Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
what if everything is just a figment of our mind?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craze_aka_Everblight
Very bored

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: what if everything is just a figment of our mind? Reply with quote

ive always wondered this what if everything is just a figment of our mind and everyone we know isnt real. and are there other people than just us? are we even people? maybe we are just a floating brain what m i even talking about? what would this be like if i was stoned?

"In view a humble Vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vissisitudes of fate." - V for Vendetta
http://www.myspace.com/foreverblighted
disneylover66
Trapped in the 20th century

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought it, too.

But, honestly, we've come to know this as "reality", and even if it is just our imagonation, there's nothing wrong with it. Even as a figment of our imagination, it's still the same.

Accually, it may be better if nothing is really real. Nothing matters. No consequences.

The king's majestic calves can cover quite a distance.
Craze_aka_Everblight
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wow i thought i wuz the only one who thought that. maybe i am maybe tour just my imagination

"In view a humble Vaudevillian veteran cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vissisitudes of fate." - V for Vendetta
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those thoughts lead to serial killings and killings of family and friends
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Robo
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this recently. And when I asked my Dad, he came to the conclusion that it couldn't be a dream/it wasn't a figment of imagination because it felt so [and I quote] "real".

How do we know what "real" feels like? If this is all we have ever known, who is to say that it is not wrong? Who is to say that we all feel different things and label them as the same emotions [like the 'Do we all see the same colours' thread in this forum].

In your reality, the world revolves around you [not in a selfish way, but your conciousness is filled with your needs & wants and what you see, etc.], but in someone else's reality you do not exist because they do not know you, and vice versa. There are 6billion people on this planet, and to you, the majority of them do not exist.

Hn... It sounds like I'm rambling. With this sort of discussion I speak alot better when I'm actually talking about it, not typing.

If any of you understand what I just said I'd love to hear some feedback.

- Robo-Chan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
disneylover66
Trapped in the 20th century

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, but we may not know them, but our minds can do strange things. It could easily have created everyone.

And who's to say there are 6 billion people on this earth? You've never met them, and that is the only way to truely confirm that they exist, isn't it? For all you know, those people you see on the news and whatnot, could have just been temporarily imagined, and disappear after they'ree off. After you stop looking at them.

Also, who's to say that we aren't all dreaming? Maybe existance is everyone's dream, just combined into one. And don't say it's impossible. Physics, science, and all that, might only be true in this "dream," and not in real life.

The king's majestic calves can cover quite a distance.
NicholasDWolfwood
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, if this IS all just a dream, is real life just so terrible that we need to come here all the time? Is this just a watered down vershin of real life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq6q8fU9PiM

There's no I in Team. There's a Me though if you jumble it up.- Dr. House

92% of the teen population would be dead if Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore. Post this in your signature if you would be one of the 8% watching and laughing.
Robo
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Physics, science, and all that, might only be true in this "dream,"

Exactally. I'm not sure [and I'm not saying God does not exist] but if a God did exist wouldn't that pretty much disprove the laws of physics?

If you're interested in physics and philosophy [etc.] I'd reccomend getting the book "The Holographic Universe". It makes your brain melt [I'm just getting through it now] but it's very interesting.

- Robo-Chan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Throttle
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm an interesting question... and it might have something to do with ' how did reallity start and how it came to be what it is now?' or 'Does reallity exists at all and if it does not how are we here? ' or ' Where is "here" anyway? '

It is still a mistery that humans cannot understand or are forbidden to know by some higher entety such as this God we beleve in and some even worship. Or perhaps it is what you say: " maybe we are just a floating brain ", but that is unlikely.

[ Profile | Gallery | YouTube ]
p.s. Leaving FAC. See ya'll.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: Refrained myself from speaking out of line >_>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dellis
Newb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: what if everything is just a figment of our mind? Reply with quote

[quote="Craze_aka_Everblight"]ive always wondered this what if everything is just a figment of our mind and everyone we know isnt real. and are there other people than just us? are we even people? maybe we are just a floating brain what m i even talking about? what would this be like if i was stoned?[/quote]

Your thought, if given deep thought as you suggest, is self-refuting for in order for you to "know" what you are experiencing is an "illusion" you must first know what reality is. Without knowing what reality truly is you have no idea what an illusion or imagination is.
reityhe
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, like when you hear your voice on the telephone and it doesnt sound like you!

mod: What is this in response to? Specify a subject and PLEASE stay on topic. This makes no sense out of the context [or lack thereof] of which it is given in.
PhunkYMunkY
Site Helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you people say that you don't know what reality is ?!

"I think therefore I am." is the single most important line in human history when it comes to this kind of stupid, redundant shit.

To specificy a question, you need some anchor to make sure, universally, people you're asking can understand the question.

We are conscious which is our anchor.

None of this "Are we real?" crap 'cause there's no way of definately knowing so we have to take the proof and evidence as we find it, which is, if we're awake, we exist.

End.
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting awfully close to that whole "life after death" question, as if whether our sprits continue after our physical forms die. What would be real then? How would we experience our surroundings if any? For these types of questions, my personal responce is "Instead of dwelling on it now, I'll wait 'till I'm dead, because only then will I know the true answer."

Quote:
Exactally. I'm not sure [and I'm not saying God does not exist] but if a God did exist wouldn't that pretty much disprove the laws of physics?

That depends on your definition of "God". The way I've always defined God is as a placeholder for any question that science has not yet been able to answer.

Quote:
And who's to say there are 6 billion people on this earth? You've never met them, and that is the only way to truely confirm that they exist, isn't it?

That's pretty irrelevant. Where as the concept of reality is philosophical in nature and has no investigatable answer, there is a set number of people on this planet. We'll never have the precice number, but the answer still exisits and always will exist.

Quote:
yeah, like when you hear your voice on the telephone and it doesnt sound like you!

That's not an illusion. It's just distorted by the analog of recording technology, which is perfectly explainable.
Quote:

EDIT: lol! The topic starter has kiriban 42: "put some deep thought into this post". What is the meaning of life? double lol
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what if everything is just a figment of our mind? Reply with quote

Quote:
ive always wondered this what if everything is just a figment of our mind and everyone we know isnt real. and are there other people than just us? are we even people? maybe we are just a floating brain what m i even talking about? what would this be like if i was stoned?

I think this is called solopsism.

My counter to that is this:

If everything you know and experience is a figment of your mind, therefore, when you ask yourself a question, you should know the answer.

If you do not know the answer, then who placed those blocks upon you? And why can't you remove them?
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, It's would be hard for me to prove to myself that I'm real because for all I know I could just have two levels of imagination and dreams: one that believes it's reality and the other than believes it's reality in addition to recognizing the falsehood of the previous. What I mean by this is that when we dream, we don't know it. We just follow our stream of conciousness and don't give second thought to the possibility of events that occur. When we wake up, we are aware of our dreams and their falsehood, but we are still in a state of "reatlity" where we just follow the events of the day and don't think twice about them, just like in our dreams. For all we know our "reality" may be one very long, detailed, convincing dream embedded within another dream.

Although I can't prove my own reality to myself, I can be pretty sure of the reality of others because there's no way I'm creative enough to figure out a million different personalities and faces for all the people I've ever seen, met, or read about throughout my life.
Still very bored

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...then that would really suck cuz I didn't listen to "The Martix"

Mod: MAKE SURE YOUR POST PERTAINS TO THE TOPIC. NEXT TIME, IT WILL BE DELETED.
Sakura_Yasha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: what if everything is just a figment of our mind? Reply with quote

[quote="Craze_aka_Everblight"]ive always wondered this what if everything is just a figment of our mind and everyone we know isnt real. and are there other people than just us? are we even people? maybe we are just a floating brain what m i even talking about? what would this be like if i was stoned?[/quote]

Funny, i used to think that a lot, and it still sometimes crosses my mind.

When i was little i used to think we were all dolls and someone was playing with us, then when i got older my ideas of this "fake reality" matured.

i don't really care anymore, because even if it is, what can i do about it?

Things i can't do anything about, i tend not to do anything about it because i have been disapointed many times.

Mod: I'll thank you to keep your snotty attitude to yourself, thanks. And just making a single post stating "lol i didn't watch the matrix" or something to that sound is a COMPLETELY USELESS POST. And that was the point. Don't open your mouth unless it has something insightful. It's in the bloody rules; it might do you some good to read them.

Also, don't double post. Especially not with a post with that kind of rude statement with nothing to do with the topic. Deleted because it was just that asinine.
Craze_aka_Everblight
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eep ok yah i have been thinking about this alot again lately then i realized if it is all just our imagination then we would be able to do anything that we wanted to just by thinking hard enought then i thought what if our dreams are actually reality or sum form of it and what if "reality" is actually a dream... ill post back later

AngelusMortis
Very bored

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if we are just a dream, or if this really is reality. But either way, does it make a difference? So what if this is all a dream? Is there anything you can do about it, except to exist and be in the dream at this particular moment, and do what you've always been doing? Even when you dream, you don't think that nothing matters because it's just a dream. You act like you would if you assumed the dream was real. You don't know that it's a dream.

I did have thoughts that perhaps we were simply a part of a small molecule, although it might simply be an analogy to relating the size of the universe to what's outside of it, if it does exist. But we are all helpless to what "reality" really is. If I knew what it was, it wouldn't make a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Philosophical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: