Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Featured Art Proposals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="luckylace222"]There are some anatomy iffies, but she does have potential! I will have an eye out for her![/quote]

hmmm what are the iffies? too much cleavage?? Razz
Y'know what, it just occured to me that there is no featured artist on the main page anymore, with the new layout. Is there still going to be a featured artist section? Same with the poll seciton, are they on another part of the site that I am unaware of? Question
Music is the doorway to someones soul"
-ShadeArt
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm seeing with that one are some very strange proportional issues with the arms, and overly small hands. I can't speak for Luckylace, but I'm also not a fan of using blacks and grays to shade with; makes for very unnatural color and lighting. It's a nice picture, but I think I agree with her that maybe it isn't QUITE feature-worthy.

Sidenote, I noticed that too, that there's no featured artist. I thought maybe it was because there's so little activity it's hard to find someone new to feature? It's been difficult enough to find featured artwork.
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="K_Pepper"]What I'm seeing with that one are some very strange proportional issues with the arms, and overly small hands. I can't speak for Luckylace, but I'm also not a fan of using blacks and grays to shade with; makes for very unnatural color and lighting. It's a nice picture, but I think I agree with her that maybe it isn't QUITE feature-worthy.

Sidenote, I noticed that too, that there's no featured artist. I thought maybe it was because there's so little activity it's hard to find someone new to feature? It's been difficult enough to find featured artwork.[/quote]

Oh true! I didn't notice the unproportional hands before,a nd you're right about using the greys and blacks. I honestly can't stand grey on anything other than grey scale.

It is hard to find a feature worthy artist these days, with all the lack of activity on the site. why bother?
-ShadeArt
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be hard to find sometimes, but I think it's well worth it to reward talented, dedicated artists for their effort. The fanart in question is definitely close to being feature-worthy. Those were just my guesses as to, perhaps, why it wasn't featured.

Honestly, though, I think we should keep up with the art and the features and the contests. If the few active members give up, then we won't have anything. We're the ones who can bring it back!
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i keep on searching for feauture worthy artists, but i guess the filter of feature worthy artist's is rather low at this time.
In all the 4 years I've been on this site, I've never seen the site this unactive before. However, as you say, us few loyal members that are left will have to bring the site back to it's past "glory".
heh I was about to give up on the site myself but I changed my mind because I've been here for so long. Rolling Eyes
-ShadeArt
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/hokutochan15/829968/Trust-Me-Im-Doctor

I think that the amount of thought and effort that went into this one really counts for something. Personally, I love it, and even for chibis, I think it's feature-worthy!
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, sorry to double post. I felt this one was worth mentioning!

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Issy/830037/Fathom

As well as perhaps this:

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Raindrops/830020/Glass-speedpaint

I don't know if they're feature worthy in your eyes or not, but they're definitely good, and I hope they get some notice!
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinkster, because of your Sepheroith avatr, I keep thinking you are Sarah.

[quote="K_Pepper"]What I'm seeing with that one are some very strange proportional issues with the arms, and overly small hands. I can't speak for Luckylace, but I'm also not a fan of using blacks and grays to shade with; makes for very unnatural color and lighting. It's a nice picture, but I think I agree with her that maybe it isn't QUITE feature-worthy. [/quote]
Yes, since my expectations for realism are actually sort of high (since you are setting yourself up for many flaws since real anatomy is already set), I do not feature anatomically flawed realism art unless a great background, color scheme, or subtle creativity (etc) makes up for it. However, once again, I see much potential her getting to an even better level than she is now. I do my best to not exploit why someone's art is not featured. I like to concentrate more on how well that almost got to feature-potential.

[quote]Y'know what, it just occured to me that there is no featured artist on the main page anymore, with the new layout. Is there still going to be a featured artist section? Same with the poll seciton, are they on another part of the site that I am unaware of? [/quote]
[quote]Sidenote, I noticed that too, that there's no featured artist. I thought maybe it was because there's so little activity it's hard to find someone new to feature? It's been difficult enough to find featured artwork.[/quote]
I asked Denis (webmaster) about that. He did say something about how 1. waiting for an active feature-worthy artist was tedious 2. the new FAC homepage layout could not accommodate the "Featured Artist" box well. Personally, I would have been okay with keeping the Featured Artist interface. Even if the artist is old, at least we showed that we acknowledge and notice users that have stayed active and improved with FAC. It is actually a shame I became a site helper because I was aiming to become a Featured Artist. I WENT AROUND THE LOOP

I honestly think there is some psychology playing here. If you think FAC is dead, most inactive for years, and slow, then it is dead, inactive, and slow. Every time I came back from FAC, no matter what people told me, before I was a site helper, I just did the same thing every year. I got back in touch with old FAC friends, commented on other's art, drew my own art, made my blogs, and just contributed. Action makes a place less "dead." Many users that talk about how people do not comment on their art anymore do not comment on other's art and just wait for activity to come to them. That is not how popularity works whether on FAC or DA. Some people complain about the site organization/happenings to their friends, but they never go to forums to the bug/problem sessions or tell a site helper on the main page. Constantly emphasizing it is "dead" to newcomers with the ironic "welcome" does not help the popularity either. It is like you guys are already giving up. I, for one, will not ever say FAC has reached its low until I see no more reminiscent of it anywhere on any site or search engine. It has still left its mark, and the history it has still adds to its current potential and importance.

If I knew how to program and hack, I would have taken over FAC by now.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, Lucky. It was dead when I came back from my hiatus too, but I just stuck it out, commented on anything that interested me, and have been keeping up with the daily feature in my profile. I like to think it's helping. All it takes is a handful of active members to make the site seem less dead, but you can't be up here just to get attention for yourself. It doesn't work that way. It's a community, not a popularity contest. No matter how good or bad your art is, people are gonna notice you if you're active beyond your own little corner. I notice it goes in spurts even from week to week. So forget sites like Deviantart or Sheezy or Weasyl. People are here because they like FAC! So let's keep giving them something to like!
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you are saying Lucky. We sound pretty dead ourselves, saying FAC is dead and all that. We havent' given up though....yes. muaha!
it isn't as "dead" as it has been in the past that's for sure, it's picked up. However you are right. Only when you cannot fidn anything from FAC on the internet will the iste be "dead".

[quote]Yes, since my expectations for realism are actually sort of high [/quote]

I am pretty picky myself about proportion. I see a flaw and I'm all over it.
HEY THAT'S TO SMALL, or ISN'T THAT PART SUPPOSED TO BE ROUNDER??
kekeke.

[quote]Many users that talk about how people do not comment on their art anymore do not comment on other's art and just wait for activity to come to them. That is not how popularity works whether on FAC or DA.[/quote]

That is for certain. Most members expect comments and faves to be laid on a silver paltter in front of them without any recognition. That isn't how it works people!!

[quote]Tinkster, because of your Sepheroith avatr, I keep thinking you are Sarah. [/quote]

oh goodness. I've been mistaken for another member. I have been on this site a while. NO worries. I usually change my avatar regularily.

hehe, Sarah isn't the only one that is in love with that monster. lol
-ShadeArt
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of having a contest (when there are a certain amount of experienced/decent active artists) with certain invited artists (new or old) to join for a Featured Artwork. What do you guys think? It may be down the road when I can find enough artists. They would get a personal invitation through PM, but it might hurt the feelings of those that do not get invited. BAH.

[quote]Ack, sorry to double post. I felt this one was worth mentioning!

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Issy/830037/Fathom [/quote]
I really wanted to feature her artwork too, but the general rule is that you can only feature an FACer who has submitted around 10+ pictures and has proved they are not art thiefs. She just recently hit the 11 picture mark, so I am looking out for more of her great work. She is currently one of my more favorite new artists.

....It sounds like a FAC FACer's Got Talent up in here.

[quote]http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/hokutochan15/829968/Trust-Me-Im-Doctor

I think that the amount of thought and effort that went into this one really counts for something. Personally, I love it, and even for chibis, I think it's feature-worthy![/quote]
I thought about it, but it was still too simple, even for the anime style. I like to think there are better verticle-hanging pictures out there. However, I do like the artist!

[quote]http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Raindrops/830020/Glass-speedpaint

I don't know if they're feature worthy in your eyes or not, but they're definitely good, and I hope they get some notice![/quote]
This piece has some inconsistencies in texture/sharpness. However, I have been watching this artist carefully as well. I should really have a "FAC Black List" on my blog full of potential feature-worthy artists (new or old) so they can think they are in trouble.
[size=10]“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt [/size]
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this one probably goes without saying; Gety's work is always great. But here's another good one to consider!

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Gety/830114/Again-Best-Friends
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know Gety actually got featured as a Featured Artist, but I think that was like a few days/weeks before we changed to the new layout, lol.

Featured.
K_Pepper
Very bored

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that, actually. But sadly, there are no featured artists... for the moment! Maybe we can convince the powers that be otherwise when the site picks up again!
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I am thinking of having a contest (when there are a certain amount of experienced/decent active artists) with certain invited artists (new or old) to join for a Featured Artwork. What do you guys think? It may be down the road when I can find enough artists. They would get a personal invitation through PM, but it might hurt the feelings of those that do not get invited. BAH. [/quote]

I think that's a great idea. Might give the more ative members something to work for; look forward to. The ones that do not get invited would obviously be sour about it.... less active members and and noobs coudl understand though....maybe /Neutral
Then again there are always going to be sour members somewhere along the road. B-|
-ShadeArt
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Mechanism/831013/stress
-ShadeArt
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/anngelik/830709/Female-Violin

Absolutely gorgeous Shading and realism! really pulled off well, and it's really hard to draw instruments, I know from experience.
-ShadeArt
luckylace222
Site Helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/anngelik/830709/Female-Violin [/quote]
Indeed, the instrument is shaded well, but the rest of the body (and subtle background) could use more cleanup and clarity.

[quote]http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/Mechanism/831013/stress[/quote]
I adore that picture on unhealthy levels, but it still lacks the AROUND-INCREDIBLENESS. Basically, the character and pose itself is dynamic and beautiful, but I like to think there could be more added to the background and scenerio. I was very close to featuring it.

Keep the suggestions coming!
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]

[quote]http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/anngelik/830709/Female-Violin [/quote]

Indeed, the instrument is shaded well, but the rest of the body (and subtle background) could use more cleanup and clarity. [/quote]

damn... but look at those sleeves!! the wrinkles in the clothing and the face is so realistic. The background is very subtle, however maybe the artist wanted that so the focus could be on the main subject of the drawing. hmmm?

you are looking for pictures to be more flawless I take it?
-ShadeArt
Tinkster
Has No Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fanart-central.net/pictures/user/madamlaracroft/831290/Poetry-at-Night

lovely lighting and contrast in this, and the perspective is pretty spot on for the pocket watch. It's a bit iffy I know, but I had to suggest it and see.
-ShadeArt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 44 of 47

Jump to: