Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gay Rights in New Jersey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
August
Still very bored

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Gay Rights in New Jersey Reply with quote

Did anyone else see the story about the advancement of Homosexual Rights in New Jersey? The court ordered that they now have to give gay couples the same rights as a regular married couple, but they are giving the state the right to choose whether to call the homosexual unions 'marriage', 'civil unions', or another name.

Does anyone feel strongly for or against this? Maybe someone from New Jersey has some feelings?
unfocused

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any strong feelings about this topic. Sexual preferences are something private, it shouldn't effect anyone else, and it's a personal matter for anyone who allows it to. It would just be a prejudice to keep marriage rights from a married couple on the grounds of their private lives.
London

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Jersey.

Mmmeh. Equal rights is a good thing, but I don't personally care about what it's called. Those people pushing for gay "marriage" don't really see it as a victory. It's just the court pushing onto other people a decision they don't want to make; it'll end up like Vermont.
jhonenfreak
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks ago I was a part of a political discussion where I argued for this exact position, and needless to say everyone disagreed with me.

I'm not going to fight for or against gay marriage because it isn't my battle to fight, but I do suggest compromise. I honestly believe that giving gay couples all the rights of straight couples but calling it a "civil union" is a happy medium because gay couples would be able to get all the same benifits as straight couples, yet marriage would still be defined as a bond between a man and women, which is all I belive the straight couples want to retain. The people I was discussing this with argued that such a possition was "separate but equal" (like black/white schools with the same amenities), but I disagree with that. A gay person has every right to get a marriage as a straight person, just as a straight person can get a civil union. What I mean by that is a gay person can marry someone of a different gender (even if they're not in love with them) just to get benifits just as a straight person can marry someone of the same gender. Such a thing is not uncommon in other contries allowing gay marriage. My economics teacher once mentioned a story about how two straight guys married only to receive benifits because they were roommates and were living together anyways. People from my disscusion group also argued that they wouldn't want to have a civil union with someone because it's not as personal, but I disagree because it's just on paper. Gay people can have wedding rings and call it a marriage all they want. "Marriage" and "civil union" would be nothing more than termanology on boring leagal documents. Gay people already live together, adopt children, have sex, etc., nothing of which straight homophobes could stop anyway, so the concept of a marriage/civil union would be strictly representing legal status and tax benifits. If it's all just legal mumbo jumbo, then the terms "marriage" and "civil union" would just be legal mumbo jumbo as well. Gay and strait people could refer to their bond as whatever they want and each receive the same benifits. It's equal, and certainly not separate.
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think marraige, or a union of any kind should be between a man and a woman. Umm, even if think otherwise you can't deny that the original plan was for men and women to be together. The proof is your body. Girls baodies are made for guys and guys bodies are made for girls. We're made this way so people can have kids. I'm a christian and believe there shouldn't be homosexuality. But i don't hate or even dislike homosexuals. i just dislike their life style and think they're confused.
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kamakazi"]I think marraige, or a union of any kind should be between a man and a woman. Umm, even if think otherwise you can't deny that the original plan was for men and women to be together. The proof is your body. Girls baodies are made for guys and guys bodies are made for girls. We're made this way so people can have kids. I'm a christian and believe there shouldn't be homosexuality. But i don't hate or even dislike homosexuals. i just dislike their life style and think they're confused.[/quote]

You do realise that those two statements are totally contridicting of eachother, right?
Kitzy
Super Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Brian had mentioned before, that person is a troll, so try not to take any of what they say to heart.
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kitzy"]As Brian had mentioned before, that person is a troll, so try not to take any of what they say to heart.[/quote]

I know, butits always fun to provoke trolls and idiotic n00bs till they get themselves banned.
Stereominate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against marriage in general.

It's such a bother then every third couple just gets divorced anyway.
It's not even a 'bond'. People have 'bonds' long before they get married. Or sometimes they develop 'bonds' after.

It's a nonsense mix of traditon, religion and legality.

Reminds me of christmas actually. Just replace legality with capitalism.
tarlrawksu
Very bored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewwwwwwwwww fags r bad and a girls Master says they should die and a girl sees his great wisdom and swoons b4 him cuz fags r gross bad and need to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mod: I sure hope this is an April Fool's post (and if it is, it's not even slightly funny). If not, do not post something like this again. Make sure your posts have an actual point, go read the rules, etc etc, or get out.
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarlrawksu wrote:
ewwwwwwwwww fags r bad and a girls Master says they should die and a girl sees his great wisdom and swoons b4 him cuz fags r gross bad and need to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this is an april fools post, or your screwed...
UnderUnion
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Christian, so as Zekk said, I don't hate gays. But I do think that the lifestyle is a twisted way to live, but it is up to the people who choose this lifestyle. Allthough, I think the idea of 2 men or 2 women going at it is sickening to the stomach...
Zekk
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnderUnion wrote:
I'm a Christian, so as Zekk said, I don't hate gays. But I do think that the lifestyle is a twisted way to live, but it is up to the people who choose this lifestyle. Allthough, I think the idea of 2 men or 2 women going at it is sickening to the stomach...

Why? Give me a good reason. And don't give me the "its not natural shit", it is. It occurs in nature and animals.
Lakilester13
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamakazi wrote:
I think marraige, or a union of any kind should be between a man and a woman. Umm, even if think otherwise you can't deny that the original plan was for men and women to be together. The proof is your body. Girls baodies are made for guys and guys bodies are made for girls. We're made this way so people can have kids. I'm a christian and believe there shouldn't be homosexuality. But i don't hate or even dislike homosexuals. i just dislike their life style and think they're confused.

i"m a christian too. But I like boys kissing. I'm not at the least bit homophobic. I like yaoi/shounen ai. And believe it or not I am 100% straight. Think, really think about lightening up a bit. Rolling Eyes
Lakilester13
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zekk wrote:
UnderUnion wrote:

Why? Give me a good reason. And don't give me the "its not natural s**t", it is. It occurs in nature and animals.

2 women is definatly sick, but 2 men? Laughing I don't give a crap.
Fayore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't make any sense. You just said that you weren't homophobic, but that is clearly a homophobic statement you just made. And try to stay on topic, okay?

I don't have any really strong feelings on the subject; I would probably have to liken my position to that of Amy's. I can't really comment too closesly because I don't know the legal issues that each side is fighting for, just that gay couples want the same legal rights tied into marriage as straight couples have. As for what it's called? I don't even know what the difference between calling something a civil union or a marriage is, lol. If the rights are all the same all around, what does it matter what it's called? Hmm...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lakilester13
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...i worded that wrong. I meant to say im not lesbian. I just live with a family that thinks I am so that's probably making me fly off the handle, gosh I'm sorry anyways, i dont know if I support gay marriage. Come to think of it, most of my fav singers are gay. That doesnt' matter though, because Jersey and other states should have gay rights. I'm a christian and this is clearly defiance, but.,..
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Ney Jersey. It is slightly weird that in one state it's ok and in another it's Armeggedon wrong Confused
Benk
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying gay people should only be allowed to marry in one state? I ought to marry a girl in California just to piss you off.
And don't necropost.
darksoul666
Very bored

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I dont mean to say that at all. I mean that I find it strange that there are different laws in different states. I thought it was the "United" States of American and not just a bunch of states joined togetther with different laws.
I think that gay people should get married in any State but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: