Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Anything But Anime Contest
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squidman
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know me, you know I have some issues with the anime style in general. Flat, illustrative character designs; Big, jewelly, unfocused eyes; characters that look like they were all based on the same template with different hair and clothes... and it's absolutely EVERYWHERE.

Now, I love nothing more than seeing people prove that they can flex their style muscles and do something outside their normal comfort zone.

So my challenge to you folks is this: Take your favourite anime characters and present them to me in a decidedly non-anime style. Interpret this as you will. If you want to draw a the Beyblade cast as they would appear in Powerpuff Girls, go right ahead. If you want to show me your Ren & Stimpy style Inuyasha, that's fine too. Looney Toons Pikachu, Little Mermaid style Sailor Moon, whatever you want. As long as the character used to look anime style, but doesn't any more.

So to sum it up,

RULES Updated April 7th
-Drawings must be of an anime character drawn in any non-anime style (this includes original styles that do not appear anime-based)
-Original characters are only acceptable if the style you normally draw them in is distinctly anime-oriented. Provide examples of what they normally look like and I'll tell you whether or not it's fair game
-Post enteries as links, any pictures posted right in the thread will be disregarded
-3 enteries max, you can replace drawings you've submitted with new submissions if you really need to
-Old art is fine as long as it meets the contest's criteria
-Any rating is acceptable, but if your entery is rated R+, please give warning in your post
-Don't worry about claiming characters or styles. You can draw whatever you want regardless of whether or not someone else has already had a similar idea.
-Deadline is May 10th

JUDGING
I will be doing the judging myself, and will be looking at the following factors:
*Does the character have dimension to it? Many anime characters appear very flat. Does your drawing look like the face is just pasted on it's head, or does it look expressive and alive? Could you imagine thise character as a three-dimensional object?
*Is the drawing dynamic? Is your character just standing there, boring, face-on, or is there something unique to it's stance? Does the character's pose portray their attitude well?
*Has the style been effectively changed? Does your character really look like it's been de-animed or does it still look pretty much exactly like it did before you started?
*Can you tell who the character is?In the process of changing the character's style did you warp it so much that you can't even tell who it's supposed to be, or does it remain recognizable?

PRIZES Very Happy
-First place gets a finished, coloured request from me of just about anything their little heart could possibly desire (exceptions would be things like involved comic pages or crowd scenes...)
-If I get enough enteries, second place will get a less complicated request.

Enteries thus far:
GollumDragon: Sesshoumaru, Haruko, OC
Touzoku-joou: Bakura
Celestial Wings: Ash
Rolla Roach: Inuyasha Cast

All right, that about covers it.... now go have fun!

And just to get the ball rolling, here are a couple examples of what I'm talking about.

::FAC::DA::Blog::LJ::
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sweet. 8D I like this idea. Maybe this'll be a little insentive to finish that Jounouchi picture. Though, it is pretty static... but I'd also like to finish it. So I'll start a new one. :3

This aside, lmao @ your goofy Yuugi.

edit: Actually, now that I come back to that picture, it's pretty terrible. Very Happy I'll just start fresh. Woo.
rolla_roach
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so entering this! I'd like to do Inuyasha Family Guy style, Entei the demon horse in Spirit style(anime animals count too, right?), and Toboe from Wolf's Rain in Fairly Oddparents/Danny Phantom style. Is that okay?

Shikamaru is my dog^^

Sit, Shika, sit. Good boy.
Squidman
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it is :D

Yay! Interest!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pabbit_da_Rabbit
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interest accounted for!

Ohoho, my pikachu looks so funny! - Which means I'm entering.
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time to make some new stuffz, so here's some oldies but goodies ^-^ (High five, I prefer more realistic art)

Anime Sesshomaru
My Sesshomaru

Anime Haruko (this one is fanart of a popular picture, too. I can't find the original online, I'll scan it later.)
My Haruko

Anime OC
Realistic OC
infurno
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting I may join this one.

could the Teen titans/Megas XLR/Ben 10 style cartoons be considered anime or are they american?
SpasticPenguine
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do a lot of non-anime based art so this is a nice challenge- and change. I'll see what I come up with and if it's postable Smile
Squidman
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animemaster2334 (Lindsay) wrote:
And you said you needed a few images of my character and how he normally looks eh? Well I have gotten a bit of a reputation with my OCs so I don't see why any normal forum member hasn't seen one of my characters at least once. Well whatever, rules are rules and I'm not one to go against that.

Maha Very Happy Oh, Lindsay. You know that with an S/n like "Animemaster" I wouldn't go arguing that your style isn't anime enough.

Quote:
could the Teen titans/Megas XLR/Ben 10 style cartoons be considered anime or are they american?

I'll allow it as long as the enteries look distinctly different from the style of the cartoons.

GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squidman (Kelly Turnbull) wrote:
And you said you needed a few images of my character and how he normally looks eh? Well I have gotten a bit of a reputation with my OCs so I don't see why any normal forum member hasn't seen one of my characters at least once. Well whatever, rules are rules and I'm not one to go against that.

Maha Very Happy Oh, Lindsay. You know that with an S/n like "Animemaster" I wouldn't go arguing that your style isn't anime enough.

I'm gonna get rid of this account soon and call myself IndagoFeather instead. I made up this name when I was new and I hate it now XP

Just to satisfy my curiousity/grammar-spelling-naziness, is indigo spelled wrong for a reason?
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it started out with me thinking that was how the word was spelled. Soon after it was written in stone on my dA account I found out it was spelled wrong ._.

Well, it makes it more unique no?
I like it as Indago, dunno why, it just sounds cool to me now, even if it is mispelled.

Hehe sounds like me and the many spellings of Sesshoumaru and Sesshy :P

(sry, back on topic W00t! )
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOKAY.

Is this acceptable?

Thief King looking very... non-anime. :3 I hope, anyway. It's a pretty static drawing, but I still rather like it.
celestial_wings
Newb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, is computer art accepted? (MS paint.)
Secondly, South Park characters don't have dimension. Would it be advisable to enter in a South Park picture? (I'm doing Ash from Pokemon as a South Parkie.)
Pabbit_da_Rabbit
Would like fries with that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celestial_wings () wrote:
First of all, is computer art accepted? (MS paint.)
Secondly, South Park characters don't have dimension. Would it be advisable to enter in a South Park picture? (I'm doing Ash from Pokemon as a South Parkie.)

Kinda same question that I have. See my avatar, Kelly? That's Lazlo-styled Pikachu, which I'm planning on doing. It doesn't exactly have dimensions if you've ever watched the show.
Squidman
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat-styled characters are fine too. Even when the characters are flat they still have proportion to them... Just look at Tim Biskup art.

Also, hurrah! More enteries!

rolla_roach
Still very bored

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there are more entries. This is an awesome contest ^^.

As for my entries, I have Entei all drawn out and have colored his mane and tail. All I have to do is shade the body. Also, I've done rough sketches of both Toboe and Inuyasha. I hope they turn out good. I'll have my Entei entry in by the end of this week, and Toboe and Inuyasha should be finished by the middle of next week.

Shikamaru is my dog^^

Sit, Shika, sit. Good boy.
IzumeSuenix
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I draw an Anime character in my own orginal Style? My style isn't anime related it's just that I am not sure if you would allow me to use my own style and not a cartoon show's style. I am gonna do an Cartoon character in My style Is that ok?
LexLuthorsVictimNJustAFriend
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you guys, a to find good examples for this type of contest, you should check out RosinEatingZombie.
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a right thread to post this.

hmm... I think I'll try tackling Ginko from Mushishi.
GollumDragon
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering where you went off to. That's pretty hawt Brainjh! I never expected you to try something like that!

RosinEatingZombies....I like them already, that's my favorite song to play on violin!!! XDXDXD
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Contests Archive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: