Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
So. About these featured pictures.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: So. About these featured pictures. Reply with quote

What exactly is the criteria for featured pics? I always thought of them as being FAC's equivalent of dA's "Daily Deviation". I always thought they were chosen by quality.

Well, let's just say that this theory has been killed.

So what [i]is[/i] the criteria, if it isn't skill?
TK421
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was by quality too Confused

Some of them, I feel, should not have been in there and I saw some recent pics that were good enough to take there place.

Who chooses them ???
Chibi-chan
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they have some kind of program that choses them randoomly but who knows... Confused
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that was the old "Pics of the hour". I know for a fact that somebody chooses these personally.

Oh, speaking of coices, I'd like to see more variety featured. James is a great artist, but he's had 2 features already. :/ Let's expose some other people?
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I'd like to see more variety featured. James is a great artist, but he's had 2 features already.[/quote]
*insert shameless self-plug here* (rofl)
I uploaded a drawing last night, but I'm on auto, so the AP never saw it.

I suggest that, in order for a picture to be featured, it must be nominated for that by at least TWO different site staff members.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy and paste from the staff discussion about this:

-- If featuring human or humanoid characters, must show a high level of anatomical knowledge. If stylized, it must be clear that the distortions were intentional and based on a knowledge of proper anatomy, not just mistakes/lack of skill excused as "style". This includes the "contour anime" where it's just outlines that sorta kinda almost look like a human body with no actual structure.

-- If featuring animals/creatures, they should be clearly built on structure. A bit harder to see right off than humans, but most people know what a horse is supposed to look like. Fantasy creatures should show some level of structure, even if it's made up. Everyone has seen amazing concept art where the musculature and skeleton are obvious vs some kid's monster doodle that's just...a monster doodle.

-- if greyscale, light source should be consistent and well rendered. The tools should be used effectively [see below]

-- if color...and I know this isn't going to be followed, but I'll say it anyway... at least a competent level of color theory knowledge should be displayed. Including light source, reflected color, and palette choice. Meaning...not default colors with random highlights.

-- If traditional, a strong understanding of the medium should be obvious. I like to think everyone can see a good acrylic painting vs a bad one, but I'm starting to doubt that. That doesn't mean every traditional piece featured has to be of the level of the Dutch masters, but it should be outstanding for its intent. If the intent is to be realistic, it should be really realistic. If it's simplified cartoony, the colors should be smooth, any lines confident, and so on. All this applies in addition to the subject criteria above.

-- If digital, should show a high level of skill in the given style and NOT display any of the following: Obvious use of dodge/burn to shade, shaky/jagged lines, obvious smudge tool to blend, excessive use of straight airbrush, lensflare and other god awful shortcut filters, over saturated color that shouldn't be.

-- Should show an overall stellar effort and quality. We don't need new featured pictures every hour, nor does every picture that doesn't completely suck need to be featured. It should be the very best of what we have, and sure, maybe that drastically limits which artists will get to be featured for awhile, but that's all the better. It should be something to strive for and a reward for people who only submit great work instead of every crappy doodle they do. I don't think the Rob thing I have up there now is feature worthy. It's not the best. Just less crappy than what was there at the time.

And yes, they're chosen by hand. By staff. Right now it's a bit difficult with some thumbnail issues. I'm not gonna spend forever trying to get through 13 pages of doodles to find the one good submission of the day if the thumbnails won't load.

As for "feature more people"...sorry, just like "Artist of the month", there's only so many great artists and a whole bunch of second tier. For now, we're only featuring the best of the best. If that means some pieces stay there a few days, that's the way it is. Some have stayed too long, but again...thumbnail issues. Every time I went to get that damn RK picture off there, the thumbnails wouldn't load and I said screw it.

However. The feature requirements [i]are[/i] going to be very high. They're FAC's very best, not "some pretty good stuff from today".

I believe the submissions you're referring to are misclicks. Wink The button to feature pictures is right by some other ones. There will, obviously, be some variation in quality for what is featured depending on who chooses it (my standards are extremely high, just sayin'), but they should be good overall. If something is really terrible, it was an accident. Probably.

EDIT: And...not to name names...I hope everyone can be big boys and girls and not cry when their pretty pictures aren't featured. Some relatively well knowns aren't as good as they seem to think they are. Tough.
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fallenangel"]
As for "feature more people"...sorry, just like "Artist of the month", there's only so many great artists and a whole bunch of second tier. For now, we're only featuring the best of the best. If that means some pieces stay there a few days, that's the way it is. Some have stayed too long, but again...thumbnail issues. Every time I went to get that damn RK picture off there, the thumbnails wouldn't load and I said screw it.[/quote]

I'm not really asking for multiple features a day or anything. Especially on FAC, where a good submission is so rare. Just... different artists. It there haven't been any good recent submissions for a few days, maybe feature some older artwork on the site that deserves some exposure?

[quote]I believe the submissions you're referring to are misclicks. Wink The button to feature pictures is right by some other ones. There will, obviously, be some variation in quality for what is featured depending on who chooses it (my standards are extremely high, just sayin'), but they should be good overall. If something is really terrible, it was an accident. Probably.[/quote]

I sure hope it was an accident. I want to see it be rid of. :< It's like a stain upon the front page.

[quote]
EDIT: And...not to name names...I hope everyone can be big boys and girls and not cry when their pretty pictures aren't featured. Some relatively well knowns aren't as good as they seem to think they are. Tough.[/quote]

People actually bitched about that? How pathetic. 8D
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I'm not really asking for multiple features a day or anything. Especially on FAC, where a good submission is so rare. Just... different artists. It there haven't been any good recent submissions for a few days, maybe feature some older artwork on the site that deserves some exposure? [/quote]

For now, featured pictures are listed based on submission time (so they're bumped off when newer pictures are added). So an older picture, if featured, wouldn't display.

And the different artists thing is fine, but it all depends on who's submitting what and when. That's why I said...some artists who overestimate their skills are, I'm predicting, going to get their panties in a twist when their submissions are never featured. Sometimes 4 amazing pictures will be uploaded in a day. Sometimes none. Because FAC is so much smaller than the likes of DA, it can't be helped that some artists will get multiple features if they submit on a regular basis. It's easy for DA to spread the love because there's such a huge pool of outstanding stuff (even if it's just "stuff the staff thinks is cool" and lousy stuff is chosen now and then). Here...not so much.

But the point is to highlight the very best. If something great is submitted, we'll feature it. It's not like there's amazing stuff sitting there unfeatured while crap stuff is chosen, there just...isn't that much there to choose from. Better to have higher standards and a smaller pool to choose from than lower the standards and lose the point.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about my suggestion? To require featured pics be chosen by two staff members and not just one. Get different opinions on the same pic.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think that wasn't needed, that it's quite obvious what is of high quality and what isn't, but given some of the genuine features so far...couldn't hurt.
TK421
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Fallens big ass post exlpained it.

[quote]People actually bitched about that? How pathetic. 8D[/quote]

People, in general, bitch about way too much shit Evil or Very Mad
layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently a picture in the featured images that I think was featured by accident. I HOPE it was featured by accident. It will be removed shortly.

And strata yes. We really need more than one opinion on featured images. I think so far there have been like 5 i agreed with.......3 were stolen. Smile
Blade
Still very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do mods see these pics? When they are approving them? If so, is there any hope for us artists who do not get our pictures approved and have them automatically put up?
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we go through the recent submissions as well, not just AP, because it's true a lot if not most of the best artists are already on automatic approval.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The faves watchlist also comes in handy (for example, I keep an eye on Lizkay).
Trinity_Fire
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think you guys need to be more careful about the featured pics... watchlists on artists are really nice, and I don't think you guys should feature the first pic an artist submits... There's nothing worse than putting up a featured pic, then discovering that it's stolen. . . . .;

You should look at the artists some. Not to be judgemental or insulting, but typically, good artists are mature and can talk in coherent sentences with proper grammar. There are exceptions, I know, but still, for the vast majority...
Keep an artist on the watchlist, see if they can keep up with a steady stream [if perhaps slow, as I know good work can take a while] of good pics, that show the same level of skill and same type of style.
Also a good tip is to see if they take requests. If you're an art thief, it'll be hard to slip past that one. [Though, because of fanart's :ahem: youngsters demanding their OCs be drawn, lots of good artists refuse them anyways....]
Just be on the lookout.
Maybe I'm just too wary of art thieves... >>;
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way some of the non-staff can make suggestions? I'm no Raphael, but I still have good taste and see the occasional piece that I think would deserve a feature.

You know, like how dA has DD suggestions.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can always PM a site helper with the pic's URL and they'll look into it.

(But no guarantees.)
Blade
Still very bored

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a place for user chosen pics, as opposed to just the staff. Though i can see potential poblems with that. Maybe a fourm for users recomending pics.
Touzoku-joou
Oldbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is anybody going to DO anything about that stolen featured picture? It's really pissing me off. And it's been reported by a lot of people, I'm sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: