Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hey You (yes, You)! Read This!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theWriter
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Hey You (yes, You)! Read This! Reply with quote

Here's the deal, little n00bs: You don't know how to debate. Period. And so, to make you better citizens of the FAC and better citizens overall, I'm going to give you a lesson on how a topic in both the Politics and Philosphy forms should start.

You make a statement. Example:

N00bs have no idea what they're talking about.

Great. So, you have your position statement. After your statement, you put: "I________" and in the blank goes the one of the following: "strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly agree." This will help people know what your position on the topic at hand.

Now, you must, under all circumstances, back it up. If you have no information to back up your statement, you will be eaten alive. No joke. Politics don't go very well with lack of information. You have to back up all statements with something pertaining factual truth. It's imperative.

Alrighty, now the information:

Often the n00bs that enter the politics forum have no idea how to spell, and they're overall attitude is superior and arrogant. This is dangerous for them because in the case they get in a real heated debate, they get themselves backed into a corner, whereupon they resort to insulting. This leads to a topic closing, and an overall feeling of anger and frustration because a n00b started a debate and couldn't back it up.

Ah...That was very long winded. However, did I back up my information? I think so. You can easily look on the second page of this forum to see evidence of poorly led threads created by n00bs who had no idea what they were doing.

Oh, and another thing. Insults are not tolerated. This should not become personal. No. Not only is that rude, it is immature and petty and, above all things, does not help prove your point, rather helps others go against you. Don't sink as low to say, "you're stupid!" or "you *#@%@!!!!" because it will not help you at all.

Keep all debates impersonal. You are debating a topic. Though you may feel quite strongly about it--which is perfectly acceptable--resorting to name calling is not and will not be tolerated. Don't use evidence such as "my mom says..." or "my priest says"...because that's going to fall flat because, guess what? No one cares. It's unfortunete, but true. We want facts. Names, dates and information. Not some word of mouth crap. If it's pertinent to the subject, then, sure, try it, but if it's not, keep it out. Period. Sometimes, political threads will drift off base. This happens. People get bored. They try a different approach. Try to get the topic back on without sounding like an annoying, well...n00b.

If you are wrong, 'fess up. No one likes an arrogant snob.

And I mean no one. Even if you still don't exactly agree with that person, accept defeat. You'll still have your pride, and chances are, someone will still respect you slightly. Don't bow down to those who you think are wrong--no, that's not what I'm trying to say. On the other hand, do step aside periodically. If someone comes in with more facts than you, and they also have a good point, tell them that. Say "good point". And then, you can also add that little jab, "but..." to your arguement.

The main thing in a debate is information. It is what will determine whether or not your debate has stuff or not. If it doesn't, if you just say, "I don't like blah blah blah." and give no information, people are going to revile you. Once I post this, I'm going to give a link to a topic and something you SHOULD NOT DO, that way you can see for yourself what's right and wrong.

Debate is long winded
. It is. It's a sport for those with writing skills, intellectual minds, and a general verbose approach to life. It's easy to say "I don't like someone" but it's more difficult to put in information to support your arguement. Yeah, it's hard. Yeah, it is difficult to read through. But it's a challenge, and who knows, you might learn something. Don't shy away from long posts. Read them. Think about them. Don't immedietley reply and not even consider what the person above you posted. It's stupid and foolish and once again, your arguement will fail.
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs to be pinned, oh gods how this needs to be pinned. Thank you Megan, this is great, if n00bs will read it. But, knowing n00bs, they won't. But still this needs to be pinned not only for n00bs but as a debating rule of thumb, its well written and explanatory.
Ogrim_Doomhammer
Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, someone made a good "tutorial thread" for politics....... It was really needed.
Thanks Meg <3

www.pandora.com Find New Music You Like.... Free
theWriter
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I'm here to make politics a better place...somewhat.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red approves. I don't go on those boards much anymore but i'll sure glance at them if n00bs follow through to these.

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
theWriter
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Moi, aussi.

I'm pleased with my Debating 101--somewhat. The Stef is now my favorite politics person because she followed the format right to the "t". And that made me very happy. Very Happy

Now if only others would mimic her oh-so-mature decisions.
rosecrow13
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God someone finally put up how annoyed all the rest of us good spelkers are at the n00b's. Thanks Meg! Very Happy
Kamakazi
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how it's annoying when people who are new make pointless and irrelavent posts, and it's nice that you made a post where they can learn to debate accuratly, but frankly a few of you statements are somewhat insulting. Just because someone is new doesn't make them stupid.
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kamakazi"]I can see how it's annoying when people who are new make pointless and irrelavent posts, and it's nice that you made a post where they can learn to debate accuratly, but frankly a few of you statements are somewhat insulting. Just because someone is new doesn't make them stupid.[/quote]

Alot of the times it does. Especally when they are undereducated, evangelical, mega right wing, christians who backthem selves into a cornetr and then make a second account to try and prove themselves right.

Oh wait, thats you isn't it?
Sam400
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so harsh... I mean, sure n00bs don't really know what to do when they come to a website, but that's why they call is a n00b... THEY'RE NEW.... so yeah they're not stupid they just need to know about the site more. Blah
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sam400"]Don't be so harsh... I mean, sure n00bs don't really know what to do when they come to a website, but that's why they call is a n00b... THEY'RE NEW.... so yeah they're not stupid they just need to know about the site more. Blah[/quote]

Theres a line between "Not being harsh" and maintaing control and keeping this board intellegent. i've had my fair share of fuckups on FaC, and when it happened I tought they were being harsh, but a year latter I totalyl agree with what they decided to do with me.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey, (you you,) I don't like your girlfriiiiend!

There's a difference between newbs and noobz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aquaeevee
Forum contributor

Location: just southwest of sod off, a little past sign say noobly people parking, 5 tics from the asylum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps we should get our president to read this. he might actually learn to debate properly and not get his but kicked 45 ways from saterday in an actual debate! Very Happy then again its funnier to see him get his but handed to him on a platter Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: