Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Favorite Author
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i have always loved Anne Rice to the max. The way she writes is a lot like mine i think. I tend to describe things like her, and i don't do no half assed short stories. I explain things, but not so much it gets boring and it still leaves room for other stories, sequels and all sorts.

If you've read Anne Rice, then you know how she will do this, she will explain one character in a book a lot, the main character, to some degree, but the other characters she leaves open in some way to add on and continue it in other stories. For those other smaller characters to explain who and what they are, why they are and such.

I love reading, i'm big into mythology and ancient civilizations. If it's egyptian, i like it, if it about how the first cities in the world, large and some what civilized, came about and all that good stuff.

So what do you like, who do you like and why?

Just wondering. Haven't heard anyone say really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zeowolf777
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the author of the book "Blue Hole"(His name is like F.D Gearino.Because he can put one dead character into an important character! Very Happy
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm that's a tough decision, so can I say two?

Philip Pullman, author of the [i]His Dark Materials[/i] series and the Sally Lockhart series. Not only are his stories amazingly imaginative, but they are also so well-written. His descriptions are detailed, but not boring or too lengthy. And the characters he creates are deep and very real, so that by the end of the books you feel like you've met them in real life.

Terry Brooks, author of the Shannara Series and lots of others. I just love these books (as i've posted before in other threads)! they're so complex and fanciful, they draw you in from the beginning and don't let go (haha i sound like a movie critic). His descriptions can be a little tedious at times, but most of the writing is very good. His characters are very smart and cool, so that you wish you could meet someone like that in real life.

I love fantasy and sci-fi, as well as myths and fairy tales (i scare everyone by telling them the real stories behind the disney movies, like how the Little Mermaid committed suicide). I also love mythology and ancient civilations, Lasher! I love Egyptian mythology and stories, but I'm especially into Greek mythology. I don't know why, but it's always fascinated me. (haha it's fun telling people the real stories of Hercules and Zeus, too, not just the disney version).
ChrisFox
Has No Life

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh. I have a list of 'em. Though that's including a number of nonfiction authors as well. Books are like music with me, I don't have a specific genre I especially 'LOVE' nor do I have a favorite author, at least I don't think I do. There's waaayy too many good ones out there who all write so differently. I think I'll start with the obvious:

Tolkien, and I'm not just talkin' The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. His short stories rock. Smith of Woototon Major, Farmer Giles of Ham, Sir Gawain and The Green Knight... I get lost very easily in his works.

C.S. Lewis- The Chronicles of Narnia. A must read for all, I say. Young or old.

John Steinbeck- In Dubious Battle, The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath (Last two are a given) Gotta love a guy who writes from experiences.

H.G. Wells can be pretty good, though I'm not really into his style of writing. The material is great, though. War of the Worlds, Island of Dr Moreau, blah blah blah, you know, the classics.

Ray Bradbury- Farenheit 451 another must read for all. Censorship, bad!

John Swift- Gulliver's Travels. Very very good satire/children's book/adventure story all wrapped up in one. Silly Laputians...

Friedrich Nietzsche- Awesome philosopher

Michael Moore- Just plain hilarious

George Carlin- Who didn't see this coming?

Ok, that's enough (Though plenty more where that came from, I assure you). I'm probably boring you all to death by now.
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yes Michael Moore is great! My dad loves his books but i havent been able to read them yet (eep i have no time Sad )- but i've read some of his stuff online and seen him in interviews.

lol Gulliver's Travels- what a random reference! (don't get me wrong, i love those stories!!! i just havent heard anyone talk about them in years)

and CS Lewis- i LOVE narnia (ahhh memories of watching The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in like 1st grade...), but i was surprised to find that he'd written an adult series, also. i'm not sure what the series is called (it's a trilogy, i think) but i read the first book, called Out of the Silent Planet. it was pretty good- very imaginative.

oooo and i have to read Farenheit 451- ACK so many books to read i'll be old before i finish.... hehe i'll get a job where i don't actually have to do anything so i can sit around and read all day....
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And that's why they call me thumper!" a.k.a thumper, the rabbit from bambi the disney movie.

(my next drawing i've now decided, thanks again chris!)

Hmmm, wow, what a list you guys put up there.

I read a lot of history books on ancient civilizations, i love books on egypt and such. I never remmeber the authros of those things though, they're always some professor from oxford though so that's all i need to know i guess. I'm not much for the lord of the rings book and harry potter like a lot of people my age are or have a least tried. The movies are great but i can't read the books for some reason. And i don't go to hte library, i hate them. They aren't very inviting and i like to own my books. It's something about me, i can't have a used book, i have to buy it new and try and keep it in good shape. (try) *coughs*

I plan on taking a trip to borders, my favorite book story after christmas and buying myself at least 4 new books. It's been hell lately for me, and i new a reward, but i have to wait until after christmas, i'm broke as it is. And who knows, maybe, just maybe someone will get me book or two for christmas. I saw this gorgous book on world ancient history, a whole thing, that is a complete record of ancient empires around the world, in order by who was first and last to fall, and by religion and beliefs and all that good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww bambi was such a sad movie

ooo that book world ancient history sounds coooooooool!

eh i'm not so into lotr, either- the story is great, but the writing style is too boring and tedious (that's why i love the movies). i like harry potter, tho, just not in that ultra-obsessive way a lot of people do.

i love borders, too! my dad is so cool- he knows i love it and never knows what to get me so every xmas i just get a big gift certificate to borders!! i can't wait- there are several books (and manga) that i want, too. but i am also broke b/c all my money is going to other people's presents. ooo well

good luck i hope you get some good books for xmas, lasher!!! Very Happy
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks BAMF, just one ot two good books would make my day. I hope to get either books or gift card for borders, or art supplies or gift card for michael's (art store by me)

I would love that one book though, i doubt my mom remembered it though, lol.
lucien_aristis
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I assumed your favourite author was Anne Rice, Lasher. She's definately my top author. I'm willing to trudge 1/2 an hour in the sun to the nearest Book Exchange weekly to see if they got any more of her books in. I just brought "Conversations with Anne Rice" Pretty good book, gives alot of insight to her as an author. I'm have a thing with Book Exchanges... I'm going there 2morrow. Gonna help the lady sift thru the endless piles looking for Rice books... I feel like such a nerd. Book exchanges r cozy lil places thou...I like it in there. Actually, my friend just brought me Pandora n Vittorio on Sunday. I can't believe she'd spend that much on me... thats like... $60 on books...

ATM, I'm reading the Vamp. chronicles... Tale of the Body theif. I've read it about... hmmn... 4 times now. My favourite books of hers are Cry to Heaven and The Vampire Lestat. And Queen of the Damned. So much better than that dodgy excuse for a movie. I haven't come to reading the Mayfair chronicles yet... I'm a bit lazy right now. Who're your favourite characters of hers?

I absolutely love Lestat. I think everyone does thou. He's got such charisma. And well, you can tell Anne Rice also loves him... she put so much into his character... but then again I believe she based him on Stan Rice... he must have been quite the individual.

I also love Louis, he's such a sad character... Gabrielle is also a favourite of mine, pity she doesn't pop up too much thou. Armand was a favourite of mine, for a while... don't like him to much thou. I like Lestats friend Nicholas, but well, that ended tragicaly didn't it? Tonio from Cry to Heaven is also my favourite character. He's just below Lestat on my ranking ladder. So conflicting he was... oh well, I think I have blabbered on enough here.

Other than Anne Rice, I like Tolkein and JK Rowling. She's got such a light hearted way of writing... Oh well, I'm off. Cheers,
-Lucien
TenthDivine
Canhas uzertitle nao?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, of course I love Anne Rice, but lucien aristis, your friend spent $60 on Vittorio and Pandora? Unless they were the hardback, they shouldn't have cost that much, I guess.

Oh, and I've recently taken a liking to Elizabeth George and her detective novels and Sheri S. Tepper. I read the Visitor. It was very interesting, indeed
lucien_aristis
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's approximately $30 per book give or take a dollar. I live in Australia, so I guess maybe the prices are different. **runs off to check books** damnit. Only written in pounds. But in general, her books are above $25 here. Her newest Vamp. chronicle Blackwood Farm cost me $45 hardback. **cries** I never have any money!

My friend absoluely loves Sheri S Tepper. She's got a ton of her books, I cant remember which ones thou. Oh well, ahhhh. The dawn is upon me. I need caffine now. I have been online for too long. I think I might go to bed now... 5:23in the AM. Well, I'm signing off soon. Cheers,
-Lucien
Drusilla_Evil_vamp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like enyone who does Angel(tv serise) books
Alearea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b][i]Anne Rice, R.L.Stine (lol j/k) and Amelia Atwater Rhodes[/i][/b]
iamem0tionless
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to read a book by Anne Rice, but I've never been sure which to read first... any suggestions?

Some of my favorite authors are

-JK Rowling (Yes, I am a Harry Potter freak :-X )
-Terry Brooks (I've only read one of his books, but I have more... I just haven't gotten around to reading them)
- Marion Zimmer Bradley (I've only read part of "The Mist of Avalon", but I just love the book so far Very Happy )
- Sherwood Smith
- Tamora Pierce
- Lurlene McDaniel
- Alice Seabold
- Caroline B. Cooney

Yea... I love books. I miss reading like I used to...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lucien_aristis
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she has alot of good books to read. There's the Vampire chronicles, the mayfair witches trilogy, the beauty trilogy (I think it's a trilogy...) and then theres numerous other books of hers not in series...

Vampire Chronicles (in order of publication)
-Interview with the Vampire
-The Vampire Lestat
-The Queen of the Damned
-The Tale of the body theif
-Memnoch the devil
-Pandora
-Vampire Armand
-Vittorio, The Vampire
-Merrick
-Blood & Gold
-Blackwood farm

Mayfair Trilogy
-The Witching hour
-Lasher
-Taltos

Beauty Trilogy (under the name A. N Roquelaure)
-The claiming of Sleeping beauty
-Beauty's punishment
-Beauty's release

Other books not in series...

--->The Feast of All Saints
--->Cry to Heaven
--->The mummy: Or ramses the damned
--->Servant of the bones
--->Violin

Under the name Anne Rampling
-Exit to Eden
-Belinda - Anne Rampling

It depends on what kinda story your after.... like, if you like long series the Vamp. chron. is real good, I'm working my way through that... I've heard the mayfair trilogy is quite good too. I haven't read her Beauty trilogy thou... so I can't comment on that...the good thing about her is most of her books intertwine with each other. Like theres a group called the Talamasca (sp?) and they are in the Mayfair chronicles (I haven't read them, but I'm sure they are in there... ) but they also pop up in the Vampire Chronicles. Theres other things aswell, but I can't think of them at the moment...

I liked her book Cry to heaven aswell, but there is lots of... homosexual stuff in there. So, obviously not everyone will like it. It's a good story other than that. About revenge and eunich's in Italy. Well... uhh... sorry I rambled on. I didn't really help you here... Sorry. Cheers,
-Lucien
DG-sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess there are a lot of Anne Rice fans here, ne? I've just starrted reading her books myself, I'm up to "Tale of the Body Thief" in her Vampire Chronicles.

But anyway besides Anne Rice here are my favorite authors:

Orsen Scott Card (He is my god for writing "Song Master" a very powerful story that everyone should read. I've read that book oh... prolly about 17 times so far... my paperback version is so worn out now that the cover fell off)

Terry Brooks (The Shannara series is great, 'specially The Sword of Shannara another book worn so much it's falling apart)

Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (these two write most of the major Dragonlance novels. Dragonlance being the absolute best fantasy series under the sun)

Robert Aspirin (His books are fantasy on crack truly, they're that insane, and he makes the most amusing characters)

Well those are my favorites ^^

God damn you signature WORK!
iamem0tionless
How can I get a custom title thing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you did help me. Now I know which ones are hers! Anywho, I've been really wanting to read the Sleeping Beauty series, I just can't find it anywhere...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BAMFManiac
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o i've always wanted to read some of anne rice's stuff, too, so thanks so much for the list- that really helps!

why does she publish under 3 names?
lucien_aristis
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**shrugs** I have no idea y she's published under 3 names. But the ones not under Anne Rice were published in the... mid 80's sometime. Between Interview and Lestat. I think... >_> <_< I'm reading a book called 'Conversations w/h Anne Rice' Lots of stuff about Interview and how much trouble they had when trying to make it a movie. She sold the rights to it in about 1975-76 the same year it was published, but all this s**t happened and it didnt get made til 1994-5. Well, uhh... that was some useless info for ya. Sorry if I'm wrong on or anything... I'm pretty sure thats how it went... Cheers,
-Lucien
blu_tasogare
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else read books by Diana Wynne Jones? I love her books!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Other interests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: