Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mormons And Video Tape
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across this movie the other day. It was a copy of the Matrix. It sucked. Why? you ask. Ill tell you why. Apparently this movie had been edited for family viewing by a company called Family Flix. And Im not talking about edited for TV viewing, Im talking about edited for rightwing-christian-conservative-smalltown-closedminded-dick-up-their-holier-than-thou-asses viewing.

But Jay, you ask me, what exactly is so wrong? Ill tell you. Their cutting out of scenes made no sense to me. They got rid of any reference to Jesus. This fucked things up right away, as every reference to Christ was put in intentionally as an underlying message of Neos similarity to the Savior. They cut out the scene showing Neo opening a bible to show that it is actually a hiding place for his hacking software. Anything that might be any offence to anyone is gone. They get rid of any reference to death or dying. Smiths infamous youre men are already dead line? Gone. Dozer being killed by Cipher? Out. Anyone getting shot? No way. There is more violence in a Disney movie for crying out loud! Which brings me to the most horrid travesty of all: There is no lobby scene.

You heard me: NONE. No scene. They walk through the front door, and then it immediately cuts to them getting on the elevator. They cut out one of the most jaw dropping, high flying, beloved action scenes in movie history. At this point, I turned the movie off in disgust.

I think what puts the icing on the cake, though, is the quality of the editing. And when I say quality, I mean there isnt any. Edited scenes look like they were chopped up and hastily pasted back together. Censoring of language is done by muting all sound, leaving awkward silences all throughout the movie. They get rid of certain scenes that causes all scenes afterward to make next to no sense. Why!? For the sake of family viewing? Any parent who would allow there child watch this movie in the first place would not be bothered at buying this softened version in the first place; especially considering that the unedited version wasnt that bad. It was originally rated PG-13. It got changed to an R rating because Columbine had just happened and lots of parents and other bitchy people were blaming the movie for what happened, among other things.

What these people have done is taken a wonderful movie and totally butchered it beyond all hope of salvation. Family Flix must pay for this horrid crime against cinematography! I blame the Mormons for this travesty. That and televangelists. I hate those people. But thats another rant all to itself.

[color=black]"Your toast is burnt and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff!" ~ Caboose, Red vs. Blue[/color]
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, now that truly blows.

My answer when it comes to religion. It's not healthy for you or anyone. For many reasons. Summary? Lasher does not do religion, period.

I've seen the whole Matrix trilogy and have it Razz I have a s**t load of movies though. i just got one of my favorites recently, Pulp fiction, just imagine that being edited in the way you described, there would be no movie. and that whole bible scripture thing would be dead! BEST PART!

*sighs* i don't like my movies edited at all. I feel sorry you couldn't watch it in it's true form now Sad to bad your in Tenn, or you could come over and we could watch it. I love those movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paru
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is, with all that editing, would it even make any sense? If they really cut out that many scenes, you wouldn't think you'd be able to tell what the heck was going on. But, I guess it's what people get for buying something edited by a company called "Family Flix." <_<
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no. this is just something i stumbled across. i have watched the true, full versions of these movies many a time. i may live below the bible belt, but nashville is pretty liberal. they don't really give a crap about censorship here.

[color=black]"Your toast is burnt and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff!" ~ Caboose, Red vs. Blue[/color]
Lexar
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how long was the movie after the censoring? 15 minutes?
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Mormons are scary like that. No 'R' movies, no 'R' books.. classics such as Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame are looked down upon and they get violent if a teacher assigns anything of the sort. Obviously homosexuality is extremely forbidden, excommunication emminent. (Though they do provide shock therapy for anyone wishing to turn from their 'sinful' ways.) Psychos.
Paru
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]no no no. this is just something i stumbled across. i have watched the true, full versions of these movies many a time[/quote]

I wasn't talking to you specifically, just reffering to the silly people who just buy the edited versions...and from a company called Family Flix....who decided on that name? (stop me, I'm starting to babble again )
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, well, i think the only people who would buy these are rightwing-conservative-smalltown-closedminded-dick-up-their-holier-than-thou-asses christians. i hate those people, particularly because they condemn every one else and act like they have no faults of there own.

VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know

BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's scary, man. damn i feel really sorry for kids who are raised in that kind of environment and think that that's they way things should be. i'd kill myself if i lived like that.

and yea, seriously, how long was the movie? cutting all the higher-than-"G" stuff takes away the whole story
silver_dreams
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the f**k would people do that?!? they're cutting outthe best f**king parts!
AnGeLsNeSt
Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, my names laura, and im 14, and i am mormon. now i understand yur frustration, but at the same time it slightly offended me and hurt my feelings. now im a relaxed mormon, i watch rated R movies, i cuss (a lil more than i should), and im just a regular person. what you have to understand is that the editing is done for family's (aka lil kids). now when the church says the rated R movie thing they really r implying it more for little children. besides, most lil kid's parents don't allow their children to watch rated r movies. also when they say u shouldn't watch them, they aren't threatening you. if u watch rated R movies they dont condemn you to hell or throw you out of the church! how would they even know? they just tell us to strive to set personal standards and goals, like not drinking and smoking, which as any regular american knows will keep yourself clean and just overall make you happier person. now as my parents say and other people who go to my church, you shouldn't be too overspiritual. you have to have fun and you have to keep a balance. you shouldn't let your church life OR what you do for fun rule over your life. you just need to keep a balance. but when you think about it, do you think jesus would want us watching rated R movies with violence, cussing, drugs and sex? itz just up to your personal beliefs and what you feel comfortable with. now as for the matrix I LUV THAT MOVIE!!!! that is probably one of my alltime favorite movies, and i dunt have the edited version but just the regular rated R version, b/c really neither me nor my parents really find that movie inapropriate. it even teaches lessons and really sends you a message. now, if you don't believe in god or you don't go to any sorta of church thatz fine. you have the right to make your own decisions and in the constitution we are all given the right to whatever religion we want or none at all if we please. all that i ask though, is that you respect my personal and religious beliefs and ill respect yours ^-^
Laughing ~AnGeLsNeSt~
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey laura, it's good to hear your opinions on the matter. i, too, am a relaxed christian. i ment no real offence toward you and i am sorry if a hurt your feelings.

my experience with mormons are two different girls on two seperate occasions telling me i was going to hell. i think anyone could understand that i didn't really appreciate that.

again, i ment no disrespect to you. i just take the editing of movies very seriously. sometimes it is done well, and sometimes not. don't hate me, ok?

maridah

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO...I don't think it's the Mormons who are the strong force behind over-censoring. I'd say its Southern Baptists.
I've had a few Mormon friends, one of which could not watch any movie over the pg-13 rating at the age of 18 thanks to her very strict parents. It's parents like hers who made 'Family Flix' but despite the forced repressed state of their child, they were not the ones to picket everything under the sun or spearhead the censorship movement.
Southern Baptists picket every movie imaginable, and just about everything else.
I live in the south, grown up here; face the prejudice from these fundamentalists daily. My own religion doesn't support censorship because we don't like to suppress people. It's very unpleasant living as a Buddhist in the state that spawned Bush. Rolling eyes
Everyone has the right to believe in what ever they choose, but when it infringes on others and their beliefs, there is a major problem. I hate the fact that music on the radio is censored. Any form of art should be free of it.
Even though they edited the bejesus out of the matrixI might get a kick out of watching this butchered film. Sometimes its just so bad its funny. I have to keep laughing or the anger will make me sick.

Ughmoral of the storydont buy media from Wal-Mart? Razz The would sooooo sell family flix Its right up their population-controlling alley.
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an anti-walmart pin. ^_^ a friend was handing them out at school.

BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo i want one! walmart is incredibly eeeeeevil. they mistreat their workers, plus most of their products are made in sweatshops. damn them.
AnGeLsNeSt
Newb

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they told u that you were going to hell? o.O lol i would've told them to f**k off and tell them they weren't setting a very good example b/c mormons actually dunt really believe in "hell" the way itz described and at church they don't preach about you being condemned and try to scare you like that and they certainly don't tell us to go around and condemn anybody else......they were probly either some mormon extremists (which usually r in utah and the church usually excommunicates them for like polighamy and all that fucked up s**t b/c the church got rid of that along time ago), or they were joking, or they were just being assholes.....anywayz itz okie, personally i think that editing stuff it stupid b/c if kids dunt see bad stuff in movies they're gunna still see it at school and other places so what's the point? itz just part of living in the world, though you should still strive to make good choices and try to stay away from temptation but we're all human so everybodys gunna make mistakes once in awhile. as for baptist, i dunt really like to bash other churches and stuff b/c you should respect their beliefs but i dunt really like baptists b/c they bash mormons and spread all this false s**t. and plus watz with gettin paid for being a priest? you should do it outta the goodness of your heart and not to put bread on the table b/c that just seems to make it less sincere....i hate those phoney preachers you see on tv! they preach in their fake lil southern accents then they say to send money to whatever their phone number is and thye say they'll give you "blessings" in return! thatz a bunch of bull s**t! they're just doing it to make money from poor elderly people who can't go to church but hafta watch it on t.v. it makes me sick! ok im sick of ranting.....anywayz it okie bamf ^-^
AnGeLsNeSt
Newb

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walmart sux!!!! target rules! or atleast it sells better stuff =P
Sirius
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I really like mormons.
I'm feeling their founder especially.
Being married to so many woman and all.
I mean if your founder's that cool,it can't be all bad now can it Rolling eyes
Founding a religion and being married to so many woman.
That's like what every man aspires to. Rolling eyes
VR_Jay
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good lord! i don't think i could stand being married to one woman, let alone several. <_<

ok, enough with the mormon hating, i've opened up a can of worms here. ^_^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> TV & Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: