Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Writing Styles And Signature
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Writing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orlando_Hamar
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Yeah.
Anyway, this is just a place to post how you would describe your writing style and signature as a writer. We all have a style, but some of us don't have a signature. The more writing you've done, the more defined your style will be.

OWNED. For those who don't know what the hell I'm talking about OWNED.

A signature, I can describe easy. Like, how John Woo puts doves in every film he makes. That's his signature. What are yours?

As for the style, that is difficult to define, I must say. I suppose it's just how you describe things and what sets you apart from other writers as your own. Like, do you prefer to write dialogue, and focus a lot on character interaction, or do you prefer to focus on surroundings and things like that. Do you prefer to write fantasy/sci-fi, romance, history, anime...whatever? Do you prefer to write with linearity, explaining everything as you go; or non-linearity, creating twists and turns, and mysteries and whatnot.
Basically, but there's a LOT more to it.

And, if you think of yourself as an experienced writer, you probably should know all about this anyway.
Nilitac_Tesgrah
Oldbie

Location: Glaring at Google SketchUp for shutting down automatically. Again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to give the detail of the scene first, and there's always something in it that makes it unique.

My signature is the last name Tsegrah. Laughing It's in a lot of the things I've been working on recently. I also tend to put teeeeeeeeny hints to what has happened, in case the chapter itself is ahead of what's already happened. I'm odd like that...

In truth, a signature I use is using rather... foreign names. I use Japanese inspired names, like Shizuka, Chiko, and a few others I can't remember at the moment.

Everytime a n00b does something stupid - spams, harasses, refuses to read the rules - I hit my head on the desk. Please dun mack my poor noggin suffer drain bamage.
VincentValentine13
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good deal of my characters have British names, and there will usually be a name that starts with a V. However, I have started to enjoy putting little hints of Alice in Wonderland into a my more current works...

You Know You Love A French Prince!
Honjetan
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly enjoy making my characters speak as if they were in England. I don't know why, I just have a tendancy to do that. I also make some of them slightly less intelligent than what would be expected of them. I have a bad habit of naming my characters 'John' often, but I'm slowly getting rid of that habit. I'm not very good at scenery descriptions at all, but I'm trying to improve in that area. I do like a nice action sequence every now and then, though.
Orlando_Hamar
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Honjetan (Justin)"] I particularly enjoy making my characters speak as if they were in England... [/quote]
uhh...what?

(I'm from England, and fail to see what you mean. If you're referring to "posh", then there are more people in the US who speak posh than there are in the UK, I'm sure. And if you're gonna refer to my style of writing in a forum or whatever, then don't. Everyone I know, and probably me, too (although I am working on improving my speech) speak like retar- uhh...hmm...am I allowed to say that word here?
Anyway, you get my point.)
Honjetan
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't understand quite ALL of it, but I understood most of it.

What did you mean by, 'don't'?
Orlando_Hamar
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By that I meant:

...Then don't refer to my style of writing in forums and stuff.

What did you mean by the bit I quoted?

Am I sounding unfriendly? Sorry, I just read over the things I said, and I sound like (to quote Jesus) "...a right bastard!"
Honjetan
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, no, I was just a bit confused.

Not many people know what I speak of, and when I elaborate, it doesn't really help much, but I think you understand what I mean. This 'posh' migh the word for it, but I'm not exactly sure. That's fine though.
Orlando_Hamar
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.
Yeah, posh or upper class...something along those lines.

Out of interest, where are you from?
Honjetan
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt you'll find this strange...

I was from the PI (Philippines), but was born in JP (Japan).
Fade
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... My writing style and signature...

Well, When I write I have a tendancy to write discriptions of the character's and what they're doing, then switch to dialogue, then back to description, and so on. I'm trying to intagrate everything, but failing miserably. Also, even though I describe my characters one time in full detail I still weave small bits of there appearance into the story.

As for my sig... Umm... Original characters. I write alot of fanfics and almost all of them have OCs. Also, something people wouldn't notice with great detail unless they knew me well, All of my characters are either exagerated versions of certain facets of my personality or a more intense version of me. And I always try to bring mention to the orient if possible...
Orlando_Hamar
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Honjetan (Justin)"] No doubt you'll find this strange...

I was born in the PI (Philippines), but was born in JP (Japan). [/quote]
...I find it strange, alright. How can you be born in two countries?
Honjetan
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn my typos! I meant that my heritage is FROM the PI, but I was BORN in JP.
Fade
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Why I didn't mention it. Typos are evil.

As for what Justin mean's by "How the english speak" he could be refering to any English accent. Like... oh... say, Cockney. Doesn't really mean posh. And I do the same thing after reading alot of Sherlock Holmes stories.

Actually, that's another thing with my writing style, you can tell the (general) setting of the last story I've read by what accents my character's have...
Fayore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a signature because I don't do enough fiction writing for that. Style, however... I've been told that my writing tends to take on a rather poetic sort of style. Which makes me think, quite honestly, that they mean that my prose is too purple, or convoluted and difficult to read. Laughing Ah, well...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theWriter
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write like the world speaks, I guess. If anyone every quotes Hermingway (which they shouldn't Grr!) one of the one things he said that always has stuck in my mind was that the first sentence of your story should capture the reader right then and there. I always start with a somewhat random or out of place sentence and then eventually roll it into the introduction in a way that makes sense.

My signiture? I don't nessesarily like happy endings...meaning I try very hard to make some type of twist at the end...whether or not it is predictable is a different story. First person is my forte...Obviously, I can write in third but I don't think it's nearly as fun or personal to the reader. We can all relate more with a narrorator that speaks as we do, and reacts as we do.

[color=red][url=http://www.fanart-central.net/user-theWriter.php]What[/url] [url=http://untitledroadway.deviantart.com/] does[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1015309/] it all[/url] [url=http://www.fictionpress.com/~thetwilightpen] MEAN?[/url][/color]
VincentValentine13
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^_^ That true, it is easy to react, unless you're a guy reading something like Memoirs of a Geisha...then it gets a little difficult Laughing !

Still, I'm not too god at writing in First-Person. I'm more of a third, or, I'll just write out the thoughts of one character, instead of all of them, that way the intentions of the other characters are secret :ph34r: .

When I write, I try to include silliness into my stories, and especially my poetry. I'm all about nonsense, whether it be happy or morbid.

Fade
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Vincent is full of nonsense. Reminds me of Alice in wonderland, minus the nightmares I get. (I don't no why, but after seeing Disney's version I got nightmares for, like, a week)
VincentValentine13
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Fade: OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! Laughing Just messing with you! Anyway, I think the one thing that I would want to be remebered by in my stories would probably be a bitter-sweet ending

Orlando_Hamar
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fade (Renee D)"] Yes, Vincent is full of nonsense.  Reminds me of Alice in wonderland, minus the nightmares I get.  (I don't no why, but after seeing Disney's version I got nightmares for, like, a week) [/quote]
Rea-aly? I'm intrigued! Maybe I should watch it...although that would probably kill me. After that overhyped, educational dunderland: Disneyworld, anything with the Disney sign on it I avoid like the plague.

Anyway, time to tell people my styles! I'll begin with the signature, since that's easiest for me. EDIT...or...maybe it isn't.:unsure:

[u]Behold my writing style![/u]

I have a personal preferance for third person writing. That way, I can sort of narrate from all the characters' point of view, and when the reader enjoys one character's thoughts and stuff, that will keep the interested...as opposed to having a lot of stuff said from one guy who may or may not be appealing to them.
I also like sci-fi/fantasy. Call me a geek or whatever, but it's just so much easier to create your own worlds, boundaries and whatnot, and then simply create your story within them. Of course, since my current piece of writing is set on Mars, don't assume I needn't research on it. Gravity, the effects of terraforming, seas, mountains areas...you name it, and I actually have to research it. I guess I like to give the reader a feeling of connection to my world. And, as I tend to explain what happens between now and then, it feels that much more alive.
And, the most important part of my style: darkness. Happiness...pfft. Go to hell. My worlds are oppressive, my characters intimidating and deep (well...they might be...ask Megan, she enjoys my stuff), and they are always pissed off about [i]something[/i]. The light doesn't have much of an impact in my world, I guess. It's much more fun, when humor is involved, to make fun of dead people (e.g. "Wow, looks like someone had a tea-party with this guy...except it seems he wasn't the one doing the eating..."), and provoke a shocked response from someone, than it is to make light-hearted jokes just of a laugh.
EDIT: Oh, I always try to include major twists at the very end. Anyone who buys my book when it comes out, will never guess who the final final final baddie will be.

[u]Behold My Signatures![/u][list][*]I always write the prologue in first person[*]I always try to describe fights as vividly as possible[*]My good guys are the stereotypical bad guys, and vice versa[*]If I can do it believingly, I'll make humans the bad guys[*]I always include the Lecoda; half man, half cat hybrids. They're my personal creations, and they deserve to be in everything I write[*]Swords; nuff said[*]Female leads always have pierced bellybuttons...[*]I love to play around with insanity[*]I throw the reader right into the middle of my world, and explain it as the story progresses. Vampires, for example, I don't fully explain until the second third of the book.[/list:u]There may be more, but I can't think of many at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> General Writing Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: