Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
So You Want To Learn How To Draw?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Tips & Tutorial Sharing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1WingedAngel
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it folks, good help is hard to find, especially when it comes down to drawing. Its hard for an avid beginner to find good helpful tutorials, and if they do it usually comes at a price, not everyone has Twenty Bucks to spend. I ran though this time of hardship, being a young boy who wanted to draw but didnt have the help to do so. After years of studying, reading and classes I was able to learn what I needed, but all this couldve easily been avoided if I had the help I needed right from the beginning. Now I look at the world around me and I see people who are having the same trouble, how can I remedy this? By giving my two cents on the subject. So, I decided to start a tutorial on here for beginners and people who have trouble with certain subjects. So lets get started shall we?

[b]Rules of the Road[/b]

Ever seen Gremlins? You know how before the man bought the furry little creature he was informed with what he had to do and provide to keep it? Same thing with what Im about to do, before you plunge head first into the world of drawing you need to know a few things so you can get the maximum effect out of it.

[b]No one likes a show off[/b]

Ask yourself, Why do you want to draw? There are many answers for this question and all of them are acceptable, but if you want to draw just for the sole purpose of looking cool or gaining popularity, then youre on the wrong track. My answer for this question is because I grew up on cartoons, I want to animate my ideas and see them alive. If other people like them then thats a plus, but my main reason is because I like to draw. What is the main reason for Fanart-Central? Not to show off our work, but to share it with everyone. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that no one likes a show off.

[b]There is no such thing as a bad artist, just bad knowledge[/b]

Dont ever compare yourself to another artist, everyone has different techniques, so dont go thinking that someone else is better than you. But if you do feel that theyve excelled on a certain aspect of their drawings, like how the hands are drawn, then look at the way you draw them. Are they really drawn better than yours? If so why? Are they drawn too big? Too small? Not anatomically correct to the rest of the body? If yes, then work on it. If not, then they just have a different way of drawing them. That is a technique, every artist has a different technique for their drawings. If I were to tell two different people to draw my cat theyll both draw her differently, not because one person is better than the other, but they have different ways of drawing certain things. So the next time you see a drawing dont get intimidated by it and definitely dont think yours is better then theirs.

[b]The only bad drawing is a drawing with no effort put into it[/b]

Take it from me, dont ever fall in love with your work, not all of your drawings will be gems. If you do a drawing which you feel is great, then huzzahs all around, drinks are on me! Just dont set that as a prime example, meaning dont try to make every drawing great. All your drawings will be great just as long as you try.

[b]You must have a passion for your hobby[/b]

The way I see it, everyone is capable of drawing, its your attitude towards the subject that will prevent you from doing so. Let me tell you a story, a while back my friend tried to convince me to play Bass Guitar for our band, at first I didnt want to but after some bickering I finally gave in. I spent around $280 on a Bass, some picks, an amp and a book (there was a sale) and was on my way. My friend was right about one thing, its pretty easy to learn, but I didnt learn, you know why? Because after a while I didnt want to play the damn thing, sure I learned to start playing it at a decent pace, but I didnt like it, it just wasnt my thing. So now its collecting dust until a friend raises enough money to buy it from me. So what am I trying to get at? You must have a passion for your hobby, if a person really wants to draw, then theyll learn how to do it. If a person doesnt, however, they wont do well on it. So tell yourself, do you really want to draw?

[b]The journey of a Thousand Miles begins with one step[/b]

So, do you really want to know how to draw? Are your intentions good? If so, congratulations, you just took the first step to learning the tricks of the trade! So what now? Before you can run you have to learn how to walk, in our next lesson well learn the basics of all sorts of things, starting with the head. Class is dismissed and Ill see you next time.
KenshinJennings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I've had experience myself!
    [*] Supplies are not cheap. Better lay some money aside, if planning to use professional materials. Start with common supplies first. [*] Observe everyday objects or whatever you're trying to draw to get an idea of what to draw. [*] Practice makes perfect. [*] Not all beginners are Suzuhira Hiros. In most cases the artists who create masterpieces are 17 or older. That must mean they started long ago.
Neawolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks, i didnt think it would be, but this was really helpful ^_^
heylorlass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Sergy! Very Happy
Zabuza41
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man this was very helpful. i look at anime and see how they draw, like hands, feet, and all sorts. thanks alot ^-^
mushu262
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: I Loved your class! Reply with quote

You are talking like you know what you're doing. Wink
Well, when is our next class? Question
Kamire_san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting...i'd like to see the outcome. btw, im only 11. i learned drawing from references in animes and mangas. then again, i also craft a lot. people(in real life) say i'm good my hands. heh, unlike most people, i dont have that fancy prismacolor pencils or that fancy tablet(though i really do want that). i just use some cheap $5 sketchbook, cheap $5 72 roseart colored pencils, and some cheap 99c store lead pencil. oh yah, and a $40 ebay-bought paint shop pro 9. i'm hoping that i can draw as good as some 15 year olds by 12 or 13, but that's hoping too much. anywayz, good luck to everyone taking the tutorial
mpr22
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question is useless, but I'm not sure of it may be useful to others.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was this bumped?

There's no advice in it, just fluffy "ur a gewd artist" junk that people tell themselves and each other to make excuses for why their mediocre art is so terrible.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Tips & Tutorial Sharing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: