Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Welcome to Fanart Central 2.0
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Welcome to Fanart Central 2.0 Reply with quote

Well over a year in development this new FAC comes with far more than just a new layout. It's a full core rebuild of the site with lots of new features.

A newsletter will be available soon with a detailed article on the new features, but here are some of them at a glance.

* Brand new color-scheme and design of the website. Specially selected bold, neutral colors have been used purposefully to help display your work off the screen giving it extra depth.
* New rating system to better allow people to filter content by their preferences.
* Images can now be submitted in over 90 file formats and are automatically converted as appropriate.
* Category selection is now much easier with a better select box when submitting work.
* No more picture lists. All pictures are now thumbnails and can be filtered and sorted according to your preferences. Same goes for the stories.
* Fanfiction file uploads should work better now and fanfiction also can be submitted via a text box with BB code formatting or a Java applet with formatting controls.
* Fanfiction also gets a new browsing system and the recent stories feature has returned.
* In most places on the site (comments, picture/story/profile descriptions), you will not find BB code based formatting buttons and a spell check feature.
* Search engine has been redesigned. I hope this interface will work better
* Pictures of the hour are no more. Instead selected good pictures will be featured on the front page. A random pictures page is also available for those who want more.
* Profile's now look much nicer with favorite pictures thumbnailed, thumbnails of your top pictures, the addition of blog support, and the ability to feature any one of your pictures as your best work. You also get to have an avatar on the main site now.
* By editing your profile you can now change a wide variety of preferences.
* You can now receive notifications when your favorite artist submits a new picture or story.
* New forums. phpBB now instead of Invision.
* This new version should be faster -- epically at peak hours. But, expect it to be slow at first as the system is tweaked and the thumbnails rebuilt to fit the new colors.

Because of this major rating system change, everyone should check that their pictures are rated appropriately under this new system and adjust them as necessary. Everyone should also edit their profiles and adjust their rating preferences there too.

This was a huge amount of work, and I couldn't have done it without the help of the site helpers, beta testers, and all the members who have given suggestions to improve the site.

There are still more features planned that I couldn't get finished fast enough, so watch for more new features in the coming months.
CrazyBoi
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, u made it phpbb? What happened to IPB I like IPB better <Sad
Squidman
Very Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sir, you have just blown my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TK421
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, the site looks fuckin' amazing : D
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are problems but its comming along.
CrazyBoi
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sig don't work, Avatar don't work, sometimes won't load. Hope these gets fix!
Kitzy
Super Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a welcome change, just as long as it starts working a little more smoothly...
I know you guys have been working hard on it =)
Wandering_Wolf
Newb

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's awsome.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still lots of problems... the conversion and transfers between servers seem to be buggy or something... Also, with all the people getting on and looking, everyone downloading the new files and images and stuff, it's all stressing the server.

Denis is doing everything in his power (and serious lack of sleep) to get it fixed up as soon as possible. It's a slow process but all will be sorted in no time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TK421
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CrazyBoi"]Sig don't work, Avatar don't work, sometimes won't load. Hope these gets fix![/quote]

They just switched over today >: (

and they're all working their arses off Evil or Very Mad

Well done to all FAC slaves
Kitzy
Super Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the changes were happening today, but when I came on here earlier I noticed all the problems with loading and the forums themselves. Is it because the server can't handle the amount of people, or is it because of some formatting errors?
layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Denis said there are many problems but it's coming along. All the lil bugs and such you encounter will be fixed soon enough. Denis is working hard to get everything done. But he's only human. Smile
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everybody...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoaringKitty
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm..... To be honest, the new version sounds nice, but I miss the old layout. I think it's because I liked the bright colors where you could actually see the text and..........

I can't comment on my best friend's picture, even though its one of the featured ones, because the wretched system says I have to agree to the rules first! When I'm ALREADY LOGGED IN!!!! Banghead Oh, and I miss the old emoticons.....

But mostly, I miss the bright colors. and I'm sure that everything will be sorted out tomorrow, and in the meantime, I can e-mail Shoujoneko and tell her how much I love her picture.

Edit: Uh-oh.... before I get flamed can I just say that with the program, I just realized the it will take a while for the servers and crap to reconize me?
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some font colors may be changing (it took me a while to find my "view gallery" and other links 8D), but otherwise... I like, I like. :3 The darker colors make it easier to view. Less eye-strain and such.

And hurrah for high-quality featured pics! Very Happy

*will miss her postcount*

Thanks for all this, Denis. Smile! It's awsm.

EDIT: By the way, do the forums still have the sandbox option? *fears the potential spam*
Shiloh
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna miss the old Fanart Central. But I seem to have problems with this new one, it took much longer to get on than normal. Oh well, anyways, I guesss this new one is awesome Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TellBell

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isnt going to be a count on how many reviews you give anymore? Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

I had a goal to someday be the person who posts the most comments Sad

my dream is dead...

anyways....i cant wait to see the site when its all done Smile
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dream is more real than ever. Fallenangel had 10,000 posts.. you weren't going to beat that, ever. That took several years to build up and she's still posting now.

Now we're at ground zero together, you have more chance.
Fayore

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they meant picture/story comments on the mainsite.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ogrim_Doomhammer
Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I never thought you were changing the forums, I don't like it as much, starting all from scratch.... at least in the main site we don't lose the pics
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: