rake's since he's based off of someone i know in real life. If after a few posts, you guys are no where close then i'll post his picture. Other than that the faces for the characters are strictly by your design. I've only posted the details that have to match :)

And as for the technology. I'll give you a snipet from book 3, a chase scene with X and Jova'rake and Brandi and i'll let you try to depict the scene if you must. But i'll have to describe brandi to the best of my ability before hand so in the next post that's what you'll get

Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(from book 3... they just got out of a maximum security holding facility. i won't tell you why... but yeah)

..... A hovercab was waiting for them on the curb as heavy nighttime traffic roared by overhead.

Frank was waiting for Mitch to exit and then spoke first. He said, "Where to, Admiral?"

"We must split up," Mitch replied. "I feel all our lives are in danger. They're are---"

Mitch froze. Suddenly, he felt as if Matthew was in extreme danger.

Just as suddenly, the gunblade was in his right hand and the silver blade snapped to life, snatching a compact plasma blast before it could pass through Matthew's skull. Everyone hit the ground in a panic. Whitney screamed.

Mitch crouched into a defensive postition holding the gunblade in a high guard and began loking around for the next atack.

"I can't protect all of you with my gunblade," Mitch yelled. "Split up and head for the rendezvous!"

Matthew was the first to his feet, draggin Whitney along with him. Frank and Gary headed one direction, while Joni and Joe shot off in another. Damean fled in a full sprint, closely folled by Benjamin, leaving Mitch to protect Brandi. (quick description to follow)

"Worked out nicely, didn't it?" Mitch said sarcastically.

Before she could reply, he grabbed her by the arm and shoved her into the open door of the hovercab.

"Driver, step on it!" Mitch ordered.

The door closed behind Mitch but the hovercar didn't move. The driver just turned and pointed a wicked looking laser pistol at Mitch.

"We have you, now, Mr. White," the driver said. "Drop the gunblade, because someone wants you alive."

Mitch let the disengaged weapon hit the floorboard.

"We have a sniper with a bead on you, Mr. White," the driver told him. His brown eyes jumped from Mitch to brandi and back as he blew a tuff of shaggy brown hair out of his eyes. "I suggest you cooperate."

"Really?" Mitch asked. "Who's driving?"

The brown haired driver looke perlexed. Mitch used the confusion to his advantage and moved his head using his right hand to push the pistol aside.

In Mitche's left hand appeared the compact pistol that he had been concealing. He aimed at the driver and fired three times. The first shot entered into the man's shoulder causing his weapon to go off. The plasma blast from the driver's weapon shatter the window as the last two shots entered the man's body. The second in the center of his chest, whilt the last burned away his noce and into his skull.

Mitch jumped up and shoved his right foot past the dead driver to the accelerator. His right hand pulled the hovercoil release sending the hovercab into the air. Then his right hand grabbed the steering wheel as his foot sent the hovercab into traffic.

Looking at the faceless driver, Mitch said, "You're in my way! Get out!"

He reached across with his left hand and swung the door open and used his left foot to push the body out. Several concentrated beams flashed behind the car as the sniper failed to target the speeding hovercab. Mitch positioned himself in the seat and then reached up to close the door.

From the backseat, Brandi said, "We have company."
"What's it look like?" Mitch asked.
"A motercycle," Brandi said, "that flies."
"What's the driver doing?" Mitch asked.
"He just pulled an extremely long rifle and is pointing it..."
"Get down!" Mitch ordered, diving the hovercar between two others.

Brandi ducked as rapidly fired plasma beams filled the air between the hovercar and the assassin. Mitche weaved through traffic as several of the beams connected with his hovercab. The back window shattered. Several shots burned into the hovercab's permiron rear. One shattered the small light atop the cab. And as Mitch dove in front of another car, a few shots raked the underside causing on of the hovercoils to explode.

"Where are we going?" Brandi asked.

"I'm trying to make it to the 'gourge,'" Mitch replied. "It's two kilometers from the station and should be packed with trafic. We'll lose him there."

I hope, Mitch thought.
"I have your gunblade," Brandi said.

More plasma filled the air but ceased when Mitch cut in front of another hovercar.
"You know," Mitch said, "you could shoot back!"

Brandi looked out the shattered back window and spotted the hoverbike. She aimed the modified T-1-11-A snubnose and fired several blasts at the hoverbike. All missed but it kept the biker from shooting back.

"Oops, I hit another car!" Brandi yelled.
"Don't stop shooting!" Mitch ordered. "One more kilometer to go."

She tried to target the assassin but her failed attempts shattered the front windshield of another hovercar.

Mitch weaved through traffic when suddenly the ground underneath them was replaced with two kilometers of traffic, flying in layers.

"We're unprotected!" Brandi screamed. "He has a clear shot---!"

She ended the sentence in a deathly loud scream as MItch suicidally dove the hovercab down through the thick traffic.

"This was your plan!" Brandi yelled.
"Got a better one?" Mitch replied.
"You're going to get us killed!" she screamed as Mitch narrowly missed another layer of traffic.
"Is he following us?" Mitch asked.

Brandi looked out the shattered rear window to see the biker assassin pulling the same suicidal stunts as Mitch. For the first time she took notice of what the man looked like.

He was wearing all black. Matte black boots, leather pants, and a sleeveless shirt, gloves and a knitcap. From underneath the cap pertruded silverish hair.

She turned her head back forward to where they were going......

(that's all i'll give ya for now... just a tease Smile)

also, brandi's looks

She was much younger than the man. Her blonde hair was cropped short just below her ears. The computer screen she was working with displayed an advanced DNA strand. Rubber gloves were laid neatly next to the keyboard. Her labcoat was left open revealing her clothes underneath. She wore a frayed white shirt that bared her stomach. Black pants hung low on her waist. Her fingers continued to dance among the keys, acting unaware of the inturders.

blue eyes.... i think Smile... but there you go

all material © 2002 to JMWGrimes

Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to remind you guys... the deadline of enty is 15Aug05 come on... let me know who's entering!

And show me some artwork! Razz

GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys (they call me "Em") wrote:
Iggy... think cross starwars and startrek... but i have my own technologies designed so it's whatever. Futuristic alienish... so it's strictly your imagination. I could give you descriptions but i don't have my books with me tonight. I think there's a fairly decent scene with X, Brandi, and Jova'rake. I'll tease you guys with it tonight maybe to open the drawing block and give you some action scenes to try and capture Smile

Starwars and Startrek crossed my mind but I was afraid to include them in my combo because some people seem to get offended by linking their stuff to something as big as those. And my link was more linking to the covers of those and the style that I thought would work for this. Hrm..interesting exlanation on the gunblade....sounds like something my bf would try building, he's already gotten to work on a railgun lol. Well...now that I'm back home I can get started on sketches for these....I just bought two new sketchbooks, I'll dedicate one to this contest alone so everything stays together. Smile
Emrys
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see some artwork on this.. I've really been anxious to see this work Razz

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: