Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
All Users Please Read!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this has been brought up before, and Lasher is going to send out a mass email about it soon, but just read this please.

ALL original characters will eventually be in the original>characters section. All of them. Whether it's an RP character, character from your original story, or just a random character, they are to go in the original>characters section. So please stop whining when you get a rejection notice telling you to put them there.

Yes, it's inconvenient, but those other categories (such as Artist's Character or Random Character) still exist because there's over 2000 pictures in them. That takes a long time to move. Once the sections are all set up, Lasher will send out an email asking you all to move your own work into the appropriate original>characters subcategory (you could do that now, even).

So please, yes I know it's annoying to have to move your picture when those other categories are technically correct, but just work with us here. It'll be much easier to find things in the end, if all the original characters are in ONE place.

Thank you.
ragingflea002
Oldbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note taken. Thanks Fallen. I'll do that now.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reminder to the category cleanup people of the "move category" and "murge with parent" features.

Used together they can combine any categories together
Lexar
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. I had a lot of pictures to move.
isami
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want Artist Character moved to original as well?

Man, 2000 pictures. X__x If I could help you guys, I definately would. That must be a pain. Good luck. Gonbatte. XD

-Isa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DaBear
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finnished moving them....what about request pics that used to fall under Anime and such. I moved them to the original/pics for freinds area (since they are others original characters. I hope I was right Uneasy
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Do you want Artist Character moved to original as well?[/quote]

That is the question . . . I kinda like seeing a separate category called 'Artist Character', so long as the people know that it's for pictures of their avatars and not simply original characters made by them. Even though I don't have any entries for it, it doesn't feel like it'll be the same without AC listed near the top of the list. Maybe it's just me though.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
LadyoftheDeadlyDance
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, I'll do that right now
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few more details to clear up any confusion...

First of all, yeah we could move the artist's and made up character categories and merge them I suppose... but that still leaves roughly 2000 pictures that aren't in any specific subcategory. Surprised Would stop people from submitting to them, though. See that's why Denis is God, and we are scum.

As for "Artist's Character", eventually we plan to have a plenty comprehensive subcategory system that caters to all that. Everything can still go into a subcategory for what it is (RP, random, fiction, etc.), just under the original>characters main sections to keep everything in one spot instead of three.

Requests are a gray area. Some have been rejected and told to be placed in a more descriptive category because if someone is looking for pictures of an original female character, they'll probably look in the original>characters>female section, not requests. But don't worry about those. The categories aren't nearly as big and are very minor fixes. Even we're not 100% positive about the final structure yet. Just look around and you'll see some of the weirdest categories still there...in the most ridiculous random places.

And people, still feel free to move your pics even when the Artist's and Random characters sections are merged with original>characters. They still should be moved to the best subcategory. Smile
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon the double post...

Now I remember why we hadn't merged Artist's Character and Made Up character yet... We can't move main categories. So that'll have to be up to you, Denis. :)

EDIT: I added some new original>characters subcats, though
Fyrsiel
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

................... okay. Today just is not my day. I just wrote a whole rant in here and I pushed the backspace button and the whole thing was DELETED because the page REFREASHED or something......

...... *fists shaking* ...... okay... breathing... calming dooown.... we will type it ALL over again.....

.... Right. So... I just had to submit a piece of work THREE times today because of this thing...

Now first of all, I never come to these forums. I hardly even visit this site anymore (because I don't get around to drawing very much. x__x; ) So I had no idea this "Origional/Artist Character" movement was going on...

So I uploaded my pic but it was not accepted and they said "We're sorry but we did not accept your picture because you need to put it in the 'Origional' section. The 'Artists Characters' section is overflowing so we're trying to clean it up."

So I figured "Hey, that's alright. I can do that. No problem."

So I looked up Origional and underneath that it said Characters.

Well that makes sense. My picture is of an Origional Character. So there. It's in.

It was rejected AGAIN and this time it was because I hadn't put it under "Origional>Characters>MALE"

...... Okay.... I can understand that we want to keep this whole site as orderly as possible. Order is good. We like order. We can FIND things better this way...

What made me annoyed was that I DID what the first person said and it was STILL rejected because the next person threw a whole other SECTION at me in the last minute...

Maybe I missed this section and it probably IS all my fault.... I've been TRYING to upload this same picture since last night....

Pardon this "rant" but after a while a thing like that can really kind of get on a person's nerves....

Um.... I suggest that when anyone or whoever it is that writes out these "reasons for why your work was not submitted" maybe they can try to be as specific as they can if they really want to keep ALL of these pictures under ALL of these different catagories...

... that "Sorry but you have to put it under Origional MALE characters" is just... it seemed rediculous to me for a minute there Like come on... does anyone else think that might be a tad TOO specific?...;;;; "Origional Character" seemed to be the right catagory at the time... :huh:
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I know it's frustrating, but hopefully you can understand this is a huge job that is going to take awhile to be fully fixed?

The best solution is for everyone when submitting to carefully check to make sure they're in the most specific subcategory available. That goes for any category. Moves, anime, real people, all of it. Make sure if you drew a character from a show, check to see if there's a subcategory for that character.

I always write my rejection messages as "original>characters>____" so hopefully the person knows to look for the best subcategory. But I know other people don't. The problem with specififying WHAT subcat is that most times the person doesn't specify in their description what kind of original character it is. Is it a RP character? From a story you wrote? That kind of thing. In that case, it's up to the artist to look at the subcats and decide which is best. Smile

Sorry for all the confusion. Once the categories are all cleaned up, it should be much easier.
Fyrsiel
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooh-kaaay.

You know what might be funny. XD If it had been you that had rejected my picture last...

*gotta love irony*

Well now I typed in a huge rant in my last discription because I didn't even think that the mods saw the descriptions. o O; They never say anything about the discriptions....

Here's another suggestion I wonder if it's possible to have done...

A big portion of the reason why I get annoyed with this kind of thing is that it will take me a while to type up a good description about my character and when the picture is not submitted, when I resubmit the picture I have to re-type that explination AAAAAALLL over again.

x__x; You can imagine how that can feel....

So my suggestion is that maybe you can copy and paste the description in those e-mails you guys send out as well. >_O; Is that something you can do? *If you are able to read those descriptions after all, that is?*

x X" yeah in the future I'll have to be especially careful at looking at... ALL the catagories. I have a supicion that the "Male" catagory hadn't been there that next time around though. o O; I think it might have been a newer catagory and I just had really bad timing or something...

I know you guys are doing all you can to make things easier. Nothing can every be perfect and all that stuff. x__X;;;;;;; But... GIYAH. It just really hasn't been my day today.

layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the one that rejected your picture the second time. It is unfortunate that the first rejection did not direct you into the proper category. But your picture has been approved now so no need to cry about it. Next time look through all the categories and their sub categories rather than just throwing it in the first category that looks right.

[quote]So my suggestion is that maybe you can copy and paste the description in those e-mails you guys send out as well. >_O; Is that something you can do? *If you are able to read those descriptions after all, that is?* [/quote]

Not a bad idea.

Also thanks for posting your complaint here. I trust you won't be posting it in your picture description anymore?
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have been. Razz Yeah, we see the pictures just as they appear on the site. I suppose we could copy and paste the descriptions, if there's no easy way to code it to send them with the email. Can't guarantee all the panel members will do it all the time, though. Especially when the list is huge. I'll personally try to paste in the long ones, though. Smile
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I suppose we could copy and paste the descriptions, if there's no easy way to code it to send them with the email.[/quote]

Considering that the rejection e-mail already includes the title of the picture rejected, it's (theoretically) not difficult to make it automatically include the other information (category, rating/content, keywords, but especially description) as well -- it would just put more work on Denis and the server to do it.

Count me in for that suggestion too, I also hate having to type up a description a second time.

As for the Original>Characters section, currently it has subcats for male/female/other/RP/written characters. Can it have a subcategory for "Avatars" (basically the same thing as "Artist Character") too? Avatars are their own type of character, they aren't necessarily RP characters, just a representation of the artist by that artist.

Which sorta reminds me....

Fantasy/Catpeople
Furries/Cats
Original/Nekos

Three categories that describe almost the same thing as each other.
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are. Yet another thing that needs to be done. There's tons of redundant categories thrown around.

There can be a section for avatars. I'll go do that now...
layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a huge description I usually copy and paste it for the person as I feel bad bout it. Sometimes I forget though. I'll do my best to do it more as I understand that it could be annoying.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion has a few purposes.
1. Make sure all the site users know what should go where.
2. Make sure the approval people all know what should go where
3. A place for general site users to offer input and suggestions on the category system that is still being re-designed.

[quote]A big portion of the reason why I get annoyed with this kind of thing is that it will take me a while to type up a good description about my character and when the picture is not submitted, when I resubmit the picture I have to re-type that explination AAAAAALLL over again.[/quote]
Paste your descriptions into a text file and save them.
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Paste your descriptions into a text file and save them.[/quote]

AH, the D-I-Y solution. Always available, yet never comes to mind. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: