Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I'm New To Artist Alley And I Need Some Help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allia
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I think I'll introduce myself first. Hi, my name is Allia and I'm 16. I have loved Anime since I was 12. and have been drawing almost all my life. I'm new to this site and I think its a really nice place for people to put their work. So far people seem to be really nice here.

Anyway, back to my question. This year I plan to go to Anime North. I have been wanting a table in artist alley for a few years now. This year I have decided to go for it. I just don't know that much about it. Like how much should I sell my art for? Most of my art is 14"X17". I have smaller ones that are around 11"X9". I have colored and black and white drawings. How many different pieces should I have? I want to sell copies insted of originals, is this alright? How should I handel commisions if I get any? If you can think of anything else that would help me out please post it. Thanks so much for your help.
-Allia
Sanoshi
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyy welcome to FAC. =D I really do hope u enjoy the commuinity. LOl just be careful of the people who steal artwork.

Anyway, well that's really good you've decided to go into artist ally. Lol i'm 15, but i've been to conventions plus sold some artwork, but not at any conventions. But i can give ya tips how to price yours things. I'm not a pro. But its the best advice i can give you.

Well, if it's your first year, i really have no clue how its gonna go. But if it were me, i'd keep my prices at a cheap price. This is because most people who do visit artist ally go there to view the arts. Lol >D me i bought some. But the people i bought from were really Pros and stuffs, and dude, i just wanted to pic. Lol. ANyway! Going on prices. It depends on the stuff u used and how much time u spend into it. And if your not giving away the originals, then it should be a fairly cheap price (you can acution off the originals). I'ts prefectly alright to sell copies. I bought copies of a Yuna picture that an artist named Pataria (=D she's sooo cooool) did, at the quaility was awesome. You really have to make the copies looked exactly like the original. I suggest going to kinkos or something =p.

Have varaities of pictures, but make sure they're your really good ones. You can also bring old sketches just incase people ask if you have anymore. Also, while on displaying, make sure all your artwork art in plastics, and have cards placed out on tables so they know what price it is without asking. >D most people are shy to ask. Keep the copies underneath with you and put them in plastics.

Commissions are really random. I mean, lol i wanted everyone to draw me when i went to artist ally. So keep a hand full of really good paper and pencil. When they ask "Is it for Free?" or "How much do i have to pay?" lol really depends right? Ask what they want before you set a price. This is beacuse people might think of it as a big rip-off to draw them with only half their body and only done in pencil for $5.00. No tax, people will kill you. Lol >D

Back to pricing. Main keys to price. How much you like, what you used on it, and how much time you spent into it. For example, i drew a picture of Riku and Daisuke from DNAngel. I like the picture a whole lot, and what i used was a tachikawa pen, which i realized hte refils are quite pricey. The paper was hard and smooth, used for comics, and i spent about 2 hours doing it. Also, again, conicder the people around you. If lots of people stare at your pictures, and people buy them like crazy, DO NOT raise the price still. Do not raise it all because people will come back the next day and see what else you have, then they'll freak or something because they realized you changed the price. I sold my Riku and Daisuke piccy for $3.50. Lol not much, but it will do. (Middle schoolers love anything that looks neat >D). But yea, if people pass your booth, dun feel hurt or nothing. It just isn't your year. I mean hell, i'm also thinking about doing hte same thing. It's an experiense you need to learn by yourself ya know? But i took these tips for viewing what the really good artist in artist ally were doing. Of course, be very friendly and open about your art. The only person that you should please when it comes to drawing is yourself. =D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Allia
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Sanoshi Cross. I think I'll try to sell my stuff for around $8. I use copic markers and prisma colored pencils, which are really expensive. I have been making my copies at kinkos and so far so good. I went to office max and they just ruined my pics. I agree with you that the price should not go up, but what about down? I really hope lots of people come and at least look at my drawings, but if they don't then I guess you are right that I should not let it put me down.

I would love to hear what others have done. I need as many opinions from others experiances as possible. Thanks again Sanoshi Cross for the great advice and support!

I love this guy * :ph34r: * so cute. go smilie ninja go!
Sanoshi
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannnnnng girl! You use good @$$ stuff! x.X i wanna use Copic!! how much those things cost damnit? ;-; Lol! Well, the advice i can give u about putting priced down is that if a certain picture isn't selling as good. For instance, you got... An Original character picture that lost of people like, but they don't have enough money (remember you got copies =D), you can lower it 1 dollar at a time. Also if you want ot get rid of a certain picture, or copies you can lower the price down for maybe more than a dollar. Because there was this one table were they made key-chains with their artwork. They had lots left over. They use to be for 1.50, but at the last hour or so, sold it for 50 cents. Lol i was all "DAMNIT! I could have bought htat for cheaper!" but all the good ones are gone. (btw: the people who sold the keychains were Akiko and Mbp from "Autumn Breeze" and "Notebooks and Pencils". They lamenated their keychains (some weren't too for prices were varied =D) Ah! Yes and try to do creative thngs with your artwork like what they other artist did. Lots of them tried selling comics they've made. Made postcards, models, keychains, stickys. =D Lots of people will buy those because their small and convient.

=D Hey! I support anyone will do something bold and helpful to themseleves! Lol You've really inpired me to get as good as i can get so that i can start selling my artwork at conventions. After you go, tell me how its like, then you can give me and others some real advice on how to go about with these kinda things =D

WTF? I like this guy. Describes me the best. >D lol

Good luck to ya =D!!!! You have my best fortune Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr, why is there never anything cool like that around here and not for that genre? Woo, the state fair, la di da. A seventy year old woman saying "that's nice, dear". <_<
Sanoshi
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol!! >D We go thte Del Mar Fair. I'm gonna some thing during artclub, but i konw i have major compeition. =p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Art Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: