Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Euthanasia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Stef
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euthanasia
n.
The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

Euthanasia is murder.

That is the debate topic. I hold no opinion on this. Or, more specifically, I can see both sides of this.

On one hand, you have a terminally ill person, not able to move on their own, hooked up to machines, barely able or not able to speak. This person needs to be taken care of by family. This person feels like a burden on their family, and feels that they are a source of depression and stress of having to be taken care of. Futhermore, this person is in pain, uncomfortable from forced feeding and hydration, or in pain from their illness. The medical equipment costs a lot of money, and lots of medical attention is directed at this person even though they know they will never recover.

This person's world is full of pain and uncomfort, and the feeling that they are nothing but a burden on their family. Should they pull the plug?

On the other hand, you have a terminally ill person, not able to move on their own, hooked up to machines, barely able or not able to speak. Being near their family brings them joy, and they deeply love their family and living. They are willing to put up with the uncomfort and pain as long as they are accompainied by someone. This person doesn't want to die. They are holding onto life with everything they've got.

The doctor wants to pull the plug, because [the doctor feels] the medical attention should be directed at people who could actually recover. The person who's life is in question can't give consent. What should the family do?

What is your postition on enthanasia?
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am for the availability of euthanasia, I strongly support for an option for euthanasia even though If I am a doctor, I would not use it in normal circumstances.

If it is a terminal illness where the patient wants to be put down through painless means, and the treatment is costing the state (LOL, Kaneda) thousands of dollars, yes, I support euthanasia.

But, if the patient has no consent and it is not a terminal illness that takes incredible burden on a country's budget, I would refrain from doing it, because you never know, and the status quo isn't costing too much.

I do not like the religious reason for euthanasia, particularly the Catholic one. If it is against God's wish to end someone life by artificial means, or less specifically, to meddle with longevity of someone else's life, then you probably shouldn't be for treating the person with drugs and hospital treatment in the first place, you should let God do it the natural way, if that is what you believe.
ErdeKaiser
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE YOU CAN JUST GUESS

NO MURDER ALLOWED.........................
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...The whole reason I had to get up from my nap tonight is to write a speech about this...

I support the thought of Euthanasia, and it's not just because the thought of a assisted suicide is something I'd probably help someone do if they asked. It's not murder if a person gives thier consent to the whole deal and such. If they have a serious disease, or even more so if it's a seriously painful disease.

Then there is the whole...money issue that comes with being sick. Sometimes it would be better to die after a few weeks rather than to live for 6 months in a hospital bed. Then die leave your family with an extensive debt.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fayore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErdeKaiser (Erde) wrote:
HERE YOU CAN JUST GUESS

NO MURDER ALLOWED.........................

Yeah, and? Where's your support? Give some facts and statements, not just a couple lines. This constitutes as spam otherwise.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bungakawa2000
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen my grandfather beg to be allowed to die, so I can't see how I could be against euthanasia. I certainly wish the question will be straightened out by the time I reach the age he was (if I ever do, of course).

However, I can also see how difficult it would be to legislate that kind of thing. There are some cases where it's crystal clear that 1) the patient is fully aware and conscious of his situation and what his decision entails and 2) there is exactly 0% things will get better. But what do you do when one or both of these criterias are not met? It is extremely dangerous to go with a definition akin to obscenity laws (i.e. "I know it when I see it") precisely because a wrongful euthanasia would be murder, the most serious of crimes.

Do we have anybody on these forums from one of the handful of countries that has legalized euthanasia? If so, how are things going on around your place?
August
Still very bored

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read the other opinions yet, nor will I say as much as I'd like to with this post due to sickness and fake nails, but-

I had to write a five page paper about this issue for my government class. I also had an in-class debate for about three hours. Even after hearing all of the information against Euthanasia, I still support it.

I don't know if any of you are aware or even care, but my uncle has been diagnosed with ALS. He is now so ill that he cannot walk, eat on his own, barely can talk, and can't even turn a page of a book. When a person has ALS, they are totally competent the entire time. They do not regress at all. Instead, their body turns on them and they lose their motor functions so they cannot move, speak, or do anything. Eventually, his lungs will stop working and he'll suffocate himself. There is NO cure for this disease. There has been an attempt to find a cure or delay the process through stem cell research. Many people have had a brain stem cell transplant done and lived longer, going back to their normal state and losing all of the symptoms of ALS. My uncle had the surgery done and NOTHING happened. He has exercised all of his options. Now he is suffering with nothing to look forward to aside from the relief of pain through death. He served as a police officer here in Michigan for his ENTIRE life. He has gone to church every Sunday and preformed community services on a regular basis. If he is competent and suffering with no way out, why can't he just die? It's not fair.

Many people argue that if people want, they can overdose or kill themselves on there own. My uncle could not commit suicide if he wanted to. Also, if everyone based Euthanasia laws on Oregon's Death With Dignity Act, seeing a physician will make sure that a person wanted to die.

I'm not feeling well so I'll come back to this later. Just some things to consider:

-Oregon's Death With Dignity Act
-People who are terminally ill, NOT emotionally ill.
-Some past cases about euthanasia
-Dr. Kevorkian (Dr. Death)
LunaticCrow
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sortof shortened version of Kate's post: It's inhumane to let someone live when they have a condition like ALS, moreso than "Forcefully Ending their life". Tell me, would you rather stare idly at a wall being unable to turn away and wait for someone to change your s**t filled pants or die?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol give me liberty, or give me life

there should be a small option for Euthanasia when you register to vote.

i wouldnt want to see anyone i love die slowly and painfully, physical pain or not. it would hurt me too much to have to watch something like that. So when i think of it from the other side, i wouldnt want to hurt my family that same way. having them watch me wither and die. nothing they could do for me.

I support stem cell research to. and my heart goes out to kate and her family. Sorry if this comes out wrong, but the bright side is we know the pain and wait won't last forever.
ErdeKaiser
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok......I just changed my mind........
Murder is when you kill someone no matter on their health conditon.
so this wouldn't be murder they're just ending suffering.
So they are completely two differnt things.

Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euthanasia is wrong

they say its humane but euthanasia is murder
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killaboy (Mr.Roboto) wrote:
euthanasia is wrong

You'd rather be kept forcefully alive under any and all circumstances, including the lost of practically all of your physical and mental capacities coupled with daily suffering with no hope of things ever getting better and against your own wishes of ending it all?
ErdeKaiser
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be pretty hard to live if you're suffering and in hope of not dying for the next year.....it could be ended in a second.
Euthansia is not murder........

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say euthanasia is murder but it is humane.

when you don't give any reason as to why, stuff like this happens.
killaboy
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungakawa2000 () wrote:
euthanasia is wrong

You'd rather be kept forcefully alive under any and all circumstances, including the lost of practically all of your physical and mental capacities coupled with daily suffering with no hope of things ever getting better and against your own wishes of ending it all?

no id kill myself the old fashoned way
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungakawa2000 () wrote:
euthanasia is wrong

What if you couldn't?
Fayore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungakawa2000 () wrote:
euthanasia is wrong

bungakawa2000
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier said than done. I have a vague feeling you're not quite conscious how debilitating some sicknesses are. Or just plain old age. And how good modern medicine is at keeping people alive at all costs.

ETA: I get it, I'm slow!
Violent_Sodomy
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was terminally to the point i could not move or do anything i would want to be humanely euthanized (with a guillotine).

I find it is the right hting to do if the terminally ill patient made the choice and noone else made it for them.

I know doctors, giving then chance, or hospusses would gladly euthanize a patient for an opening that a wealthy patient could fill...
MysticNight
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euthanasia. Personally, I am all for it. I think if someone is suffering, then why let them suffer? Why not relieve their pain? If you can not move, talk, see, hear, or feel, why live? It's an emtpy life. It is considered murder, but really. It's humane. It's relief. Not only is the life of the vicim empty, but imagine what the family is going through. Medical bills, possible lawsuits, loss of work, depression, wondering every day of their life if their baby girl is going to talk to them again or if their son is ever going to ride a skateboard again. it's torture to be alive in that state.

Bottom line. Euthanasia is humane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: