Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Saddam's Execution
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclipsedmoongoddess482
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Saddam's Execution Reply with quote

What did people think of Saddam Hussien's execution? Did anyone read about it yet?

Personally, I'm almost saddened by it. I recently saw pictures of him with the noose around his neck, ready for the plunge and you know what? At that moment, I didn't see a cruel power-mad dictator: I saw an old man with nothing.

It was a hard sight to watch, I'll admit. I'm not into the death penalty and this is exactly why. Did he have to die? He already had nothing and he was old. Why couldn't he have just spent the rest of his days in a jail cell, with nothing left but memories of the atrocities he's done to the world? Wouldn't that have been more effective than a quick execution?

Those are just my thoughts. This is where people can give their two cents about the execution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitzy
Super Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he much cared, really. He wasn't going to change.
He had hired and assassin to kill one of his sons at one point.

I don't think Saddam had any remorse, like a lot of the people who end up getting executed.
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why kill him? I mean, remorse or not, I still think its wrong however, if he had no remorse about his deeds then what was the point of killing him?

He should've just rotted in a jail cell for the rest of his life. I think over time, as a man who once had lots of power, the feeling of being stripped of all power would've gotten to him. Isn't that more effective than taking his life?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitzy
Super Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then why kill him? I mean, remorse or not, I still think its wrong however, if he had no remorse about his deeds then what was the point of killing him?

He should've just rotted in a jail cell for the rest of his life. I think over time, as a man who once had lots of power, the feeling of being stripped of all power would've gotten to him. Isn't that more effective than taking his life?

Jail isn't supposed to be just punishment, it's also for rehabilitation.

Serial killers, psychopaths and other people with serious mental disorders have no remorse, and they're the ones who end up being put on death row. They can't be rehabilitated because they don't understand that what they've been doing is wrong. They just do it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddam's execution was one of the worst tactical mistake US ever made:

then again, it wasn't the US court or the US gov't that decided on the execution, so whatever.

After his death, Saddam is now the martyr for non-Kurd Sunni causes. These Sunnis now has more reasons to support their insurgents and add fuel to the civil war. As of now, they are being prosecuted by the Shites in some extent now Iraq is democratic. Democracy is Tyranny of the majority, and Shites, who are the majority, are running the Iraqi government. When the Iraqi government falls, Iran will enter to protect the shites and Saudi Arabia-Jordan will enter to protect the sunnis. This might trigger an Arab-Persia world war.

And the kicker is China gets most of their oil from Iran, while US gets most of their oil from Saudi Arabia. I'll be surprised if this thing actually triggers the world war III, but damn.
eclipsedmoongoddess482
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! Someone who agrees that it was a dumb move. You have an excellent point regarding his death. He could be a martyr now and thus, people will be motivated to fight to avenge him. It happened in the French Revolution when that newspaper writer got stabbed to death in his bathtub. It could happen again.

And I remember reading a lot about how the US wasn't involved in the execution so its really a mistake on the Iraqi Government or whoever was in charge at the time's mistake. A lot of people are saying "Well if the US was involved it would've been done differently!"...Yeah, and why does that even matter? The man is already dead. Why even like sweat about that now?
slet
Still very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These kind of discussion used to be so much better here. What a shame.

Anyways, all executions are wrong. Even those of dictators like Saddam. And the way it was done was without respect and rather unprofessional and stupid. America shouldn't have allowed Saddam to be tried by an Iraqi court. Should've been done in the international court in The Hague.
eclipsedmoongoddess482
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It stinks when noone wants to contribute anymore. Sad

Anyway, I totally agree with you. Its great to hear that someone else agrees that execution is wrong. And yeah, it was done poorly. All those pics and videos being released by guards at the time. I mean, who was there to like keep an eye on that? I mean, at least it could've been more humane than hanging. Aren't we like in the 21st century now? Haven't we evolved from using such prehistoric killing techniques such as hanging? I thought the leathal injection would be good enough.

I just think it was ridiculous. I know he was a bad man but bad man or not, everyone deserves a death with dignity.
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As a warning to other power-mad, murdering, ruthless dictators. We missed our chance with Hitler 'cause he wouldn't let us have that opportunity.

I'm largely in favor of the death penalty, btw. Call be cold-hearted, but I say we should just get hard-core criminals the hell outta here, not be paying for their bed and three square meals a day.
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, nobody deserves death for punishment no matter what their crime. And theese bastards just executed them, i mean they arent the one to make the choise of who gets to live and who gets to die. Who are they to judge Saddam this way? its not fair.

[ Profile | Gallery | YouTube ]
p.s. Leaving FAC. See ya'll.
slet
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhonenfreak wrote:
Quote:

As a warning to other power-mad, murdering, ruthless dictators. We missed our chance with Hitler 'cause he wouldn't let us have that opportunity.

I'm largely in favor of the death penalty, btw. Call be cold-hearted, but I say we should just get hard-core criminals the hell outta here, not be paying for their bed and three square meals a day.

that's quite an oblivious statement. Did you know that simple research has proven that sentencing someone to death, putting him on death row and executing him, is more expensive then life inprisonment?So you're actually paying more with the death penalty on the bastards.

Last edited by slet on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought the leathal injection would be good enough.

Lethal injection is only easier on those who administer/witness it. Due to inadequate sedation, many people executed this way die with extreme pain and by suffocation while paralyzed. That could be somewhat remedied by reform of the technique requirements...but since when have american prisons been any good at successful reform.

Hanging, when it goes well, is a quick broken neck. If not, the person suffocates, but lethal injection has the same problems.

I didn't see Saddam's eyes pop, so I assume he dropped nicely.
slet
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

being shot is proly the most quick and painless qay to go. 9 bullets in your head is pretty instant death.
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst desision ever. It may just start WW3. And I don't suport the death penolty BECAUSE there are things much worse then death. Death is an easy way out for people like saddam.
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst desision ever. It may just start WW3. And I don't suport the death penolty BECAUSE there are things much worse then death. Death is an easy way out for people like saddam.
Nilitac_Tesgrah
Oldbie

Location: Glaring at Google SketchUp for shutting down automatically. Again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I kind of think that if he had been allowed to live, he would have used what little influence he had to get his way and get out of jail.

But that's just me. Don't flame me.

Everytime a n00b does something stupid - spams, harasses, refuses to read the rules - I hit my head on the desk. Please dun mack my poor noggin suffer drain bamage.
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osama is next.

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
KeheiZero
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can be found.
ragingflea002
Oldbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, I kind of think that if he had been allowed to live, he would have used what little influence he had to get his way and get out of jail.

But that's just me. Don't flame me.

Good, that's what should've happened.
Sorry, but he was an extremely effective dictator. He was the minority, and he ruled the majority with an iron fist. He eliminated his opposition and maintained total control. Not gonna say that's how things should be, but it kept Iraq out of our hands.
We go in for the oil. National security my ass. Not even Bush can convince America otherwise.
He had a shitty personality, but he could fuckin' rule that country.
SilverKitsune
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His bad points outwiegh the good.
A good dictator just like hitler.
Do you think hitler should have lived and
left alone to do as he pleased?
Saddam had a child killed by his father
cause the little boy didn't bow to him.
Saddam was a power hungry man.

xAmiDarkfieldx wrote:
"Your a bird, I'm a cat of the jungle. Birds can't get pregnant last I checked. They lay eggs."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: