Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
I Love 80's On Vh1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of you crazy ass people are too young to remember anything from the 80's. I shouldn't techincally since i was born in 86 but hey, i do!

And personally, i thought we need more topics in here. So put down your two cents on the show. What sucked, what rocked, if you can remember the 80's that is.

I know fallen can, she at least knows of them. I suspect some others to know as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love watching that! Born in 87, but still remeber a lot of the later stuff. I think I saw the episode on 87 where Ninja Turtles first appeared. I used to love the Ninja Turtles. I love all the retro stuff. Was the hoola hoop craze in the 80s? I forgot. I just love seeing all the old commercials for the stuff I used to have as a kid.
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i freaked out when i saw that glow worm thing. It freaked me out as a child having one, but after seeing it on there, i was like "I had that!...man that thing was a weird, i wonder who the hell thought up that thing <_< "

And then that black woman, whats her name? She's funny by the way, saying how it helped her out "many of nights" lol. Eww, that's just wrong though to imply that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a glow worm, too! How easy it is to get nostalgic over a lot of that stuff. I miss those little whitle pops. I used to get those things all the time.
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! and don't forget the scratch n sniff stickers!

Man we put those things EVERYWHERE we could, and then spent all day scratching n sniffing them. haha, funny and oh so relaxed child hood days.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know of 'em? Hell, I could probably recite them. Let's see...I'm gonna include Strikes Back in this...

GOOD:

~ "The babes of 198_, and I outta know." Yes, yes you should.
~ "This Is Spinal Tap" Such a classic movie of the decade
~ "Axl Rose. Then: The new face of rock n' roll. Now: A new face! Welcome to the jungle indeed." *cough* s'true.
~ They got a lot of the classic videos right on. Nice to see MTV back when it was good. Headbangers Ball and such.
~ Pretty good selection of people to comment with minimal douchebags (writers and such) who only sit there and rattle off cliches. Ie "If you remember the Rainbow, you weren't really there!" <_<
~ Decent variety of subjects, from tunes to news to acid wash.

Could've been better:

~ This doesn't really matter, but it always drives me crazy when the 1987 episode is on. "Look What the Cat Dragged In" was released in '86. Poison was huge in '86. Just always bothers me. Same with Guns in '89.
~ Sebastian...let me fix your hair! Please! Not nearly as bad as Vince Neil, but Vince is beyond saving. Poor Sebastian just needs work. Sad
~ There were still a few people I kept thinking "and you're on here...why?".
~ Would've been nice to see a few more obscure things thrown in, but I suppose 10 years is a lot to fit into twenty hours.
~ If I ever meet Joe Elliot, while I think he's a great frontman, I'm bitchslapping him for fooling himself into thinking Def Lep wasn't a hair band.

I like the series for what it was. A little more than annoyed it's sparked the reinvention of VH1, but it would've happened eventually either way. One thing, whether it was good or bad I don't know, is the fact they tastefully ignored the curse of the hair band after 1984/5. They touched on it a little in the 87 ep, but only really showed Poison, Bon Jovi, and such. And they mentioned it in 89 with Guns bringing the balls back into metal, but I'm sure some of those people had more than a small opinion on the near clones that followed in between. The difference being most were still good, honest bands (unlike today's clones), but the airwaves were still overly saturated with 'em.

Eh, it's cool. A little tired of the reruns. This has been my one post in this forum. *shall now return to ignoring it for her own sanity*

EDIT: Have to throw in, I love the line about David Lee Roth being a frustrated cheerleader. Very Happy
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Fallen, that line was the best one. I laughed over that one.

Well me, another one i was thinking of, was those god damn latino kid band, watcha ma call them? The one ricky martin was in?

The guy from the tv show "Grounded for life" was funny when talking about that one, saying "Drop your pants little rick, oh, i see, you've been shaving, You've been shaving your testicles! Your out!" lol. That was so fucked up but you could so see it.

lol

I love that guy.
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe i like that show very much. hal sparks, donal louge, and michael ian black are very funny. i was born in '88, so some of it is over my head, but i love 80s movies and tv shows and know some of the music, so i get most of it. i would have liked to see more kids stuff, like how they did fraggle rock and my little pony (hehe aka "my little equestrian statue"), but that's just because i remember that stuff more since a lot of it carried into the early 90s, when i was a kid. i don't mind watching it more than once, but yea i am a little sick of the reruns. it's great to watch when nothing else is on tho, because you're bound to come upon something funny and/or interesting no matter when you turn it on. (which is why that kind of programming is getting so popular, like it said in that article fallen had)
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the one with Axl and a few of the other bands. Music then rocked so much more than most of the crap put out today. I haven't even heard of half the bands kids are listening to today. So many people make a few songs and then are forgoten. 80s music will live forever.
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yea um menudo was the band, lasher. hehe that was funny. i liked the klondike bar bit, too. "I WILL BREAK EVERY LAW KNOWN TO MAN TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS CONFECTIONARY TREAT!" or something like that. donal logue is really funny- seeing him on that made me want to try watching "grounded for life"

and very good assessment, fallen. lol yea uh can you remind me how def leppard [i]wasn't[/i] a hair band? that part surprised me
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is very tru, amy. long live the 80s!
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80's was horrible for fashion and hair wise. But oh god did they have some damn good movies.

I just watched Caddy Shack (did i get it right, wups Sad ) and i wish they made more movies like that now days.

Ground For Life is actually pretty funny, mainly because of him.

And i love him, michael and that other guy, damn! can't remember, lol.

it was all good.
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all the Back to the Future movies. Remember when the future was 2000 and all the cars flew? I must have missed that.
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yea back to the future rocks! i know, i always wish for the hoverboards that supposedly exist in the 2000's. michael j fox is cool. i also love those campy teen 80s movies- not only the really popular ones like breakfast club, but like the weird john cusack ones ([i]better off dead, one crazy summer[/i], etc) and whatnot. hehe [i]zapped[/i] was funny. my cousin once had a fetish for scott baio, so i watched the movie and laughed as i thought of her. [i]weird science[/i] was all right, too
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird science, everytime i saw that and the woman standing the in doorway scene, that was when my lesbian side kicked in <_<

And then what happened, i'd be talking to the two dorks, Li or chris. ironic! ack.

Believe it or not, i hate the back to the future movies, can't stand them....don't hurt me! Sad *hides*

Oh god, i hated my little pony though, and rainbow bright! ack! You know, my brother taught me how to crash my 1950's baby blue vintage barbie doll car into my huge pink barbie doll house my grandma must have spent 300 dollars on Cool haha, those were the days.
rafusen
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Idol, baby!
Those neon colored clothes.
Those things you would stick on your shirt to hold it up more.
Spandex bike shorts.
Push Pops.
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god, fallen, did i forget to mention in the hot wet and hard thread in the unmoderated that Billy idol is one of mine umm...*Gets week knees nad bites lip* yeahh....i'm "retiring" for the night ladies and gents.

oh god, billy. that is one hot blonde british badass, and i normally don't take at all to the first to B's i mention. lol. Badass, well, that one is always acceptable. Cool
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what, i miss the 80's rock music. Maybe that's sad, i don't know, but i do. I miss the whole rock star scene. today, it's so tammed, and if anything happens, it the stupidest s**t ever.

God i miss those days.

fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. "I want my rock stars to look different than the guy that pumps my gas". Or "I'd rather fuck a rock star than a dentist" - Gene Simmons.

Blonde and British has never been a negative in my book. Unless you start talking about Def Leppard. <_<

Love them bleach blondes. Cool Steve Stevens ain't half bad, either. Plus, both Billy and Steve have [i]talent[/i]. Surprised A rarity these days.
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my book, blonde and british has always been bad. Unless your talking about Billy old boy and the crazy David Bowie. Now that i could overlook just for those two.

And oh my good, Gene Simmons, the man with a 7 inch tongue. I remember when i was younger some kids in the back of the bus talking how how long his tongue was, and this kid had this weird rock n roll book of facts on the stars or something i think. I guess it said how long his tongue was and he was making everyone guess, and i'm just sitting there giving a dirty look at how dumb they are and tell them "It's 7 inches long you f**king dumbass, can't you tell? It's not that hard!" Everyone just looked me and was about ready to jump down my throat about it when the kid just dropped his mouth open and was like "She got it right! A girl got it right! Holy s**t, you guys suck, you lost to a girl man!" lol

That was so funny. I'm a real good judger on lenght and distance, things like that. Then again i would hope so since i was really into architecture and mechanical drawing. But that thing happened years before i dabbled into that stuff. Guess i'm just a a natural. Now, if i only had some dicks to sit back and guess the measurement and get it right on. *coughs* literally.

lol.

Fallen, i've been obsessed with the "Home sweet Home" song by Motley Crew this weekend. I can't stop listening to it. "I'm on my way, I'm on my wayyy, home sweet home!"

And god i hope i didn't f**k that up, it was a song i found in my iTunes with no title or nothing! no album, band name, song title, nothing. I'm pretty damn sure i guessed it right though. I don't remember to much of their stuff with names and titles, but i recognize it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: