Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Curse Of The Were-folk
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratadrake
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new year means many ideas for new contests. So, enter this one.

Curse of the Were-folk

Think about the term, "werewolf". What comes to mind? The traditional myth about man-wolves? The fantasy interpretation of a wolfen species on two legs?

I dunno about you, but I tend to like the latter interpretation better. But... why just limit it to wolves?

Objective
The goal for this contest is to think up and create a were-species. That is to say that when you complete an entry, I would like a little more than just a pretty picture to look at. I want to also know a little bit about their species as a whole.

Entry Guidelines
Many of the following rules I have in place for artistic reasons -- they may not all be strictly enforceable, but I'm stating them anyway, to give you a direction of thought to start with when creating an entry, and to help maintain a consistent 'feel' to contest as a whole. As such, I would like to see you address (to some extent) the following points in the entry, and/or its description.
  • Definitions. For this contest, a "were-folk" is defined as a creature resembling a normal animal, with the exception that it is an upright, bipedal creature that could, in a pinch, be mistaken for (or thought to be) something half-animal, half-human.

Important: A were-creature, as per above, is NOT actually half-human or part-human -- absolutely do not think of them that way -- it just has an illusion of being partly human. That is all.

• Werespecies Genus. Your were-creature should be based on a real-world animal species, preferably one with a furred or feathered pelt (though I am not prohibiting fish or reptiles). I want you to work with the characteristics and qualities of the animal type you choose, in that the 'key' features (e.g.: head shape, tail, plantigrade or digitigrade feet, color scheme, so on) need to resemble the source animal.

(Update - 1-08-2006)
    However, as fitting the first rule, I must also expect that the were-creature entry will have a pair of legs/feet, and a pair of arms/hands -- this is important for the "appears to be somewhat human" aspect of the were-creature. Obviously, if you choose to start with a bird, you must decide what to do with the wings (since their wings are really just modified arms). In other words, additional criteria can apply, depending on the genus you choose to work with. I'll notify you if there are any.

• Fantasy or Reality? While I did say the species must be based on a real-world species, I said nothing about the "world" context in which you should design them. You may think and design your werespecies in terms of either a fictional "real world", or a more removed, "fantasy" world.

• Werespecies Name. Please come up with an original name for your werespecies and include it either as your entry's title, or prominently in its description. By original, I mean that I will not accept a species name starting with "were-" (e.g., "werefox"), or which directly includes the name of the source animal you chose (such as "wolfen"). This also includes -- to a degree -- using foreign names of that animal type, such as "feline", "kitsune" or so on.

If you do not have a werespecies name ready when you finish your entry, you may think it up later, but no later than the contest entry deadline, of course. Otherwise, an honorable mention (for the effort) is all I can give you.

• Intelligence. Does the were-species posess a human-like intelligence or a lesser, animal-like intelligence? We've all heard the adage about windows to the soul, so try to portray this through the creature's eyes.

• Genders. Think carefully about the species's gender differences (aka sexual dimorphism) -- e.g., how easy it is to tell if a given individual is a male or female, or if both sexes look identical (at least to an "untrained eye"). Many real-life animal species have only subtle differences between their genders (remember how the movie studios used a male collie to play the female Lassie?).

I'm not saying you CAN'T add a visible gender difference (e.g. breasts?) for the sole purpose of easier interpretation by us humans, but like I said earlier, try to work with the qualities of the source animal you pick, and not against. So if you choose a lion, for example, then only the males should have a mane; conversely, if you choose a parrot, you probably wouldn't need any visible gender differences at all, since parrots are largely androgynous.

• Clothing vs. Nudity. As you know, we humans have a social taboo against public nudity, thus why we wear clothes. Real-world animals have no comprehension of said taboo, plus they have their own pelts to protect them, which is why they wear nothing. Does your werespecies require the use of clothing, or not? Remember, this relates to the level of intelligence for that species (human-like, or animal-like), and that a thick pelt can be its own clothing too.

If you wish to provide garments for your were-creature, think in terms of a "classic fantasy" era -- in other words, the garments have to be something that the werespecies could feasibly design, acquire materials for and produce by themselves, using their own means, and be able to don and doff by themselves as needed (see WikiFur for some insight on the subject) . No clothing from or resembling modern day clothing will be allowed. Additionally, I will also prohibit all upper-body clothing in their entirety, to help encourage you to think in terms of their pelt being their clothing. Anything else, I leave to you and your discretion.

(update - 1-17-2006)
    But if the above sounds too harsh, here's some positive news: You may add a reasonable measure of "jewelry" and ornamentation to the character if you wish, because those are worn solely to decorate or adorn the body and its features, and not for the purpose of protecting and covering up the body and its features (e.g. against the environment and from injury) as clothing is. Note that a natural pelt also serves the purpose of covering and protecting the body; this is why I said "a pelt can be its own clothing" and have the "no upper-body clothing" rule in place.

• The Big Picture. Remember what I stated in the Contest Objective -- I want to see more to an entry than just a pretty picture to look at. Please give me a little information about their kind as a whole.
Other Criteria, As Always
  • Create It. I will only accept new drawings/content as an entry -- anything created and uploaded in 2005 (or earlier) is not eligible.
  • Show me the Links. Upload finished entries to your FAC account and provide URL's in a reply.

• First Come, First Serve.. I will only allow ONE artist to use a specific genus of animal for their first entry, and this will be handled first-come first-serve. If, for example, someone has already chosen a wolf for their species, you can't choose a wolf yourself. But please note the following....
  • No Wolves, Please. Wolves are already the #1 choice for the average were-creature, and I would like to see you creating something yourself, more so than implementing or re-interpreting what's already been done by others before you. So, as unfortunate as it may sound, wolves are strictly non-eligible as a source animal. You'll have to choose a different species. Challenge yourself -- be original! Go wild!
  • Communicate. Because of the above rules, I want you to identify what genus of were-creature you wish to create, so that I may keep track of the entries and inform you if there are any unique criteria.
  • "Sniping". If you'd like to surprise me with an entry completely out of the blue (with no advance warning or discussion), you're free to do so, but only at your own risk -- a "stealth" entry will be deemed either eligible or not, and accepted/rejected as such.
  • Extra Credit. If you have finished and entered one entry and still want to try your hand at more creatures, then you may choose another animal type, completely exempted from the FCFS rule described previously. I must insist, however, that you actually complete and enter one entry at a time before calling out another.

• Single or Paired? You need only depict one were-creature in an entry. Now, if their species bears noticeable gender differences, I would like to hear a little bit about what those differences are, or to see them (you are welcome to depict one of each gender in the same entry).
  • The Full Monty. No upper-body shots, portraits, or other forms of close-ups in your entries. I must be able to observe the were-creature's entire form, i.e. from head to tail.
  • Posture. I must also require that the were-creature be depicted in a pose associated with bipedals. Standing or sitting upright, walking or running, kneeling or squatting, and so on are all acceptable. Poses associated with quadropeds (such as crawling on all four hands/feet) cannot be allowed because they do not make clear that the werespecies is bipedal as required by this contest's objective.

• Entry Title. Please assign an appropriate Title to your submission, defined as: You may not make reference to me or this contest in the 'Title' field of your picture. I will not object to you mentioning me or my contest in the 'Description' or 'Keyword' fields if you want to (you could say, for example, "THIS IS MY ENTRY FOR STRATADRAKE'S WEREFOLK CONTEST!" as the first line of your Description and I won't complain!), but I've seen too many pictures in my experience titled "Contest entry!" to appreciate it anymore.
  • Ratings. No adult-level or explicit content of any kind will be allowed. Make it G thru PG-13 please (though you probably shouldn't even need PG-13)..

• Deadline. I'd like to host a successful contest again, so I'm going to set the initial entry deadline at... March 31st. That's right -- three months, and let's see how it goes.
  • Prizes. I will decide and annouce this matter later.

• Rules Subject To Change. I need to do further thinking on some of these rules. Hopefully (but possibly not always), I'll announce any changes before actually implementing them.
I think I covered all the bases. Any questions?

Contest Status
Genus names listed in red are reserved to the particular artist as per the FCFS rule, and may not be chosen by another person for their first entry.
- - - - -
  • The Competition
    - Bouncy_The_Chao - Croctuca (were-hyena)
    - ChocolateCappuccino - Undurea (were-Budgerigar, or "were-akeet")
    - GollumDragon - Hertemes (were-deer)
    - Jedi - Felix Erectus (were-cat: Domestic Siamese)
    - moonlightelf: Sithrel (were-cobra) - Dithrel (and no, the two species are not related)
    - NEVERBENORMAL - Glyshenian (were-goldfish)
    - silver_dragicorn - Nightshadows (were-eagle: harpy eagle)
    - Twinstar - Snowstalker (were-leopard) - Kathra - African Desi
    - WizardoftheWood - Tubber, aka "Capman's Beaver" (were-beaver)

• Other:
    - Barney - disqualified (pic removed/broken link)
    - cptShort - resigned
    - John - disqualified (pic removed/broken link)

Twinstar
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll enter this. I do have one question though. When you say that only one person can do one kind of animal, does the first-come-first-serve type basis depend on who says it first, or who draws it first?
If we can take an animal choice by saying it, then I want to do a Tiger and a Snow Leopard, for now. Is that alright?
Also, what is the prize(s)? I don't think you mentioned it
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I forgot something. Updates to the rules are --

Prizes: TBA. Three months should be enough time for me to finish my current backlog of requests and decide on this matter.

FCFS: If you call it, you've reserved it. However, if you plan on doing multiple entries, you must finish (and enter) the first before you call out any others. No fair calling out a whole stable of animals at once and leaving others fewer to choose from, eh? The flip side to this matter is that additional entries shall be exempted from the FCFS rule.

Hmm, I must do more thinking on these matters....
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have said it, but are we also allowed mythical creatures? ie....iono were-dragon... were-phoenix (oh my that would be interesting lol) I have no clue what I'm going to do but I just want to know so I know what my choices are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WizardoftheWood
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this contest. I'd like to reserve the beaver. There's a lot of rules here, but I think I can follow them.
Twinstar
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I think I'll take the Snow Leopard for now. I really want to do both but if I have to choose one for now, I'll take that one.
Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmsss....... intresting... hrmsss...... Let me think about an animal and I will post it soon...

www.pandora.com Find New Music You Like.... Free
Stratadrake
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUOTE (GollumDragon)
You may have said it, but are we also allowed mythical creatures? ie....iono were-dragon...

Yeah, I did say it... sort of. I asked that they be a real-world species, so fantasy creatures are out.
Moonlightelf
Space Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... So it is almost like anthro, but none of those...? I'll enter with cobra.
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratadrake (Strata) wrote:
QUOTE (GollumDragon)
You may have said it, but are we also allowed mythical creatures? ie....iono were-dragon...

Yeah, I did say it... sort of. I asked that they be a real-world species, so fantasy creatures are out.

Oops, silly me. Rolling eyes

Hokay then, I have a couple I'd like to try, I've got a 4-hour meeting today so I might just doodle out ideas and see which one looks the best before I tell you which animal I want.

Just one other thing, though. Do you remember my saurials (the lizard-folk I draw) would one of those be eligible or are you looking for something a bit more human-like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stratadrake
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not answering that. ;)

The entry needs to be based on a real-world animal species, but upright and bipedal, such that an onlooker might believe it to be partially human (when it really isn't). I leave the rest of the artistic discretion to you.

QUOTE (moonlightelf)
Hmm... So it is almost like anthro, but none of those...? I'll enter with cobra.

Ah, you figured me out. ^_^ But of course, if I had called this an "anthro" contest, it would have painted a very different picture than what I have in mind.

A cobra, you say? Quite a challenge then, since cobras don't have legs, and I did say the creatures have to be an upright, bipedal species. Meaning that you'll need to add a pair of arms/legs (legs alone wouldn't look right without arms to balance them) for the were-cobra to qualify... how shall you do that while keeping the whole snake-like look?

(That question is for you to ponder Wink)
Barney--TheAnti-Christ
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a whack at this. Arctic Fox.
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not answering that. Wink

Poo, I was hoping you wouldn't catch that question hidden in there ;)

Well, I didn't get around to making the quick drawings because I ended up getting sent to the ER, they still aren't sure exactly what happened to me. *saracastic yay*

I think I'll let my lizard-people be and try something new. I pick deer-peoople. Smile
Moonlightelf
Space Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not answering that. ;)

The entry needs to be based on a real-world animal species, but upright and bipedal, such that an onlooker might believe it to be partially human (when it really isn't). I leave the rest of the artistic discretion to you.

QUOTE (moonlightelf)

Ah, you figured me out. ^_^ But of course, if I had called this an "anthro" contest, it would have painted a very different picture than what I have in mind.

A cobra, you say? Quite a challenge then, since cobras don't have legs, and I did say the creatures have to be an upright, bipedal species. Meaning that you'll need to add a pair of arms/legs (legs alone wouldn't look right without arms to balance them) for the were-cobra to qualify... how shall you do that while keeping the whole snake-like look?

(That question is for you to ponder Wink)

I have figured out it's look ^^ It is almost same with one game i've been playing, but not going to make it as same as that games, no no... But the look is almost done. Since we are talking from cobra, i thought about adding more details that it doesn't look just any ordinal cobra (like bit clothing or hair...), allowed?
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already stated the rule on what types of clothing are / are not acceptable.

As for hair... I haven't made a rule on this subject. Cobras don't have hair to work with, do they?
Moonlightelf
Space Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they don't, but thought about if there can be hair, then it would be so called 'difference' of the gender by its color. And cobra without hair is bit too ordinal for me.
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure? I hate it when that happens. Sad
NEVERBENORMAL
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds fun ^^

PREPARE FOR THE WERE.....lemme think about it...
yay it ends in my B-day month ^^

i might do a were goldfish lol

i'm on deviant art too ^
WizardoftheWood
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to coloring this thing. I've had the sketch done for a while now. The whole idea of mine is kinda half baked, but maybe I'll make a better one later. Here's the Link: Best Dam Sketch Evah!

Get it, Dam, and it's a beaver........unfortunately this picture contains no actual dams.
Stratadrake
Grammar nazi
(and proud of it)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've changed me mind....

That's why I asked first. I've been mulling over a new possible rule whereby if you say you'll enter, but have to resign later, then you don't get let back in.

To be fair, though, I haven't included it as an actual rule. (At least not yet...!)

Okay, Wizardofthewood, one complete entry. Well, almost. All that's left to do is to comply with the stated rule about an original werespecies name that does not include the name of the original animal used (nor the "were" prefix). "Capman's Beaver", while indeed a decent name, does not comply with that rule.

Fortunately, as I also mentioned in the same rule, you do have time to come up with an original werespecies name.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: